1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit and how it affects towing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM
TheFist
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, hope this is in the right forum. Didn't see anything in the forum list for this type of thing.

I've got an '05 6.0 PS and was thinking of doing the leveling kit on it. I know that when done the front actually sits a little higher than level in most cases. I'm wondering if anybody has done this that tows on a regular basis and how it affected their towing ability if at all.

I had a Chevy HD awhile back and did the torsion bar level and that thing became a nightmare to tow with. For that matter, even wet pavement made it damn scary to drive. Felt like the front end was hardly touching the ground and was hydroplaning. Add some weight to the rear and...scary.

I know I'm comparing two completely different animals here with the IFS Torsion and a solid axle but it still sort of seems the same: lift the front, add weight, front end comes up even higher, hard to drive.

Opinions and facts and personal experience, let me have it. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
f-350 turbo
Mountain Pass
I have a F-350 crew cab shortbed and installed a Revtek 2.5 lift kit ($230.) I tow a lot of toy haulers that weight 6000lbs to 15000lbs tag and fifth wheel and did not notice any change in the handling. The ride seems better due to he new shocks in the front

Old 01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Almost correct forum....moved to SD...Enjoy~

Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM
four4x4fords
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on upgrading to a Ford.
I have a leveling kit on the front of 01 (leaf spring) F-350 and I don't have any problems towing my Toyhauler
My tongue weight is about 750# when empty and it sets the rear end down about a inch. I only have 600# bars on my equalizing hitch, which may be part of the problem. I'm looking at a new 1000# Equalizer brand hitch which might level the truck out.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Als03FX4
Junior User
I was sort of wondering the same thing...From what I found out it seems like this one type for the newer super duty. It has a spacer that raises the front end. Some kits seem to imply that with the FX4 package you do not need the 2" longer shocks? Not sure if this is true or not. Also, some kits are roughly $80 while others are $230ish So I guess cost would be another thing to consider. My one buddy has a 2001 F-350 with the leaf springs and he put a leveling kit on. He uses the truck as a daily driver and for towing. So far he likes it and it doesn't seem to squat down with a plow on. Hope this helps!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:57 AM
TheFist
Tuned
Thanks for the responses.

The difference in prices is due to what you get. Some kits have the coil spring spacer and others come with a completely new set of coil springs and shocks. I'd probably go this route as it seems it would be more durable. Although, if I found one that would just level and not raise the front end past level I'd do that. I use the truck in mud
and heavily rutted roads on a regular basis so its got to be able to withstand that.

If you're truck came stock with the rancho shocks I don't think you'd really need the kits with new shocks, the rancho's ought to be able to handle the 2 inches.

I'd really like to get alot of opinions, I was told by the place that did my Chevy torsion job it wouldn't affect towing at all and that wasn't the case.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:18 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,479 Likes on 962 Posts
why not just leave it the way it is? it will tow the best at stock height....

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 AM
RGT
Senior User
No difference noticed on my set-up.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 PM
TheFist
Tuned
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
why not just leave it the way it is? it will tow the best at stock height....
A couple of reasons.
#1 I like the way they look level.

#2 It would be nice with my tires. Thanks to the strike with Goodyear, I've waited 4 months to get a set of 18" tires for my truck and couldn't get them. Soooo, I settled for the closest I could get which was a ridiculously expensive set of BFG AT's in 305/65/18 which are about 1-1/4 inches taller than the stock Conti-craps. Now, the tires fit perfectly, with no rubbing whatsoever, but would look even better with a leveling kit. Which brings us right back to reason #1.
Thats called personal preference.

For the record I talked to a few different shops about this and the most popular answer was "uhmm, noooo, uhmm, it shouldn't make a difference." However the dude from Desert Rat Offroad told me. "leveling kits on a 250 throw the front higher than the rear, on the 350 its level, and yeah, it''ll give the feel that you're wheels aren't on the ground."

Did I mention how expensive the BFG's were?! What are you gonna do? Go with a cheap set of stock replacements that have absolutely ZERO traction on anything other than dry asphalt or bend over and take what you can get on something that has at least some marginal off road ability? I went with the BFG's.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
i hated towing with my leveled 2002 f250 7.3 ext cab short bed....it had 35 bfg muds

it sat level unloaded. with a load the rear would squar down and it looked terrible, the headlights were off with it level...and with a load people think you have your brights on....with the rear pointing down due to a load there is alot more weight on the rear tires than if the truck was stock....

all in all i hate towing with a leveled truck...thats why i put the f350 blocks in my new 250....when it has a load on it its level or above level

i am function over form....i see no reson to lift a truck and throw the center of gravity off if the larger tires can be fit without the lift....heck on my old truck i went as far as to cut the fenders out to keep the center of gravity down and fit the 44's

im rambling

point is....how much do you really tow...if you tow somewhat heavy daily then you will hate the leveling kit, if its once in a blue moon you wont really care

Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 PM
f-350 turbo
Mountain Pass
I tow more than 70% of the time and it really did not make a noticeable difference. Its only 2.5". My F350 still sits nose low after the lift, when towing a toy hauler its looks pretty close to level. I think the truck still works great and looks even better lifted. Just my opinion, everyone has one

Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had a leaf sprung F350 5.4 and the Pro comp levelling kit made it sit level. With the 6.0 I htink you will still be nose down cause of the weight of the block. If you tow a lot, and Equalizer brand hitch set up right should keep you level or very close, especially with the right bars. I use 1000 lb on a 7500 lb trailer and I can get my nose right back down to stock. It really pulls and tracks well. The other thing you could think about is Firestone Air bags in the back. A small compressor and inside switches would be sweet!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 PM
TheFist
Tuned
These are all good responses and I really appreciate them. I was planning on getting the level, then leaning towards not. Then, two of my dogs got in a fight and one is at the vet right now, that kinda answers it for me. I've got a feeling the vet bill is going to be about twice what the leveling kit would cost. Add that to the $1600.00 I just dumped on my tires and I think I'm gonna be tapped out this month.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:04 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
hope your dogs are ok!!! i know how vet bills can be.....

Old 01-11-2007, 03:12 AM
GZCROOM
Freshman User
I DON'T HAVE THE FRONT LEVELERS, JUST USE 1000# BARS, HAUL MY GOLF CART IN THE BED AND A 8500# TT BEHIND , AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY DUALLY.
GARY

Last edited by GZCROOM; 01-11-2007 at 03:14 AM. Reason: MIS SPELL

Quick Reply: Leveling kit and how it affects towing.