Only Partway Done!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Flywest
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only Partway Done!

Arrrghh doncha just hate that!

I've had a crack at installing my 2nd & 3rd gauges (already have trans temp - now working on boost and pyro!)..

Man it's taken like days!

First, I didn't get the T fitting for the Map line in the kit (local supplier) so I drove all over two different towns getting this n that here n there to piece together a simple brass "t" fitting. Lets just say 20 bucks later, 50 bucks worth a diesel and a couple man days ($300) worth of time later...and I have me a T section!

While I was at it I had no clamp to hold the pyro probe into the exhaust pipe either so managed to find a clamp that would do the job!

I got no pod that will work - being a Starboard helmed land yacht....so I picked up a cheap plastic dash moulding for $5 at the auto spares place!

So - now I've cut the Map tube - installed the brass "T" section, and run the lil tube inside the cab!

As well I've drilled the exhaust pipe and installed the pyro probe and clamp to hold her, and run the wires likewise inside the cab!

So...all the engine bay and underneath work is done, now it's just the inside cab wiring and connecting to finnish off, right?

Wrong!

The dang temporary pod I bought (I have one on order from the US to go under the caddy hole in the dash, but that could take weeks to months to get here)....has holes in it too damned big for the gauges to fit in it!

So I got wires and tubes everywhere inside the truck - can't drive it and a half azzed gauges install thats not finnished!

Gonna have to try and find a smaller temporary pod, to finnish off now or mod the one thats holes are too large somehow!!

I hate this crap! I remember why I gave up working on my own cars and paid others to do it for me, many years ago - the aggravation factor!

About the only "positive" - is my lad seems to enjoy it, and is planning to do the same sorta mods to his own truck, having had the chance to practice (and stuff up) on mine first!

You know if it weren't for that - I think i'd just go back to paying others to do it for me! Then again - getting good help these days ain't easey!
I just needed a good rant is all!

Todays another day huh - lets see what can possibly go wrong today!

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:21 PM
badblueoval4life
Senior User
what brand kit was this so i can steer clear

Old 01-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Flywest
Senior User
My Local Supplier

My local supplier put together a kit for me of VDO gauges (Temp Boost & Pyro), but he knows nothing bout F trucks, doesn't even have the internet for me to show him what is needed!

Thats why the T piece for the Map line wasn't included, he just gave me a staright connection expecting I'd tap the turbo housing somewhere for the pressure!

Same with the exhaust clamp - he thought I'd drill & tap the manifold so no clamp!

I ended up printing the photo's of what i needed and why and even then he couldn't get the T piece or clamp etc....once he'd sold the (<$700) for the 3 gauges he didn't care about whether I could get em installed or not for the lack of a few simple parts!

I spent another 2 hours in his shop while some teenage kid with no clue searched catalogue after catalogue etc for a similar type part, to finally just give up!

This is pretty typical of service downunder - remember we have no gratuity system - it wasn't like this kid was gonna get a tip if he found me the part in a hurry.....so crap service is expected and recieved here!

I don't consider it a fault bye VDO brand as much as a "just don't care attitude" by the retailer!

You know this is a town of 25000 and the attitudes the same everywhere....teenage kids serving customers for "absentee" owners who don't care about service!

I eventually got the "T" piece by driving to a small nearbye country town of 500 people with a rural services hardware, that sells everything and survives on service! Guy tore his shop up - dragged out boxs from everywhere to find the brass bits to make me what I needed for a $20 tee piece!

I'll go back there again, because the guy wants the business, while these larger supermarket type chain stores parts places, just couldn't care - your just a number!

I hate what wally world is turning my world into!

Give me back the good ol days!

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Flywest didn't you mention that you are a woodworker at one time?
Do you have a hole saw that you could use to cut two holes in a board, then varnish and mount? I'll bet you could make something pretty attractive.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Flywest
Senior User
20 years wood butchering!

yes I have a hole saw, but honestly thats all Dan,

In a fit of pique, I sold my timber business (sawmill, kiln and factory / showroom) on a walk in walk out basis leaving every wood related tool I ever owned, and all my machines etc etc....for the new owner!

Honestly I haven't got so much as a piece a wood laying round and if I never touch wood again as long as I live, it will be too soon! I retired from wood working after 20 years with all 10 fingers in tact (albeit a few close calls and broken bones and distorted fingers / thumbs) but why spoil a perfect record now for a 10 dollar pod?

Truthfully, I was pretty good at what I did!

I just wasn't FAST enough in todays throwaway society day and age to make a decent living at it!

I still made furniture with mortice and tenons all hand fitted etc...and lets face it - no one wants to pay for what hand made quality costs these days!

Going back to wood working for me Dan would be admitting defeat!

I got to the point of being very ill from the amounts of saw dust I breathed in over those years, I'm still seeing doctors for it now and having xrays of the lungs and all sorts a greebly growths in my lungs that you don't wanna know about - I'd just as soon buy a metal mounting pod and be done with it!

Wood working for me brings back a lot of sad memories of past happier times!

I try hard to keep looking forward - not back!

Cheers!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Well, this isn't very diesel related, but that's some fine work there!
I wish I had the time to do that. Both my late grandfather and now my father build some nice stuff like that and I have a few things like that in my home that Dad built.
Maybe some day when I have more time I'll get to do that sort of thing, but not right now. Not enough energy left over when I get home from work.

So what do you want to do about your guage pods? Duct tape them to the console for now?

Old 01-31-2007, 05:37 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Flywest didn't you mention that you are a woodworker at one time?
Do you have a hole saw that you could use to cut two holes in a board, then varnish and mount? I'll bet you could make something pretty attractive.
i like this idea!!! ill buy one of them pod's from ya fly

Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Heck with the pod what will ya charge for the kitchen?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice stuff Mr. Fly white guy. Being a cabinet man myself, Kwikk beat me to it. Drill the 2-1/16" or whatever that converts to in metric 52 mm or something like that into even a piece of plexiglass and polish the edges, build a little box behind it with some nice blue led backlights. Hell, you could probably make something cooler than you could buy. And chicks dig backlighting.

P.S. Brrrrr!! Our high tomorrow is 14F converted to metric is Friggin cold. Heading to warmer temps in 7 days. wish I could afford to head to your heat wave