1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Can a bad Exhaust Back Pressure sensor cause no boost and there fore no power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe I haven't checked the build date. When it dies I'll go see brian, until then I wont worry about it.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ron, check your eliminator with the AE software. I had the eliminator, but it had failed and was giving false readings to the PCM. Not good for power. I ended up getting a new sensor and hooking it back up. I got my sensor on eBay, new, for $25 thanks to the keen eye of Mr. Alan Miller. Thanks again for that find Alan.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Ron, check your eliminator with the AE software. I had the eliminator, but it had failed and was giving false readings to the PCM. Not good for power. I ended up getting a new sensor and hooking it back up. I got my sensor on eBay, new, for $25 thanks to the keen eye of Mr. Alan Miller. Thanks again for that find Alan.

thanks for the heads up..ill add that to my list of things to doooo..whats a good reading on that??

Old 01-23-2007, 09:45 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I knew my eliminator was failed because the reading would be the same whether it was plugged in or no sensor was plugged in, I think it was around 46 psi. It didn't change. My bad sensor though was reading 52+ psi. If I understand the eliminator correctly, it should probably not read anything over 10-20 psi. Think about it like this, if the stock turbo can hit maybe as high as 20 or so psi in a completely stock truck, and the backpressure to boost ratio is 2:1, a stock sensor should only see 40 psi. The eliminator is designed to provide a low reading, and when it did work I would get a soft code that exhaust backpressure was low (which is when compared to boost). So, I'm thinking the 10-20 psi would be where it sits if it's working.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:34 AM
elitestroker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking about putting the exhause brake on mine. Did the EBPV work good for you?

Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
alan i have a Eliminator in place of my EBPS..my EBPV is a exhaust brake now and it does not get used on the cold start package..unless i turn it on my self...whats your thoughts on that good or bad??? thanks

Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
yes it works very well..i have the SP diesel set up with the tc/lock and it works great..the sevice i got from them sucket though..im not sure how it rates with a real exhaust brake..ive asked but no responce on that question..but im very happy with what i got now..m/t driving i hardly ever use my service brakes..i just put all new brakes all the way around except 1 cailiper...cost me over $350 to do them..i can see with the exhaust brake the savings on the sevice brakes.the exhaust brake will pay for its self...

this is what i have..it uses the cc buttons
http://www.spdiesel.com/

Last edited by ron's power stoke; 02-11-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
TRICOMEDIC19
Junior User
Hey Guys... I took my truck into the local Diesel guy to see why it was running like a turd and had the romp romp.. well, he couldnt find ANYTHING wrong with it but it did throw a code for Exhaust back pressure being out of range... He said dont worry about it and it didnt matter but after reading these posts, I think he's full of it????
Any thoughts?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
tholt34
Senior User
My Edge evo will read back pressure in its data stream mode, what should be a good reading of backpressure?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:32 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
With a stock turbo, it will typically read about twice what your boost pressure is. You can test to see if it's calibrated properly by taking a reading before you start the truck, with the key on. It should be +/- 2 psi of your local atmospheric pressure, which you can find online at weather.com. You should then see it go up when you start the truck and move in proportion to boost.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:44 PM
DB Stroken
New User
Well gents i am still confused on EBPV and where to disconect it ? Is it on the front of the motor behind the pulleys or in the back at the turbo base? All i do know is the loud hissing, jet like engine sound that tends to rob ALL Boost presure even when cruising at slow speeds for 20 miles or more is anoying and MPG is down and i want it to go away.Can someone HELP ?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DB Stroken
Well gents i am still confused on EBPV and where to disconect it ? Is it on the front of the motor behind the pulleys or in the back at the turbo base? All i do know is the loud hissing, jet like engine sound that tends to rob ALL Boost presure even when cruising at slow speeds for 20 miles or more is anoying and MPG is down and i want it to go away.Can someone HELP ?
The connector for the EBPV (Exhaust Back Pressure Valve) actuator is at the bottom and front of the turbo pedestal.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 AM
tinkyray71
New User
i have an 06 350 thgat has a flutter sound at idle and while running.. the vehicle runs flawless and has no misses.. compression test at ford shows no loss of compression at all... sounds like i'm getting exhaust into the intake. does the 06 have the ebp sensor and could this be my problem

Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 AM
JMP E350
Senior User
OK -
Its My understanding that the Exhaust Back Pressure SENSOR.. is located in front of the high pressure oil pump behind and below the front pully belt... its a b*$ch to get to, and see even.

However, the EBPV Exhaust Back Pressure Valve... is located on the turbo.
Exhause side of the turbo and is the plunger that moves the gate open or closed and helps build heat in the motor or boost in the turbo (I think).
Hence why it stays closed in cold morning starts.

I think the way it works is by putting more heat into the exhaust it will put more heat in your turbo to warm up the oil... Not sure of its purpose really.

Mine is currently the same as yours... actuator doesn't move ...
i can put my foot to the floor and it takes off from a red like like a turtle ..

Tried cleaning mine... but its so rusted on there I cant get the tube off..
Unplugged it which seemed to do Nothing...

Im about to pull the turbo off and rip out the exhaust back pressure valve..for more exhaust flow.. cause I dont think it does anything but cause problems for me to fix!
although I doubt this will fix my problem !

Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tinkyray71
i have an 06 350 thgat has a flutter sound at idle and while running.. the vehicle runs flawless and has no misses.. compression test at ford shows no loss of compression at all... sounds like i'm getting exhaust into the intake. does the 06 have the ebp sensor and could this be my problem
Wrong forum.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 AM
TugzDzl
New User
What if you dont have a exaust valve??... It shouldn't affect it right?

Quick Reply: Can a bad Exhaust Back Pressure sensor cause no boost and there fore no power?