Has anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
svt rules
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried this?

I have a 1997 f-150 shortbox with the 4.2l engine and automatic transmission. The only performance add on I have done is put in a new k&n air filter system. I was wandering if anyone out there ever tried to put a true dual exhaust system on their truck without the cat. converters. I was thinking of something like glasspacks for mufflers but it may not sound very well.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:07 PM
G'sRed99F150
Senior User
I've done the same with mine, but left the cats on due to legalities.I have the K&N, and true duals, went with the Dynomax muffler, most around here go with the Flowmasters. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't spend the cash on the 4.2 for true duals. It has been debated quite a bit, and louder isn't always better, the timming on these motors seems to make it sound a bit "Ricey" at higher RPMs. I don't regret it, but it isn't what I expected.Hope this helps.I'm a V8 guy trapped with a V6, but I can't beat the millage and reliability.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
svt rules
New User
Thanks for the reply. Thats the problem I dont want the exhaust to sound to ricey like you mentioned. I had chambered turbo tube mufflers on my 5.4l before and it sounded great with a nice rap. This truck though I had taken off the cats. I guess the only way to find out is to spend the money and hope it sounds close to what I like. The obvious being the 4.2l wont compare to that of the 5.4.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 PM
f150v602
Senior User
ive been debating on taking the cats off of my 02 4.2 for a while. i just cant figure out how to get around the damn o2 sensors so it wont throw codes and make my truck run lean or rich. ive been told about risistors to put in them but the pics ive seen make it look like a cheesy mod. if there were dummy sensors out there that had resistors built in them so i could cut my cats i would spend the money and do it in a heartbeat. these 4.2s will run if there allowed to breath.

2002 f150 scab swb
flowmaster exhaust
custom air intake
ngk plugs

mods wanted:
underdrive pully system
duel electric cooling fans
hurst short thorow shifter
TURBO (wishfull thinking)

Old 03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Did the resistors after the catalysts magically disintegrated due to steel-rod impact.

Works fine. Covered the resistors with heat shrink and they look no better or worse than any other truck part. I've seen plugin resistors but didn't feel like paying that much.

No one's going to see it unless you roll the truck. The cat metal is thicker than most aftermarket pipe, so that got welded back together instead of changed out.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
budman-mo
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So what resistors did you use?

Just curious on how to do this.