1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Things That Make You Feel Boneheaded

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick, don't use a whistle to signal for help, all the neighbors will just think it's some pita kid. Get one of those "I've fallen, and can't get up" buttons for around your neck. Also, don't use galvanized nails for attaching notes to your forehead, the zinc is bad for you. Whenever I do something dumb, with a crashing noise chaser, my family listens before responding. Loud swearing and yelling, like the dad on "A Christmas Story" means I'm ok, just pissed, stay away. No sound means HELP! Ax, sounds like you're lucky your crotch broke your fall. I was working in my garage attic on a hot summer day. Stood up too quickly, raked my back on the protruding nails (not galvanized), then walked inside all hot and sweaty and asked my wife to check out the nail marks on my back. Had some 'splaining to do.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
You go to some lengths to keep that poor gal on her toes, don't ya, Rusty?

LOL!

Old 02-03-2007, 08:47 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Been reading through previous posts, almost sprayed coffee on the monitor a few times, guess it's my turn to fess up now.
On the "pinball anyone?", I was under a dump truck, between the rear tandems, trying to remove the pinon yoke when the end came off of the air hose I was using. I don't know how many bumps were from the hose whipping around and how many were from my head contacting the frame tryin to miss it.
The worst one I can think of was just last year. While walking across a log trailer, my foot slipped. In the process of falling, I caught my fat **** with my left hand. 250lbs at free fall will do major damage to tendons when the arm is fully extended. I had a 3 month unpaid vacation and a major medical bill to pay(guess that's one reason the truck has sat unfinished for so long)

Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Bikewrench
Senior User
Reminds me of another aws**t. As you can see by my avatar and name, I've been into bikes in the past (as well as anything else with wheels). My bike building has been choppers and dragbikes. My partner and I started with his 900 Honda on nitrous. I wrenched, he rode. It covered the first 60 feet in about 1.2 seconds. One day his wife offered to help out by cleaning it up before we left for a race. She knew he liked it to look good and she didn't want to disappoint us so she went the extra distance and even Armouralled the seat. Imagine the reaction when he launched the bike that night!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:28 AM
frigerator
Elder User
bonehead moment

Truck hasn't been getting up to op temp so I decided to check the thermostat. After pulling it out and boiling the water test eveything was good. I put everything back together and added coolant. Got it topped off and noticed a slow steady stream comming from the underside of the thermostat housing. Took it back apart to realize I never put sealant around the port for the heater hose . Glad it wasn't a new car, two bolts and back in business

Old 02-04-2007, 04:09 AM
272VeeAte
Junior User
Originally Posted by pcmenten
I was trying to track down a problem with a Pinto. I even pulled the cylinder head. It turned out to be a loose wire on the coil.
I did the SAME EXACT THING on my Mustang. I pulled the head, reset the timing about 20 times pulling the dizzy, changed everything, rebuilt the carb 4 times, and then as I went to check voltage to the coil, I realized that the wire to the solenoid was hanging on by 1 strand. =D It took me 4 months! My carbs rebuilt, my timing's dead on, and everything's perfect now, though.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:17 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikewrench
Reminds me of another aws**t. As you can see by my avatar and name, I've been into bikes in the past (as well as anything else with wheels). My bike building has been choppers and dragbikes. My partner and I started with his 900 Honda on nitrous. I wrenched, he rode. It covered the first 60 feet in about 1.2 seconds. One day his wife offered to help out by cleaning it up before we left for a race. She knew he liked it to look good and she didn't want to disappoint us so she went the extra distance and even Armouralled the seat. Imagine the reaction when he launched the bike that night!
I discovered Armourall all by myself after cleaning my Triumph. It looked darn good------ then it turned real uuuuguuliy.
Down the driveway - brakes, riding on gas tank - knee jerk reaction - gas - riding on tail light - knee jerk - brakes - handlebars - neighbors car - flashing red lights - bright white lights - pretty redhaired nurse - ouch.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:18 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Here's another that involved me: 3 way trade...my 78 bronco w/rebuilt 400 4sp man. and lots of rust for $600. My buddy's dad had an f250 hiboy w/300 and 8ft stepside bed, totally restored, couldn't sell it cuz of the 300. He bought a 79 bro. and was gonna swap the 400 ci in, but then he sold the truck($5000), and he didn't want the bronco. It was a ranger xlt w/400(smoked a little) and rebuilt c6, but after the rebuild it didn't shift. He knew a guy looking for a good 400. My bud's dad said he knew I had one. So, he got my bronco for $600, I give my bud's dad $500(300 for bro. 200 for finder's fee) he walks away with his money back and then some. I get a better bronco that doesn't shift and $100, and his friend gets his 400, plus more for him to part out. After all that, I thought, ok, now what: Ahh, the c6....hmmm, plugged a vacuum line to the modul. and it shifted fine. I drive it daily, and it now has a 300 in it....Ironic, ain't it? I feel for the original owner who thought the rebuild didn't work.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:53 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 381 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
Here's another that involved me: 3 way trade...my 78 bronco w/rebuilt 400 4sp man. and lots of rust for $600. My buddy's dad had an f250 hiboy w/300 and 8ft stepside bed, totally restored, couldn't sell it cuz of the 300. He bought a 79 bro. and was gonna swap the 400 ci in, but then he sold the truck($5000), and he didn't want the bronco. It was a ranger xlt w/400(smoked a little) and rebuilt c6, but after the rebuild it didn't shift. He knew a guy looking for a good 400. My bud's dad said he knew I had one. So, he got my bronco for $600, I give my bud's dad $500(300 for bro. 200 for finder's fee) he walks away with his money back and then some. I get a better bronco that doesn't shift and $100, and his friend gets his 400, plus more for him to part out. After all that, I thought, ok, now what: Ahh, the c6....hmmm, plugged a vacuum line to the modul. and it shifted fine. I drive it daily, and it now has a 300 in it....Ironic, ain't it? I feel for the original owner who thought the rebuild didn't work.
I'm going to have to diagram that sequence out, my head is spinning!!

Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 PM
grover
Senior User
Wink

Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Been reading through previous posts, almost sprayed coffee on the monitor a few times, guess it's my turn to fess up now.
On the "pinball anyone?", I was under a dump truck, between the rear tandems, trying to remove the pinon yoke when the end came off of the air hose I was using. I don't know how many bumps were from the hose whipping around and how many were from my head contacting the frame tryin to miss it.
The worst one I can think of was just last year. While walking across a log trailer, my foot slipped. In the process of falling, I caught my fat **** with my left hand. 250lbs at free fall will do major damage to tendons when the arm is fully extended. I had a 3 month unpaid vacation and a major medical bill to pay(guess that's one reason the truck has sat unfinished for so long)
Back in the late '70s I was a delivery boy for a print shop in Oklahoma City. We were unloading paper one rainy afternoon, big boxes of 24" x 36" enamel, I believe (if any of you are familiar with paper, you know what I mean!), which weigh about 100 pounds per box. Rain was coming in the tailgate, making the metal floor of the van wet. Just as I picked up a box of that paper one of my feet went out from under me. As I fell, I let go of the right edge of the box, putting all of the weight of that box on my left arm. I swear I felt my arm stretch six inches!

I ended up having to take off work for a few days because my arm hurt too much to use. Fortunately, I didn't suffer any permanent damage, although since the accident I can scratch my left ankle without bending over.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:26 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,924 Likes on 1,872 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I discovered Armourall all by myself after cleaning my Triumph. It looked darn good------ then it turned real uuuuguuliy.
Down the driveway - brakes, riding on gas tank - knee jerk reaction - gas - riding on tail light - knee jerk - brakes - handlebars - neighbors car - flashing red lights - bright white lights - pretty redhaired nurse - ouch.
Wow Dick,

You've got a long history of ping-ponging around don't ya? I guess its all, or nothing with you isn't it?

(I've done the motorcycle knee jerk full throttle locked brakes back nad forth manuever....sure made the neighbors laugh)

Bobby

Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Wow Dick,

You've got a long history of ping-ponging around don't ya? I guess its all, or nothing with you isn't it?

(I've done the motorcycle knee jerk full throttle locked brakes back nad forth manuever....sure made the neighbors laugh)

Bobby
Bobby

I seem to have a way with things.

Near the beginning of this thread I talked about my poor memory. Well today I got to thinking about that, each time I read one of these darn posts it's like having a Flashback. Wooosh there I am.

I'm gonna ask you all real nice to keep these stories related strickly to cars and trucks, I've already started remembering other subjects and seem to have bumps and bruses appearing from thrying to surpress those memories.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
I was going through my online gallery, and actually found a picture of one of my more boneheaded.. or possibly more creative moments (still not sure on that yet).. Its how I brought home the new axle (Dana 60) for my F-3 project from Ohio to Michigan.. in the back of a Ford Festiva. Not something I would recommend, but hey it worked and made a decent armrest.

The fun part was getting it in.. and out of the car by myself..

Old 02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
272VeeAte
Junior User
Originally Posted by irondragon79
The fun part was getting it in.. and out of the car by myself..
Should've used a hoist!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
papabills54
Senior User
Ok, here's mine. I wasn't getting anything on my amp gague after I installed the new single wire altenator on my 54. after spending two hours and several beers on the subject I called it a night and decided to go have the nator checked the next day. I go into the house ate dinner pulled out the trusty old toothpick and the light came on. Did I check to pull the pin out of the brush holder? nope. talk about bone head, thats my middle name. billy bone head.

Quick Reply: Things That Make You Feel Boneheaded