Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need Help On Air Bag Warning Light!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help On Air Bag Warning Light!

I previously posted in Super Duty, but got no replies! I know this isn't an engine issue (unless need to R&R the chip results in stalling again), but I need help, and I know the 7.3 L group does more tinkering and might know.

After start-up, light flashes and then stays on. Can dealer trouble shoot without running diagnostics? I'm a full-time RVer with chip taped firmly in place due to previous connector problems and don't want to remove it for diagnostics because having engine die while towing is much more dangerous than no air bag! In fact, I'm 65 yrs old, with a bad back, and sit closer to the wheel than the recommended 10 in, so I'd just as soon have bag disconnected so it doesn't blow up in my face! Can I do this myself? Thanks for any help.

New info: I also tried (for first time since buying truck new) to turn off passenger side, but switch won't stay in off position. When touching off, that warning light comes on, but then goes off again as switch spring returns to on. Checked with wife and she doesn't mind having her side turned off also, so I'd like to just deactivate the entire SRS. With my luck, this would require a re-flash, and then I couldn't use chip. This wouldn't be an acceptable solution! My biggest concern is to make sure that the bags don't someday deploy when I'm least expecting it.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Being a 99 it is past any warranty so yes the dealer can scan and repair the air bag system without doing anything to the chip. When the light is on the system is deactivated and the chance of deployment is slim at best.
The dealer or anyone else can not disable the system by law. In some states with inspection laws it is not legal to pass a vehicle that has the air bag light on. If this is not an issue in your state and you don't want the air bags to operate then leave it as is.
If you want to have it repaired then yes a dealer or other qualified repair shop can do this without effecting your chip. You can try have someone read the codes and post them on here. With the codes I may be able to help more.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The flashing is a light code. Count the flashes there should be 2 number sequences repeated 4 times. ie, Two flashes pause seven flashes pause Two flashes pause seven flashes, ect. = Code 27.
Let us know what you find

Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
I never cought that in the post.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:38 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
I've been told by many Ford dealers over the years, that they can't do an accurate diagnostics scan with my chip installed. Maybe this is true only for engine issues? I don't mind going to dealer and spending $, but last time I had to R&R chip for diagnostics engine quit while towing. It's an adventure trying to control 21.5 K lb with no power steering or brakes. Chip has worked fine for over 3 yrs since then, and I don't want to tempt fate by having to remove it again unless absolutely necessary!

After start, light goes on and off a few times with no particular pattern, and then stays on steady for rest of trip. My original documentation includes a guide for air bag deactivation (F85J--19A285-CA) which states that if driver sits closer to the wheel than 10 in, or for other medical conditions, bag can (and should be) deactivated, but doesn't say how to do it. I don't know if problem with switch for passenger side is related because I had never tried to turn it off until after problem with driver side.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 AM
lancer
Elder User
My wifes car does that sometimes in real damp conditions. I have it down to a bit of corosion on the plugs. Maybe you have a dirty contact somewhere.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:34 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Update On Air Bag Warning Light

It finally stopped raining here in Rio Grande Valley TX, and lancer seems to be correct about damp conditions and corrosion, because after running errands today, the light went out after last start-up and stayed off for rest of drive.

The start-up prior to that, light flashed a code as suggested by amiller93. I guess it was code 24, it was definitely a 2/4 repeating pattern, but by the time I realized there was a pattern this time I don't know if it started with a 2 or a 4 first. If anyone knows of a code 24 or 42 please post its meaning.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:27 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Notes

Normal Operation
The air bag Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS) module monitors the backup power supply, accelerometer operation and memory. If the ECS detects a failure in any of these components, it will store a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1342 in memory and flash a Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 24 on the air bag indicator.

Possible Causes
An ECS module internal fault could be caused by:

the internal accelerometer not operating properly.
the backup power supply not operating properly.
an internal module circuit fault detected.
a microcontroller RAM/ROM/EEPROM failure.
Pinpoint Test Steps:

Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Mech is dead on on the 24 light code (RCM Failure) nothing listed for a 42. Is the light still coming on for the key on self test? If the light has failed you will start noticing a beeping sound at key on.

If it is not flashing a code but is coiming on at key on like normal I would say a wet connector also. The RCM will not fix itself if it were a true 24 light code.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:50 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Thanks for all the help so far..., I have some additional info and questions.

During the last drive cycle, at key-on, air bag light came on steady, then went off at about the same time the wait to start did, after engine start-up, air bag light came back on for about 1 second and then went off (can't remember if this is normal?), then stayed off for the rest of the short trip back to the RV park. This seemed like normal operation, but with all the problems for days, I can't remember for sure.

During all the rainy days I was having problems, at key-on prior to start-up, the light always came on once and then off as described above. After start-up, the light seemed to act a little different from one drive cycle to the next. I would just sit at idle watching it come on and off a few times with no discernable pattern, but by about 20 seconds, it was always on steady, and remained that way for the rest of the drive.

Only on the one drive cycle prior to the seemingly normal last one, did I see the 2/4 flashing sequence after start-up, then light remained on for the rest of that drive. I was prepared with a note pad to record everything, but the next time I started was the last, and everything seemed normal!

I've previously noted that after problem developed, I tried to turn off the passenger air bag switch (for the first time ever), and couldn't get it to remain in the off position. I'm curious to know if that problem went away as well, but for now all lights are off and everything seems normal, so I guess I'll leave well enough alone.

My questions are... If I have an air bag code stored in PCM, can it be retrieved without pulling my chip? What is an "RCM" failure?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Is there a fuse that you can remove to disable the air bag system?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:07 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
The code is for ECS Electronic Crash Sensor. The code can be read and cleared without pulling the chip. The code stored will be B1342. The light cycle you described is normal.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:48 PM
bill99psd
Freshman User
My air bag light has been flashing for about 6 months now I get a 2/7 code. Is that the switch on the passanger side or the sensor under the seat? Just guessing?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Yep, I got one in the box waiting to go in this weekend. Generally it is just the light in the switch that goes out if you are handy with electronics you can just swap the led.

it was about 58 bucks after shipping from here http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...01&catalogid=2

Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 AM
bandlgeorge
Elder User
Code 46?

While we are on the airbag topic, my 2002 7.3 4x4 cc is displaying the airbag "idiot light" Doing research here, the flash pattern is 4 and then 6, making this a code 46? Also, the light stays on when driving, every time so far. Unlike ernesteugene, we have not had any damp weather recently, extremely dry february weather in sw washington. Recenlty installed the 6637 kwik mod, but light had started before the mod. Any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Quick Reply: Need Help On Air Bag Warning Light!