Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Changed oil now have problems Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 PM
canadian mole
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed oil now have problems Help

Hi All I changed my oil yesterday I used a Castrol GTX Diesel 15 40 and some Lucus oil additive and now when I first start the truck It surges and stalls for a few seconds and then when I started to drive it had no power for a couple of seconds and then was fine. It has done this twice now and I am shakeing my head as to figure out what I could have possible screwed up in an oil change. Thanks for your help..

Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you have the SES light come on or any codes?

Old 02-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
What brand and grade have you been using? If not castrol, why did you go with that? I use Rotella from wally,15-40. Thought about running syn this winter as it is getting rougher with age but heck, a few more weeks and I'm good again. I put about 5-10 miles a week on my truck on average. Company car you know.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:45 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by canadian mole
Hi All I changed my oil yesterday I used a Castrol GTX Diesel 15 40 and some Lucus oil additive and now when I first start the truck It surges and stalls for a few seconds and then when I started to drive it had no power for a couple of seconds and then was fine. It has done this twice now and I am shakeing my head as to figure out what I could have possible screwed up in an oil change. Thanks for your help..
One thing I would stop doing is adding the Lucus... It foams really bad in our trucks and can cause hard starts and idle issues. Have you checked the oil level? When you say it has done this twice, do you mean in a row, or in deferent conditions? Hot or cold?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:07 AM
canadian mole
Junior User
This was my first old change so not sure what was in it before. It has done it twice as in two mornings in a row. and no error or other warning lights come on. It just runs ruff to start This is now the Third morning since the old change and I just ran out and checked the oil leves and they are good. Started the truck and it ran ruff for only 3-4 seconds and then idled fine. but when I steped on the gas It had no power and would not rev up at all after 40 seconds or so all was fine. The Lucus additive was thick maybe to thick? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:12 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I'm assuming you live in Canada (per your user name). What outside temps are you averaging at startup?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
canadian mole
Junior User
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
I'm assuming you live in Canada (per your user name). What outside temps are you averaging at startup?
Just above freezing 4-5C in the morning.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:48 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
The reason I asked about the temp was because I was wondering if part of the problem could be fuel gelling.

After the engine warms up does your problem go away?

I would do what CSIPSD recommended, in addition, many folks during colder weather use a 5W-40 diesel oil in these engines. Also, swap out your fuel filter on top of the engine while you are at it.

Keep posting your results - there are some great folks on this site and you will have your problem figured out.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 AM
canadian mole
Junior User
Yes it is only on the first start up in the morning my wife just drove it to town and said it did it for a couple of seconds on startup and then was fine. and when she came out of the store and started it later it did not do it at all. So it probably is the oil additive as it was very thick going in. Now will this hurt my truck or should I now change the oil again? The cold weather in the area of BC that I live in should be done for the year so will this go away as it gets warmer? any suggestions would be great as this is my first Diesel and I am learning as I go with huge help from this site of course!!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canadian mole
Yes it is only on the first start up in the morning my wife just drove it to town and said it did it for a couple of seconds on startup and then was fine. and when she came out of the store and started it later it did not do it at all. So it probably is the oil additive as it was very thick going in. Now will this hurt my truck or should I now change the oil again? The cold weather in the area of BC that I live in should be done for the year so will this go away as it gets warmer? any suggestions would be great as this is my first Diesel and I am learning as I go with huge help from this site of course!!
I had surging, romp, romp, on a cold start ups ever since the truck was new.. I changed to Shell Rottela T Synethic 5w-40 last year and what a difference.. !! No more romp, romp. The engine runs quieter and I understand the synethic is also better for your turbo.. It's more money, but worth every penny in my book.. You can stretch out the time between oil changes, so that help counter the extra cost abit..

Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
If it was my truck I would dump the oil, change the oil anf fuel filter (since you just got it and don't know when it was changed). Some oils that should be east to get quickly (walmart or an automotive store) are:

Shell Rotella synthetic 5W-40. 5W-40 works better during cold temps
Chevron Delo 400 15W-40
Schaeffer's 7000 or 9000 series diesel oil

After you do this plug the engine block heater in at night (you should find the plug on the drivers side, lower portion of the grill- just hook up an extension cord an plug her in the wall socket) and you should be good to go if the oil/additive was the problem. When you are ready to change the oil again consider adding in a bypass system (like www.oilguard.com), if you use a single bypass system, do an oil analysis (www.blackstone-labs.com) with a quality oil like Schaeffer's or Delo 400 (and some others) you can go 10,000 miles+ between oil changes.

Last edited by white Buffalo; 02-13-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:08 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Just keep driving it, give it a little longer to warm up before you take off in the AM and it will run better. The oil will break down over the next few days and will get better.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:00 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
I wouldn't drop the oil either. The winter is nearly over (I hope) and I would live with it for another few weeks. I also wouldn't use the Lucas anymore. I tried the Castrol oil a couple of times and my truck didn't like it at all. It used more and didn't run as well as on Rotella. You might consider another brand on your next change.
Joe

Old 02-14-2007, 06:37 AM
lancer
Elder User
I have to agree with the synthetic. I live in canada as well. It was about 0F or -20c with the windchill. My truck sat at my buddies farm with the wind blowing through the grill. I am running 5w50 synth. What a differance it has made. My truck started right up! I didn't think it would but it did. Last 2 winters i ran 15w40 and always had the womp prob. Now the womp is gone! I do plug it in on a timer. It runs from 6am to 9am. When i started the truck yesterday it was about 2:30pm so i figure any heat from the block heater would be gone. Try plugging your truck in for a couple of hours before you start it and see what happens. Hope this helps

P.S Welcome to the club!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 AM
cnd999
Senior User
On my last oil change in Dec I went with the more economical dino Rotella 15/40 and this caused my truck to start much harder on very cold day than with 5-40 Rotella. So I agree with the others that say thinner lower number in winter. I won`t ever use anything other than that in the future.

Quick Reply: Changed oil now have problems Help