sterio options for '97

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 PM
sigtauenus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sterio options for '97

I have an RV built on a 97 E-350 chassis. The radio can barely be heard at 65 mph with the volume all the way up and the passenger side speaker is totally shot.

After reading around here it looks like the Ford head unit isn't that great, and the speakers need changed anyhow, so I'm thinking its time for a new aftermarket head unit, speakers, and amp depending on head unit purchased.

I went to crutchfield and looked around, and all of their head units that supposedly fit are too small. The head unit I have is about 1.5 to 2 times as tall as the standard head unit sold aftermarket.

Is there an aftermarket head unit that fills the entire space for the stock 97 sterio, or if not, what is used as a filler for that space?

Any recommendations?

We usually listen to books on tape when travelling, so I'm not looking for a killer sound system, I just want to be able to hear the story. I'd prefer a head unit that has cd and cassette, or just cd would work.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For your first option, if you want to stay with the stock look you may be able to just add an amp and replace your speakers to suit your needs.

Your second option would be to replace the head unit with and aftermarket one. Most aftermarket stereos are a standard size that the manufacturers have agreed to. It is referred to as DIN, or single DIN. There should be a few different installation kits available for your vehicle that will come with a trim ring that goes around the radio to take up the extra space that is no longer used. Sometimes the kit will have a small pocket in this unused area that can be used to store CD's or other small objects. This will probably be the cheapest and easiest solution if you go to an aftermarket stereo. I do not know of any single DIN aftermarket radios that offer both CD and cassette.

Your third option would be to modify your vehicle to fit a double DIN radio. These radios are twice as tall as a single DIN radio, and will probably be slightly taller than your factory stereo. You may be able to trim your dash in order to fit the radio and try to come up with a way to install it. With a double DIN unit there are a couple of companies who offer both CD and cassette player. There are a few of us here that have modified our dashes to fit a double DIN unit that may be able to give you more help if you decide to go this route.

Your local Circuit City, Best Buy, or equivalent store should be able to show you the items you would need to purchase for the first two options.