1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Anybody got a spare fuel filter bowl cap / I feel like an idiot!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Mindstream
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody got a spare fuel filter bowl cap / I feel like an idiot!

So I go to change my fuel filter, and I have the Motorcraft replacement filter in hand. I get the old one out, but the darn filter element just won't come out of the cap. I pry and pry and nothing. I look at the instructions again, and it say simply "lift the cap off the element". That sounds like it should be easy??

Ok, so this mst just be stuck, so I wedge the cap between my feet, jam a hammer through the side of the element, and pry like hell, then, crack it comes off, and leaves a jagged looking piece of plastic down in the bottom of the cap. Ok great I think.. I just broke my fuel filter cap. Then I look a little closer at the cap, and I don't see how in the world this filter element would ever work on that filter cap.. wierd says I. Of course, the next step is to go to FTE, where I find reference to hanging on to your orginal filter cap if you get a filter WITH A BUILT IN CAP ON IT. Eureka!

This is my first filter change since I bought her, and owner 1 must have been using a filter that already had the cap attached (and he didn't read FTE so the original cap is gone), and I just busted the filter element off of something that it was never supposed to seperate from! Ok no big deal, I'll drive to town and get one with the filter attached... except now I have a Motorcraft filter stinking of diesel and such, that I probably can't return... which leads me to my question:

Anybody out there got a spare original filter cap for a '99 7.3 they might want to part with? I saw one on ebay but it was $40!

Thanks,

Darren

PS This is the greatest site ever in the history of working on Fords! Thanks all!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In a pinch, I've found that Pep Boys carries a filter/cap combo that works well and doesn't leak. You can pick one up and use that for the time being if you need your truck soon.

What you DO NOT want to do is pick up a replacement cap from Napa. Those things are horrible.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
filtergaurd from oh-rye-lees changed their style of filter. Now the cap is not built on. It comes with one, but you have a choice to use it now. I picked one up last week for $18.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Basically just like the others have said, there are three different fiter cap combos avail for our trucks.

1. one piece cap, o-ring, with intergrated filter.

2. filter element with a seperate cap and o-ring

3. single element filter only

Don't feel like an idiot, you did not know what was on the truck prior to changing it, and you can't tell by looking from the outside.

morale to the story is, now you know so write down wich one youv'e got and it won't be a P.I.A next time.

you should be able to take the element back to the parts house and check another parts house for the filter, cap combo.

Good luck

Old 01-08-2007, 03:00 PM
doc526
Senior User
Is it necessary to change the cap with the filter ? What is the purpose of the new cap if you dont need to?

I bought the filter with the cap (not attached) and wound up using the stock cap with the new o-rings. The stock cap looked stronger and more durable than the aftermarket cap... No leaks so far.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Mindstream
Freshman User
No I could go with cap attached filters, but I have this filter cartridge from Motorcraft that cost $44 and I can return (I know.. stupid price!), so I figured if I can find a stock filter cap, it keeps my options open and I can use this filter next time! Guess if I want one I'll have to watch ebay. Thanks.