6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Here's your sign......

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 PM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's your sign......

ok this morning, a local customer brought his truck to us for a oil leak and we were talking about his truck. we put a couple of injectors in it for a no power, skipping when cold last week and he states it is still doing it. i told informed him why the injectors were sticking and why the temp being low makes it worse. then he looks at me and grins. he finnaly tells me he is running a oil additve "treatment". needless to say we changed his oil before he left and i dont expect to see him back with a cold start issue for a while.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Yeah, Yippee . . . .

Aren't you having a GREAT DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:53 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
sign

Gotta luv them . Wonder how many trucks would have gotten fixed the first time if the owners were honest...................

Heres your sign .

Old 01-30-2007, 03:59 PM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Well it goes with that old addage....."If your gonna play, you gotta be willing to pay" Like most diesel owners I'm aware of the cost of repairs and I will be more than honest with the service department if something on my truck breaks or doesn't work due to something I did.
But I'm sure there's lot's of Tech's and service advisors out there that have had that customer tell them "yea It's doing such and such and I don't know why", but you know they know "why"

Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting! And what was causing the oil leak?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
LMAO--your day sounds like my day BTH. Oil additives and 100k bypassed oil changes...holy smoke... and people say fords ain't tough??? PLEASE!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
BowTieHatr, why the sigh? Is it because he used the treatment or cause he did'nt mention it? Only reason i ask is because untell last friday i did'nt know that the oiltreatment could stop the truck from running or mess with the performace. I just luckly ask a buddy of mine if he ever uses oiltreatment in his. He's brother is a diesel mechanic{sadly he doesnt work for ford} and he had told him that the treatment was hurting the 6.0's but most times changing the oil and filters fixed it.
i know the owner manuakls says you should'nt have to use oil treatment but it also says you should'nt need to use fuel treatment other than for an anti-gel.
I hope this does'nt sound harsh, cause i dont mean it that way at all, i was suprised that a treatment could cause such mahem.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

It's what the treatments do to the injector spool valves. Most oil treatments that have additives that "stop oil burning" do so by plugging up the tiny wear marks in the cylinder walls and round the rings. We used to call it varnish in the 60's. I'm not sure what you would call it now--probably gunk . At any rate--it causes the spool valves in the injectors to stick which causes misfires and is exactly what the latest flash is supposed to prevent. I may be totally off base here, but that's my thinking on it. Good oil and regular changes make these oil treatments (which are bandaids at best anyway) unnecessary. If you have a motor problem that large you should probably have it overhauled anyway.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
tim, we are thinking on the same page.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
I'm sorta on the same page guys. I just to know why the sign. I can see the sign on keeping the fact from the service tech that you used the treatment. But then again i could see if you did'nt know the treatment would hurt it that the person would'nt think to tell the service department they used it unless someone asked. I use lucas in my gas burners and i really dont think about about it much. Its so common place for me. I know 2 7.3 owners that uses lucas and a few brand x's and they dont have issues. I think a sign is alittle harsh on someone just because they used oiltreatment unless its a repeated thing.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:54 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
its was meant to be a joke exiled, relax.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exiled
I use lucas in my gas burners and i really dont think about about it much. Its so common place for me. I know 2 7.3 owners that uses lucas and a few brand x's and they dont have issues.
None of these have the very low tolerance, spool-fired injectors of the 6.0.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 PM
WWMike
New User
One thing people don't understand. The reflash from international is meant to flow oil through the injector after shut off to take heat away during the natural "heat soak" that takes place after shut off. This heat soak causes the oil to oxidize in the injectors especially if the oil hasn't been changed on time. An oil flush product added to the old oil followed by an oil change and the reflash will repair the cold start problem.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:16 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by WWMike
One thing people don't understand. The reflash from international is meant to flow oil through the injector after shut off to take heat away during the natural "heat soak" that takes place after shut off. This heat soak causes the oil to oxidize in the injectors especially if the oil hasn't been changed on time. An oil flush product added to the old oil followed by an oil change and the reflash will repair the cold start problem.
There isn't any way to flow oil to the injectors with the motor shutoff. Oil to the injectors is supplied by the high pressure oil pump which is gear driven from the cam/crank. The reflash is meant to empty oil from the injectors, not flush oil through them. I'd be interested to know what source of information provided your theory. Can you supply any written documentation to prove it?

Old 02-02-2007, 05:32 AM
WWMike
New User
This info was from an International engineer. He told me that the engine was equiped with an accumulator to store and balance the oil pressure from the high pressure pump. This after run cycle doesn't empty the injector, it just keeps the traped oil in the injector from oxidizing due to heat soak. It doesn't make sense that the oil could be drained, yet the vehicle would restart. If the injector was emptied of oil it would be full of air and we all know what air in the high pressure system does. He was very frustrated because the Ford Motor Company people could not grasp this.