6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Drove an 08 - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Pourinthecoal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove an 08 - Impressions

Took one for a spin yesterday at my excellent local dealership in Dawson Creek, BC. Here are some thoughts:

1. Start-up: It wasn't that cold (about -5 C) and started with no popping and missing. Quite a bit smoother than my 6.0L. Awesome. Salesman mentoned the -23C and over thing for starting.

2. Injector Rattle: Just like the 6.0 but about 20% quieter. Sounded REAL good! Not nearly as quiet as the Cummins or LBZ Duramax.

3. Exhaust note: What exhaust note? Completely silent at the tailpipe. The smell of the exhaust was virtually scentless when warm. At start-up, still no smoke but a smell like very manipulated diesel smoke. Very different smell. I'm a straight-pipe type of guy, but I gotta admit I like the whole thing of no smell and no sound. Really cool.

4. Interior: Gotta hand it to Ford on this one, the interior is the best I've ever been in. There was a King Ranch in the shop (someone threw a rock through the back window), and it was awesome. Nice guages, steering wheel controls, and A/C. Seats are more comfy than my 04 King. No lights on running boards.

5. Overall body: Basically the same as all the others except the mirrors and grill. The engine compartment was very cluttered. Not sure how an air intake would work in this mess. Also, I noticed a heak sink cover on the back diff - great idea!

6. Power: Okay, I will grant that there was a little less turbo lag, but not much. Overall, I was disappointed with the power. As others have said, its a tad bit more than a stock 04-05 6.0L, but probably not as much as an 03 6.0 (and definately no less lag). The tranny shifted harder than the 6.0 TorqShift, and was very positive. I would say a 6.6 LBZ or LMM would wax this engine stock (and since the computer isn't as complicated as the Fords, they should be easily chipped, so the chip issue may be a seal for me). As well, my trusted mechanic wasn't around so I could get his take on chips and exhausts, but another mechanic said as of now no exhaust mods, and chips (if available) probably won't be covered.

7. Boost: NO! I never hit anything close to 42PSI as some Ford literature is saying. Its still high though, I got it up to about 34 PSI on the guage.

8. Overall feel: Very quiet truck in and out, at full accel still had a hint of that racy sound. The ride was incredible, I'm sure its the best on the market right now. Its gonna be a toss up for me whether to go with a new GM or a new Ford.

Ford positives: best ride, handling, interior, and features. Stock engine is very nice. Factory 20" rims. Im' a Ford man!
GM Positives: 6 speed auto with gear select, engine will easily accept a chip, more power. Will NEED a lift and wheels...

Overall, I have to say that this will be the top truck of the next few years. The only way it would be a lock for me is a 6 speed auto and a matching warranty with the GMs.

So its a tough prospect. I did go over the order sheet for a FULL LOAD King Ranch... $74,000 (CAD). How much could i get these guys down to? The interest rates are good though - 2.9 for 60, 0.9 for 36.

What are you guys getting these trucks for? I was hoping for 6000-8000 below sticker... can I get more or is this too much?!

Thanks for the help, hope this review gave you a better idea of the trucks.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM
dunbar15
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pourinthecoal
Took one for a spin yesterday at my excellent local dealership in Dawson Creek, BC. Here are some thoughts:

1. Start-up: It wasn't that cold (about -5 C) and started with no popping and missing. Quite a bit smoother than my 6.0L. Awesome. Salesman mentoned the -23C and over thing for starting.

2. Injector Rattle: Just like the 6.0 but about 20% quieter. Sounded REAL good! Not nearly as quiet as the Cummins or LBZ Duramax.

3. Exhaust note: What exhaust note? Completely silent at the tailpipe. The smell of the exhaust was virtually scentless when warm. At start-up, still no smoke but a smell like very manipulated diesel smoke. Very different smell. I'm a straight-pipe type of guy, but I gotta admit I like the whole thing of no smell and no sound. Really cool.

4. Interior: Gotta hand it to Ford on this one, the interior is the best I've ever been in. There was a King Ranch in the shop (someone threw a rock through the back window), and it was awesome. Nice guages, steering wheel controls, and A/C. Seats are more comfy than my 04 King. No lights on running boards.

5. Overall body: Basically the same as all the others except the mirrors and grill. The engine compartment was very cluttered. Not sure how an air intake would work in this mess. Also, I noticed a heak sink cover on the back diff - great idea!

6. Power: Okay, I will grant that there was a little less turbo lag, but not much. Overall, I was disappointed with the power. As others have said, its a tad bit more than a stock 04-05 6.0L, but probably not as much as an 03 6.0 (and definately no less lag). The tranny shifted harder than the 6.0 TorqShift, and was very positive. I would say a 6.6 LBZ or LMM would wax this engine stock (and since the computer isn't as complicated as the Fords, they should be easily chipped, so the chip issue may be a seal for me). As well, my trusted mechanic wasn't around so I could get his take on chips and exhausts, but another mechanic said as of now no exhaust mods, and chips (if available) probably won't be covered.

7. Boost: NO! I never hit anything close to 42PSI as some Ford literature is saying. Its still high though, I got it up to about 34 PSI on the guage.

8. Overall feel: Very quiet truck in and out, at full accel still had a hint of that racy sound. The ride was incredible, I'm sure its the best on the market right now. Its gonna be a toss up for me whether to go with a new GM or a new Ford.

Ford positives: best ride, handling, interior, and features. Stock engine is very nice. Factory 20" rims. Im' a Ford man!
GM Positives: 6 speed auto with gear select, engine will easily accept a chip, more power. Will NEED a lift and wheels...

Overall, I have to say that this will be the top truck of the next few years. The only way it would be a lock for me is a 6 speed auto and a matching warranty with the GMs.

So its a tough prospect. I did go over the order sheet for a FULL LOAD King Ranch... $74,000 (CAD). How much could i get these guys down to? The interest rates are good though - 2.9 for 60, 0.9 for 36.

What are you guys getting these trucks for? I was hoping for 6000-8000 below sticker... can I get more or is this too much?!

Thanks for the help, hope this review gave you a better idea of the trucks.

THANKS FOR THE INFO, GOOD STUFF, I WISH I HAD A SPARE 40k AROUND TO BUY A XLT, MAYBE IN A FEW YEARS

Old 02-17-2007, 01:50 PM
schmidt64
Elder User
I looked at an 08 F250 XLT in Kelowna, BC, Canada with a MSRP of $53,189 and they immediatly offered it to me at $49,900 without me offering anything, you think there is room for me to go lower? How much lower should I be able to go than the MSRP?

Old 02-17-2007, 02:03 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info....Though I must note that you though the tranny shifted harder than the 6.0 tranny, that might be the case now with very few miles on it just wait about 500 miles and that tranny will shift smoother than any trany in a superduty. The reason why I say this is cause of the trans computer has to figure out a shift strategy, When I picked up my '05 Mustang GT with the auto tranny it shifted pretty hard for about the first 500 miles and then after that it was super smooth even under hard throttle. The downside to this is that if you disconnect battery power the tranny will have to learn its shift strategy all over again but its worth the wait. So again just give that trans a chance to learn a shift strategy and it will shift nice and smooth and most likey smoother than any previouse trans in the superduty.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
dunbar15
Senior User
Originally Posted by schmidt64
I looked at an 08 F250 XLT in Kelowna, BC, Canada with a MSRP of $53,189 and they immediatly offered it to me at $49,900 without me offering anything, you think there is room for me to go lower? How much lower should I be able to go than the MSRP?
I THINK IF YOU WAIT A FEW MONTHS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET THEM FOR
1k OVER DEALER INVOICE, I ALWAYS BASE MY DEAL ON DEALER INVOICE PRICE, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET DEALER INVOICE PRICES ON NADA.COM, IF NOT NOW SOON FOR THE 08'S .. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET THEM DOWN TO 500 OVER INVOICE EVENTUALLY.. YOU SHOULDNT BE PAYING ANYWHERE CLOSE TO MSRP. THE DEALER ALSO GETS A 3% KICKBACK ON EVERY VEHICLE THEY SELL SO DONT LET THE PULL THE , "I'M NOT MAKING ANY MONEY ON THIS TRUCK BULL"

Old 02-19-2007, 12:40 PM
kingfish
Junior User
I ordered my 450 at 500.00 over invoice.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
74k? are they mad?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
QPS
New User
Dealer selling at invoice here in Indy...I wouldn't pay a dime over invoice...

Old 02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am with Guthrie&co---$74K, even in Canadian, is out of sight. I have seen a Lariat F450 loaded in TX for $53xxx.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
74k? are they mad?
hE WROTE 74,000(cad)

tHAT MEANS CANADIAN DOLLARS TO US CAROLINA BOYS

Old 02-20-2007, 10:29 AM
cads03
Senior User
Originally Posted by QPS
Dealer selling at invoice here in Indy...I wouldn't pay a dime over invoice...
I agree. The dealers are making good money on these trucks at invoice price. So anything you guys are paying over invoice is just more money in their pocket. That said though.......supply and demand. Right now, demand is high and supply is low.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
jester01911
New User
I ordered an 08 F350 DRW with pw pdl pm cc tilt 4x4 tow comand and tow boss heavy duty ALT XL decour package and few other options base price is 43640 dealer invoice is 40106.10 and Im paying 38461 although thats employee discount Im also getting spray in bedliner thrown in this is in southern california

Old 02-22-2007, 06:41 AM
dunbar15
Senior User
Originally Posted by jester01911
I ordered an 08 F350 DRW with pw pdl pm cc tilt 4x4 tow comand and tow boss heavy duty ALT XL decour package and few other options base price is 43640 dealer invoice is 40106.10 and Im paying 38461 although thats employee discount Im also getting spray in bedliner thrown in this is in southern california
THATS A GREAT DEAL, I THINK YOU CAN GET EM A LITTLE LOWER WHEN YOU ORDER THEM, AS SOMEONE WROTE IN A PREVIOUS POST, LITTLE SUPPLY OUT THERE

Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 PM
08f450SD
New User
i have 2500 km(1500miles) and and spools way faster then my buddys 03 6.0. when i first got it it would only boost 35 psi but now it is reaching 40 psi, not great fuel mileage with 4.30 gears. hopefully its not lemon like some of the early 6.0. I'm impresed with how quiet it is driving down the road, tough to tell your driving a diesel. just my thoughts.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Fordbronco69
Infidel

Ford=solid front axle
Gm=Independent suspension

Nuff Said.

Im gonna wait till there are a few extra 08's on the lot...then haggle the price down to where im stealing it from them.

Quick Reply: Drove an 08 - Impressions