N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Ford guys get thier wish, and Dan may be on to the right path

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford guys get thier wish, and Dan may be on to the right path

Looks like I have a good chance at selling my '59-other brand this weekend, guy is coming in from way up north on Saturday, and will be looking it over Sunday moring...hate to see it go, but it's one I'll never give the attention too...so see, you guys are converting my stable to be a majority of Fords...lthough they'll have to bury me in my '57-other brand...it looks like for the first time in my life, Fords ill dominate my stable.

So, why the mention of Dan? Well, he's told me at least twice to IFS my '36...and after trying to wedge the 5.0 in it, I really dont have another option...I can't get the engine to go in where I want, without some serious surgery on the front wishbone (in order to keep the stock style front end), so instead of spending a few days re-engineering the front end in rder to set the engine in, and make it accessible to be able to remove the tranny pan (gotta change the fluid once in awhile), I'll be doing the MII setup after all...with the money I get from my '59.

The wife doesn't care how much I save from the sale of the truck, or how much I dump into the '36...she's just happy something is leaving the yard.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:26 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My problem of late seems to be that for every vehicle that leaves, two more take its place. And sometimes they don't leave my possesion, just my residence. I really gotta thin the herd...but it's so hard, they're like my children, or old friends. How can you sell of your friends or children?

Case in point: I have this '84 Nissan 200SX Turbo that I bought almost new and drove for years. Now it smokes so badly I can't drive it so it's been sitting for several years, needing the engine rebuilt. Me 'n that car, we been through a lot together and been a lot of places together over the years, but situations change and I feel that it's time for it to go...but I just can't seem to get myself to put that ad on craigslist. I keep thinking I'll go ahead and rebuild the engine and start driving it again, and a car that fast that still gives 35 mpg ain't nothing to sneeze at. But now I've got this old Mercedes to fix up, and this Range Rover as well as all my other projects, and space is at an all-time premium...what to do, what to do...

And Mike, I'm glad you've finally seen the wisdom of my advice and come to accept the inevitable in regards to the MII IFS swap. I'd be glad to put my money where my mouth is (or is it my mouth where my money is...which one would be cheaper?) and give you a hand with it. I happened to see a MII Cobra in the wrecking yard the other day, it would have the heaviest duty front end and be set up for the V8 already, I can check on the price of the X-member for you. MIIs with a V8 also had an additional support member in the front end but I don't think this is anything that you'd particularly need or that would even work for your application...for that matter, I'm not even sure why I brought it up...!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:22 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yoou brought it up because you are babling in your glory

I really wanted to run the dropped axle setup, but it's just not to be without getting too involved...aall aid and done I would have more time making this engine go where I wanted it with the straght axle, than I would with a Mii setup.

I was going to use the IFS from the cougar, but it's about 6inches too wide...but I'll pull the front end (are rear suspension) off it before it goes, I took a good look at it, and it's not a McPherson style...it has upper and lower control arms...so all it needs is a shorter coil-over shock and the appropriate shock mount, and it'd be good to go into something...

I'll probably just build my own crossmember and buy new components to mount on it, I have a friend who says he can mandrel bend Chr Moly tubing up to .120, so I probably will go with a tubing front for looks.

Thanks though, you're still welcome to come down and supervise the job!

Old 01-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Nighteyez wishes he had a yard to start a herd in...:-(
Of course if he did, he would already have a herd of toys/projects/junk in it.

Last edited by Nighteyez; 01-07-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2007, 08:57 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
It creeps up on you slowly, next thing you know you've moved that <insert part/car/etc> 16 times because it's in your way...then you have great idea, and kill a weekend "arranging" things out back...and realize now it just looks like a wrecking yard...aw well.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well, the '59 didin't sell, the guy must thought I was some hillbilly hurting for money I guess...he came down with 2grand less than my asking price. I'd have saved the poor guy the dirve had I known he going to try for it so cheap...gotta admit thogh, takes ***** to make an offer like that in person, and not over email.

I put it on CL and see what shakes.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, some peeps like to haggle. Others don't. I guess he figured he could talk you down.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I did come down...way down, but we sat and stared at each other over a few hundred bucks. What the heck, it's fun to drive still.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Just saw a commercial for the DVD set of "Get Smart" and noticed that Don Adams is driving Dan's car. I sure hope Dan doesn't find out...

Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well I'll be darn if the guy didn't get home and send me an email wanting to send me a deposit to hold the truck for him until next month.

Heck, I told him if he would have asked I'd have let him take the truck and he could have sent me the $200 later and saved him another 7 hour drive.

I knew he wanted it

Old 01-09-2007, 08:19 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
So now he's willing to pay your price? Cool! Sometimes things just have a way of working themselves out...!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yes/no...not my asking price...but what I came down to before we stalemated.

Funny though...I've spent the last few hours going through the HAMB site (never been there before) and have now decided on NOT going with the IFS on the '36...I' think I have a way around it now.

Was lookng at all the threads they had about splitting the wishbone, and I didn't like the idea of having to heat and bend my spring mounts (part of the radius arms on the bones) so i think I'll just shorten the radius arms, and make a new crossmember to locate them too.

So naw/naw/naw...you don't get your way...

Truth is though, had the guy dropped the dollars on me this past weekend, i'd be rdering parts for the IFS...I spent all Saturday night researching pros/cons of using factory M2 stuff, and aftermarket stuff, and who had what and how nuch, etc, etc...

I had all my vender lists printed out, part numbers to order..I mean right down to the castle nuts (have a lot of cotter pins-).

But now that it will be another month before I get the dough from the truck, I'm going to have to work with what I have. I think that Cougar front end may find it's way under my '57-Other though, it measures up quite well with the track width...I'd have to narrow it about 4 to 6 inches for the '36, then get into some other things that would take more time than I've got (looking for a shorter rack, or modding the cirrent one, etc...)

I can have the RA's modded and a crossmemeber built in a day and have the engine/tranny placed and set following that. All goes according to plan, I may still save myself from cutting my firewall.

I tell ya, had I went wih a SBC and a Muncie, I'd be near done by now.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Sacrilege! Don't even talk like that or we'll have to drum you out of the club and take away your secret decoder ring! A Ford is well worth any extra hassle to keep all Ford. Any goober can build a rod using brand "C" motovation, but it takes a real man to buck the trend and stay True Blue. I'm proud of you for going this far with it, don't dissappoint me now...!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Lol...ya know what's funny...I never though i'd get tired of a SBC...but after the hours and hours of searching through a zillion posts on the HAMB and streetrodders site...seems EVERYTHING has a SBC in it.

I guess i too am tired of seeing "'32 Ford, 350/350..33 Plymouth,350/350", etc, etc...

My Ford WILL run the 5.0/AOD...even if I have to convert it to a rear engine truck in the process

Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Oh, and gimme back my secret decoder ring.