Pre-turbo pyrometer installation? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-turbo pyrometer installation?

Old 02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Senior User

clydesride is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.clydesride is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pre-turbo pyrometer installation?

Hi guys, was reading about guages around here and wondered about the pre-turbo install.... how do you prevent chips of metal from getting into the manifold when you drill it for the pyro mount? I am planning to do the guage thing soon and was really wondering what was up?

Dave
Old 02-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Posting Guru

guzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to allguzzle92 is a name known to all
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Post Fiend

Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.
Start with small bits and work your war up to the right size, most of the shavings will end up in you face as gravity is helping you. When you are finished drilling tak a "magnet on a stick" and stick in the hole to get the bigger stuff. When you crank all of the little stuff will be blown out the exhaust before the turbo has a chance to spin up good and wont hurt anything.

Guzzle: quit changing your title.you are wearing my latin dictionary out...LOL
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior User

hdman6 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Smile

When I installed mine (4 weeks ago) I drilled the manifold from the bottom so the Thermocouple is upside down. So all the shaving kept falling out anyway. Wear safty glasses when you do this because the shaving are small. But I started with a 1/8 then went to 1/4 then used the "R" bit to finish the hole. Then when u tapp it turn the tapp a few turns in then back again to clean it out. I didnt et any shavings in my manifold this way. You can also use a vaccuum to suck out any remains if there are any. But shouldnt be hardly any. Jeff
Old 02-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Senior User

erik_bishop is starting off with a positive reputation.
I drilled mine from the top on the drivers side manifold, seemed to have the most room to manipulate my cordless drill, i used the engine running method. took a lot longer especially when running in the tap, the air blowing out of hole kept getting too hot, and i was cutting in the threads very very slow, afraid of breaking it.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Elder User

sean23johnson is starting off with a positive reputation.
i just moved my pyro to pre-turbo a couple weeks ago and it was nerveracking at first but is acually was very easy. i too started with a small bit and worked my way up. i also costed each drill with axle grases to grab as much shavings as possible, worked very well. i also started the truck after i tapped to let the shavings blow out and with the ammount of compression these engines have there was no way any shavings were going to stay in there. no worries, piece of cake, youll do fine.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior User

clydesride is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.clydesride is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ok, some times I amaze myself with dumbness.... never occurred to me to drill it from below! Or even to remove the bits with a magnet!!
Sometimes the learning curve can be so steep!
I will try it myself, more fun to work on it myself anyway and you know if it is done right or not.
I got a line on factory installed exhaust system so, might not tackle that one on me own.
Thanks again guys,
Dave
Old 02-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior User

lovemy150's is starting off with a positive reputation.
I drilled and tapped my pyro while the engine is running. Somebody called it the hoop method. Hope this helps. BTW apply the parking brake for safety if you use this method.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Elder User

theenforcer has a good reputation on FTE.theenforcer has a good reputation on FTE.
another way is to put some grease on the drill bit and the swarf will stick to it and not drop in the manifold
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Post Fiend

superduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud ofsuperduty4x4 has much to be proud of
I was told by a guy who has installed a whole of of pyros to just drill and fuhgeddaboutit. Start small, don't use any grease (let the chips fall out), install your pyro and enjoy.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 PM

Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
I was told by a guy who has installed a whole of of pyros to just drill and fuhgeddaboutit. Start small, don't use any grease (let the chips fall out), install your pyro and enjoy.
That's exactly what I did.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
I did the same thing. Drill and forget.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 PM

megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Just don't that when your running the tap in, For every 1\2 turn in back out 1/4 turn. This will help prevent the tap from binding and breaking.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior User

racincowboy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When drilling upside down like that here is a little trick I use to keep shavings from getting in my face. Take a paper cup like small dixie cup and drill through the bottom of it then slide it up near the chuck on your drill and start drilling your hole.

Then once everything is started and going well just slide your cup up the drill bit close to the hole you are drilling and it will catch most if not all the hot chips before they end up in your shirt or armpit.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Postmaster

CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
That's exactly what I did.
Drill, tap, install and drive.

Unless you live somewhere that they have turned off gravity to save money, 99.9% of the shavings will fall in your face. I have done close to 60 pyro installs over the years. Never had a single issue...