6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Used sct tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:20 PM
supermanpsd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Used sct tuner?

I just placed a bid on a used sct tuner on ebay. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on using this and how to download new programs because the seller does not have the manual. any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-04-2007, 01:22 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
You need to make sure that it's not been used on so many different vehicles (5 different) that it's not locked. If it has then it's worthless unless SCT will unlock it for you.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by supermanpsd
I just placed a bid on a used sct tuner on ebay. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on using this and how to download new programs because the seller does not have the manual. any help would be greatly appreciated
Remember you get what you pay for.

Buy from a sponsor here at FTE and get a warrenty, get a new unit in a box, get tech support, get the latest model, or at least choose one that fits your needs, and some offer custom tunes to suit your desires.

On EBAY you get price... and with no manual... makes me wonder. Why screw up your truck with a such an item??

If you are willing to "pay to play".... then at least do it the right way... learn here first, then research it more... then buy it from an FTE sponsor who can not afford to have you bad mouth them on the boards.... so their C/S will probably be pretty good too.

On the other hand.... you buy it from EBAY or some other person... then expect to come here for possible tech help????? That's why a "good buy" is not just price alone... it is price, quality and service.... and I personally put more weight into "service"... but that is me!!

Good luck.... and I am sure a few of the resident techs and sponsors who work with tuners and the various brands will be able to offer some insight.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 PM
supermanpsd
Junior User
I did not see any sct dealers in the sponsor section. I did go to their website and no prices so I searched on ebay and found one that a guy was selling his truck and did not need anymore and was very cheap compared to new. If my bid does not take, then I will search for someone on here to buy from and will do so in the future. thanks

Old 02-04-2007, 02:22 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supermanpsd
I did not see any sct dealers in the sponsor section. I did go to their website and no prices so I searched on ebay and found one that a guy was selling his truck and did not need anymore and was very cheap compared to new. If my bid does not take, then I will search for someone on here to buy from and will do so in the future. thanks
Superman, I am right down I26 from you in Hendersonville. We carry a full line of SCT products; if you were to purchase a tuner from us I'll be more than happy to bring it by (I travel to Knoxville frequently on I-40) and tune the truck on the spot.

Would only be about 5-10 mins out of my way on any given Tuesday or Thursday.

Last edited by PSD 60L Fx4; 02-04-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Superman, I am right down I26 from you in Hendersonville. We carry a full line of SCT products; if you were to purchase a tuner from us I'll be more than happy to bring it by (I travel to Knoxville frequently on I-40) and tune the truck on the spot.
That right there is an offer that should not be refused, IMHO.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:19 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Superman, I am right down I26 from you in Hendersonville. We carry a full line of SCT products;
Do yall do custom tunes on the sct? If you do are yall allowed to email the files. Theres not a dealer close to me and i have'nt yet found a dealer that will email the files. Of course i would buy my tuner form yall.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:29 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by exiled
Do yall do custom tunes on the sct? If you do are yall allowed to email the files. Theres not a dealer close to me and i have'nt yet found a dealer that will email the files. Of course i would buy my tuner form yall.
Yes, we do full custom tuning, and yes, we do email files. As a matter of fact, we ship all of the tuners empty and email the files (barring if the customer were not to have a computer, which is rare). The reason for this is because we have to know the calibration number of the truck- we have found that due to the number of reflashes the code actually printed on the PCM itself is far from reliable, and code of the wrong type can really screw with the truck. The tuner is capable of reading the actual calibration code- you use the tuner to read it, either call it in or email it to us and you will have files the same day to the following day.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
you use the tuner to read it, either call it in or email it to us and you will have files the same day to the following day.
How do we decide why kind of tune i want. I dont own a drag truck mind you. I just want to free up alittle on the shifts and loss some of the turbo lag if i'm calling this right. To explain, i have to move the gas pedal a good bit to start spooling to catch up then its all of a sudden and the truck lauches and that more power than i wanted right then. Say coming up on a light it turns yellow i know theres no way i'm going to be stopped but yet i should be on the other side of the intersection before it turns red but anyway i mush on the go pedal and i'm going under the light before the turbo kicks in and then because it took so much pedal it creates to much. I know this might not make good sence i'm not good with words.
Can you quote a price?

Old 02-04-2007, 05:36 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Exiled, try out the 3 tunes that the tuner comes with, and go from there. Matt can add/subtract change/tweek just about anything to suit your particular needs. That would be the easiest way to determine which direction Matt needs to go with a custom tune.

On a side note, just to add to what Jeff said, anyone here might want to take advantage of LIPD........they are still small enough to care and be as active on the board as they are. Matt has spent a good deal of time with me (for free) helping me decide exactly what would be best to suit my needs. When it comes to simple things (filters, oil you know the no brainer stuff) get it as cheap as you can, when it comes to something like the life of your truck, cost should not be the limiting factor.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
mrxlh what is LIPD? I dont plan on a tuner untell i have my gauges installed and i get to know my truck alittle better. I dont make much but cost is'nt a factor to me. I rather pay more for better support than half price for a tuner that locked on a truck already in use or stealer that just pushs the flavor of the week then your on your own. I just might try the three but i understand that it only has 1 efficience tune and 1 towing and 1 performace tune. I rather have 1 effience and 2 towing. But i guess i'll just give them a try then work from there.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:04 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Look in Matt's (PSD 60L FX4) signature block LIPD Long Island Performance Diesel.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by exiled
How do we decide why kind of tune i want. I dont own a drag truck mind you. I just want to free up alittle on the shifts and loss some of the turbo lag if i'm calling this right. To explain, i have to move the gas pedal a good bit to start spooling to catch up then its all of a sudden and the truck lauches and that more power than i wanted right then. Say coming up on a light it turns yellow i know theres no way i'm going to be stopped but yet i should be on the other side of the intersection before it turns red but anyway i mush on the go pedal and i'm going under the light before the turbo kicks in and then because it took so much pedal it creates to much. I know this might not make good sence i'm not good with words.
Can you quote a price?
The tuning will help with the lag to a reasonable degree, but will not totally eliminate it. Part of it is allowing the truck to simply reach boost threshold; despite being EVRT the turbo is a pretty large one and will always take a second or two to fire off.

One of the moderators here (Maxium4x4) runs one of my prototype anti-lag files and it works great, but the EGT's get pretty hot VERY fast...just part of the nature of the beast.

As far as pricing, feel free to give myself or Jeremy a call at the numbers below.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 AM
EARLYTIMES
Junior User
If Matt with LIPD is willing to go to your house to tweek his system you CAN'T go wrong. I'm too would love to get one of those SCT tuners but I'm just plain scared the dealer will find out and void my warranty on a new 07. I don't have the funds to replace a 6.0 TSD! Remember, it is the same with houses, boats and diamonds; you get what you pay for in life!

Old 02-05-2007, 08:39 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

Would only be about 5-10 mins out of my way on any given Tuesday or Thursday.
As one that has the EXTREME BENEFIT of this service I URGE you to take advantage of it. There is NOTHING like a hand-tuned truck (unless you have an onhand inhouse dyno) especially from Matt. Every truck is different and responds to the same tune a little differently and an on the spot tuner can make those tweaks that can't possibly be done by email. Matt DEFINITELY has the ear and the experience to make your truck AWESOME.

Quick Reply: Used sct tuner?