1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Heditīs mustang II power rack and pinon kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Heditīs mustang II power rack and pinon kit

on the following website http://www.heidts.com/heip27.htm#power

Article number SC-261.

Is this a complete rack with pinon or is it just a "hook up kit" with nuts and bolt.

Maybe a stupid question but I am from Sweden and I dont always understand the language.

I am thinking of rebuilding my F100 -56 with mustang II front suspension.

Best regards Jimmy

Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is just the shafts and couplers to hook the rack to the column. No rack and pinion.

If you want the complete Mustang II suspension with crossmember and related parts you are looking at a U.S. cost of $1500 to $2500 depending on the one you select.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:08 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Thanks LEchart

Yes I have seen the complete mustang II complete kits thats available on the U.S market but with Swedish tax, shipment and tull, the price ends up at about $2500 to $4000 depending on a number of things.

My plan was to by the spindles, power rack with pinon, adjustable coilovers from heditīs and a dynalite big brake kit from wilwood. Then the rest like crossmenber and the A-arms I can manufacture by my self, I have the possiability at my work to make everything in 3D-modeling Pro Engineering, This way i hope to save about $2200. If I count on the more expensive version.

Does anyone know where I can find a priceworthy power rack with pinon?

Are the length of the rack different if its for two different cars with different track width?

Best regards

Jimmy

Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
It is critical for proper steering geometry that the flex point int the R&P arms be at the same point as the pivot of the lower control arm if you are looking down from above. This way the outer shafts travel in the same arc as the control arm. Otherwise every time you hit a bump in the road the wheel will steer in a different direction (hence the term for this condition is called "bump steer") a very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous driving experience. So the answer to your last question is yes they are different lengths for different track widths and geometries and need to be matched to the specific application.
We understand the language issues. if there is anything you don't understand ask again, we are here to help.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jimcar-9

You know, several people on FTE have been looking at the Jag IFS and IRS lately. You might want to do a search and read the past conversations to see if that option would be more cost effective for you.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Thanks AXracer

Now I am a little bit confused, on this website (heiditīs) http://www.heidts.com/heisinfo.htm

they say that the flex point on the R&P must be in line with the inner flex point the upper and lower control arm seen from the front.

My acctual question in the last reply was, is the total length of the rack possible to adjust (cut) if my trackwidth i a littlebit narrower than mustang II orginial.
i.e:
1 Is it possble to modify the length of the piece between the flex point and the connection point on the spindle?
2 Is it possible to modify the lenght of the rack between the two flex points?

Does anyone know what the trackwidth of the mustang II original suspension is?

Best regards Jimmy

Old 02-07-2007, 11:33 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
The original MII trackwidth was narrower than our trucks by several inches IIRC. You would need to lengthen both the inner and outer links. Heidt's is saying basically the same thing just looking at it from a different direction. There are companies that offer different length inner and outer links, or a competent machinist could make them.
I would agree with LEckart though, and recommend checking out the Jag SJ IFS and IRS swap as a better and more economical alternative.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:41 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Thanks everyone

Yes I have been looking at the JAG IRS & IFS and I have already bought a XJ6 Rear suspension but I am a littlebit unsure on the front suspension. I have found a lot more aftermarket stuff to the M II front suspension.
Does anyone know if Wilwood has brake kit for the JAG front and rear suspensions. I have been searching for this but not been so succssesful.
I will also search a little bit more here to find some more info on the JAG front suspension.
When you say that the JAG front suspension is better than the M II is it just from economical point of view or is it something more??

Best regards Jimmy

Old 02-08-2007, 07:30 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
The Girling brakes that are OEM on the Jag are every bit as good as any aftermarket product, so there is no reason to change them. That is the beauty of the Jag, you don't have to replace ANYTHING! Just unbolt the front crossmember from under the Jag, roll it under the truck's frame and practically bolt it in! It just needs a little trimming to the crossmember or the frame, the Jag mounting points are about 1" narrower than the 56 frame, and fabbing a couple U brackets for the forward mounting bolts. The springs are the right stiffness, as is the shocks and swaybar. The R&P steering is already in place just hook it to your column. The suspension parts are all designed for a 4000 pound nose heavy vehicle just like our trucks. The geometry is superior for handling and ride, the SJ is a sports touring sedan designed for high speed control and comfort, and is the perfect match for the SJ IRS you are using, why even consider anything else?
Here's an excellent article on the Jag install in a 55:
http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/garage_s...e/page%201.htm

Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM
axman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.cwiinc.com/index.html
these guy have Wilwood brakes (if needed) so they make them and and if you want to install irs with out the cage , the have a install kit ( but they show it on their site) for about $650, or heres a good page on how to install it http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/Technica...r/tech_jag.htm

Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Thanks for the great links. I really have to consider the jag front suspension

Old 02-09-2007, 01:02 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
AXracer:

I have a XJ 6 rear suspension, is that the same suspension as SJ ??

Is it a SJ IFS to look for what year of manufacture should I look for?

Best regards

Jimmy

Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I'm sorry, that should have been XJ not SJ.
This thread is very long, but worth reading:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...hlight=jag+ifs

Last edited by AXracer; 02-09-2007 at 07:25 AM.