1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Things That Make You Feel Boneheaded

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:08 PM
grover
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Things That Make You Feel Boneheaded

Ever have one of those problems with your truck that makes you feel like a real dunce when you find the problem?

Grover developed a charging problem. I'd do okay as long as I didn't use any accessories, but when I'd use the wipers, heater or the lights, after I'd driven awhile the battery would drain and I'd have to push-start if I had to kill the truck for any reason (like buying gas).

I already knew the terminals on the battery cables were in pretty bad shape, so I bought new cables and installed them yesterday. However, I still wasn't satisfied, so I leaned against the fender for one of those deeply philosophical moments that come when you stare at the engine compartment.

That's when I noticed powdered rubber on the wheelwell next to the alternator pulley. That discovery impelled me to check the belt. I'll bet you'll never guess what I discovered.

It's amazing how much happier one can be after putting a 9/16 socket and a pry bar to use!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. I can relate. Like when I kept burning out flashers and tail light bulbs because I had crushed the tail light wire between the bracket and the bed when I installed it, creating a dead short.

DUH!

It's stuff like this that keeps us humble.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
Don,

Your tale brought a smile to my face. Many times I go round and rund in circles trying to figure out the problem only to have it turn out to be something simple and obvious.
Its easy to get sucked up into the "complicated" and forget the basics.

Thank you sir, its a good feeling to know I'm not alone
bobby

Old 02-01-2007, 04:20 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Yes. I can relate. Like when I kept burning out flashers and tail light bulbs because I had crushed the tail light wire between the bracket and the bed when I installed it, creating a dead short.

DUH!

It's stuff like this that keeps us humble.
Actually Homer Simpson says it best.

Doah!

(I think that's how its spelled.) Like when your over 40 memory strikes you stupid.

They say when scientists (actually engineers applying scientist's theories) encounter that moment of discovery they say, "Eureka, I've found it." Because its as if they were expecting it all along. Actually the most often said phrase is, "Hummm, that's funny?" Because they weren't expecting what they got and it looked funny and they end up going down a whole different path to success.

Phil

Old 02-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
I feel boneheaded every time I think of how long it took me to learn how to gap a set of points (back when the Earth was still cooling ) ...

I just kept trying to make it harder than it needed to be.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
What really bothers me is when you receive that enlightenment at 0-Dark:Thirty and you know if you don't fix it right then it will be gone.
And before you suggest just writing it down, I either forget that I did or I can't find the Blasted paper.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
Send yourself an email, Dick. I refuse to admit how many times I've done that.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:41 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
I am fortunate now in some ways. This disease I have causes memory loss. I have something to blame it on besides me.
Everyday is like a scavenger hunt, except I have no idea what I'm looking for I just know that I'll find something that I need.

Nuthin - I like that idea

Old 02-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I am fortunate now in some ways. This disease I have causes memory loss. I have something to blame it on besides me.
Everyday is like a scavenger hunt, except I have no idea what I'm looking for I just know that I'll find something that I need.

Nuthin - I like that idea
Any day now I`ll be able to hid my own Easter eggs....

Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
I felt rather "boneheaded" the time I was working under my truck in the garage, and tried to sit up, before I had managed to roll my creeper completely out from under the frame... I think I took a little "nap" on that one.. but its all a little fuzzy still..

Old 02-01-2007, 09:42 PM
joes52f6
Senior User
Don't feel bad guys I'm only 21 and I have what I call my own personal blonde moment, funny thing is I'm not blonde. Oh well !!!!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
I once spent several minutes looking for the screwdriver only to discover it in my left hand.

I was trying to track down a problem with a Pinto. I even pulled the cylinder head. It turned out to be a loose wire on the coil.

But here's a subtle one; I was having trouble tuning an S10. Seemed like a vacuum leak. I finally discovered that the brake booster was leaking. I found the same thing with my MGB a year later. Who ever thinks of a leaking booster?

Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 PM
wheily
Freshman User
i had my duh moment just yesterday did a full tune but truck would not run then as i get out the truck i see my roter go flying off the fender oops

Old 02-01-2007, 10:31 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I know it's not a Ford, but replacing the clutch in my 73 IH 3/4 ton, I was sitting down in the floor hole where the tranny hump goes, and trying to put the flywheel on(which must weigh 200 lbs.) it slipped. It fell and bounced back into my forehead. Needless to say a 200 lb flyweel to the forehead will knock you out. The boneheaded part is trying to do this solo in the first place, and secondly sticking yourself in a spot where you can't move out of the way. I can blame this moment to my memory loss, lol.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
When I first started tearing my Panel down I had it back into an ond 50's built car port. I was worling on the Drivers front wheel, I had removed the tire and was going to go for the King Pin.
I got all my tools in place, place my milk crate where I wanted to sit and mounted up. I say that because I had just enough room to step over the crate, place my back against the garage and slide down and in to the wheel well. I reminded me of a young stupid male gene moment years before when I actually did that same move while mounting a Bronc in a Chute.
Anyway after about 45 minutes of cleaning a preping the area I went to move my bod around to get ready to swing the hammer.
BINGO I went into a full-body Charlie Horse. I kinda launched forward and up into the wheelwell and added a slight bend a twist at the top when the legs weren't done with there thing.
All someone would have had to do was get me out of there and paint me a marble color and I would have been a super statue.
Nobody could get me out of there cause no one was home or at the neighbors. I was stuck there for over an hour beforeone of the neighbors came home and was able to help me get out.
It took two days before thing started working right again.
I even went out and bought a cop whistle for my tool box so I can get help. I took it out of the bag and set the damn thing
somewhere.

Quick Reply: Things That Make You Feel Boneheaded