Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

'98 Explorer, Problem with lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 PM
DrewFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 Explorer, Problem with lights

My 1998 Ford Explorer has got a wierd problem with the turn signals and light panels.

The turn signals and hazard lights stopped working about a week ago, then the turn signals started working again, but the hazards still aren't.

The panel for the fan, temperature control and the direction of air flow usually has lights behind it, but they don't come on anymore.

Any and all hints would be greatly appreciated!

DF

Old 01-28-2007, 05:35 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start by checking fuses and relays.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Might be a flaky multifunction switch.

It's very simple to test.

Might be different on a 98, but on a 97 all you do is connect an ohm meter beween terminal 385 & 511 & see if you can make and break the circuit with the hazard switch.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
DrewFord
New User
gotcha - there is a bit of an update, today the hazards started working (intermittently) but the windows will now not work - dummy estimation, methinks there is a short somewhere....further thoughts?

Old 01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
kevin74656
Senior User
Originally Posted by DrewFord
gotcha - there is a bit of an update, today the hazards started working (intermittently) but the windows will now not work - dummy estimation, methinks there is a short somewhere....further thoughts?
The turn signals and hazard lights use the same flasher. I'd suggest that you make sure the flasher connector is on tightly, and that the connector terminals and cavities are gunk-free. It's under the dash, near the steering column. If the connector's OK, you might need a new flasher. It's a $30 part at the Ford dealer, but Schuck's has them for $21.

Regarding the windows, do any of them work? Is the master switch (on the driver's door handle/armrest) in the "on" position? If the windows work using the switches on the driver's door but none of the other switches work, the master switch is probably off. Otherwise, it looks like the windows are a separate problem.

Your heater/AC light bulbs could be burned out, unless all the dash lights are out. Then it's most likely the fuse.

Out of curiosity, was this vehicle ever flooded? Or did you recently drive it through a really big puddle? It's atypical for so many electrical problems on different circuits to happen at the same time. The only commonality between all three systems that I can see is the power distribution box. I'd check it for corrosion, crud, mice, etc. Otherwise, I guess that it's just coincidental that all these problems have appeared simultaneously.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 AM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Yeah all the dash bulbs are spliced to the dimmer switch, so replace the bulb and that problem goes away.

Good point from Kevin, about a week ago there was a guy with one rear bulb not working & the simple and surprising fix was to simply reseat the connector at the flasher.

Give that a shot & you might get lucky.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:41 AM
DrewFord
New User
the windows work intermittently, they'll work in the morning when I start it up but in the evening or afternoon they won't for some reason.
As far as I know, it wasn't ever flooded - I've had it since '00 and this all came up in the last couple of weeks.