1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

ABS Light On

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 08:19 AM
ddearth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS Light On

Hello,
First post, but very big fan of site. Thank you all a million times for the information you provide here.
I have a 1998 Expy XLT 4x4 with about 142K miles. I live in Dayton Ohio and we just got a bunch of snow and ice this week. I was driving down a road that had not been touch by a snow plow and the snow was about 8-14" deep in areas with the top being about 1-2" ice. I made it through no problem but later in the day I noticed my ABS light staying on. When I looked in the manual it just says that it's ok to drive but get it looked at as soon as possible.
I'm an amateur DYI with not a lot of experience with auto mechanics, but I've been doing a lot of stuff on my Expy and 1996 F-150 my self lately and feel confident I can tackle this with no problem. I would like a little guidance and pointing in the right direction.
I had seen a post from projectSHO89 to search for ABS* but for some reason I was kicked out of the search for too many searches?
If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank youEmail Me

Old 02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
tommyleea
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to preface this with my experience about this is on a much older vehicle. On my older vehicle the sensor was located in the rear differential. If this is the case on yours possibly the deep snow has affected the connection in some way. Take a look underneath, and see if it is still connected, or maybe iced over. Just a thought, and it is easy to check.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:25 PM
whotnow
Freshman User
If it has 4 wheel ABS, the front hubs can get packed w/snow and cause an error.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:49 PM
wrobo23
Elder User
id say there's an obstruction/snow had a factor with this - othewise check your brakes out as well. i had a car a few yrs ago and abs came on about a week b4 i realized my brakes were shot. check out the undercarriage and brakes and it's probably one or the other

Old 02-17-2007, 12:07 PM
ddearth
New User
Thanks for all the replys. I will check the sensors and brakes soon. I think I need new pads in the rear, maybe that is a factor. I will update when I find something out.
Thanks.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:54 PM
ddearth
New User
Strangest thing, my ABS light went off by itself. I haven't done anything to the truck, and yet the light has disappeared. Any thoughts?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM
highlandescape
Freshman User
could be that the snow or ice that caused the light has melted and the system reset itself on start up

Old 03-06-2007, 09:11 PM
jlripple
New User
Wink abs light

Is the light yellow or red? It makes a difference and I am getting the same "yellow light.I read about this at the Library on " ALLDATA" it is a paid web site that my Library has. The light has a meaning and if you notice it will flash a number of times and that is a code for your problem! There are many errors that this flashout will conclude to. Find the "flash"codes for your truck (maybe at your library,ask the librarian if they have that. or call your dealer they can tell you where you can get the codes. It more then likely is a brake cylinder malfunction,worn cylinder or pads or adjustment. keep me posted My truck won't even run~!! last time I drove it the yellow Rear ABS light was flashing on and off,I did not pay attention to the number of times ,I didin't know it made a diff!
It don't run now,I thought it may have something to do with the Brake sensors?
was Ford smart enough to disengage the power to the ignition module so the truck won't start until the brakes are fixed? Thinking outside the box

Old 03-07-2007, 08:18 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 884 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by jlripple
Is the light yellow or red? It makes a difference and I am getting the same "yellow light.I read about this at the Library on " ALLDATA" it is a paid web site that my Library has. The light has a meaning and if you notice it will flash a number of times and that is a code for your problem! There are many errors that this flashout will conclude to. Find the "flash"codes for your truck (maybe at your library,ask the librarian if they have that. or call your dealer they can tell you where you can get the codes. It more then likely is a brake cylinder malfunction,worn cylinder or pads or adjustment. keep me posted My truck won't even run~!! last time I drove it the yellow Rear ABS light was flashing on and off,I did not pay attention to the number of times ,I didin't know it made a diff!
It don't run now,I thought it may have something to do with the Brake sensors?
was Ford smart enough to disengage the power to the ignition module so the truck won't start until the brakes are fixed? Thinking outside the box
The ABS light does NOT flash fault codes (except the RABS-only version, and then only when placed into diagnostic mode).

There is ZERO interaction between the ABS system and the vehicle not running.

Red BRAKE light condition, (ie, low fluid) will also force yellow ABS light to ON (and disables the ABS system).

Yellow ABS fault light is due to an ABS-specific fault, often the rear diff sensor.

Steve

Old 03-07-2007, 08:59 AM
ddearth
New User
The light is yellow, and it is back again. I think I need new pads in the rear but haven't had time to get yet. I think I will do this soon.
How does the parking brake relate to the regular brakes? When I apply parking brake I get nothing. My driveway is on a slight incline and I tried the parking brake the other day and it just started to roll down the driveway. If my rear pads are shot, they could be the cause of all my problems correct? I replaced the front rotors and pads on the front last year. Hawk pads and Brembo plain rotors. I was thinking of getting hawk pads for the rear as well, but also considered something cheaper just because the rear brakes don't seem to work near as hard as the front. What do you guys think? I noticed the whole setup on Ebay for $103 including shipping. Kinda considering these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-20...mZ190088579182

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave

Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
c_hohensee
Elder User
The parking brake uses separate shoes using a drum brake setup that is inside the rear rotor.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:23 AM
davisenvy
Senior User
I had this same problem. It was a $24 fix. It was on the rear diff. and was held on by one plug and one screw. EASY FIX!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
My '98 is doing the same thing. I was spining the tires in the snow. The light comes and goes. Sometimes when the light is not on the ABS will start modulating and then the light comes back on. I have a leaking left rear axle seal. The fluid was half a quart low. The fill plug was covered with metal sludge. I am assuming the ABS sensor on the top of the differential is covered also causing false readings. My driveway is to muddy to jack it up right now. I need to get it in and pull the sensor and clean it. I'll probably end up having to replace it though. I want to try the cleaning first.