Need help with speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 10:16 AM
wickdgt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with speakers...

I would like to know if the head unit that is on my truck amplified, is a 03 F250 SD SC, AM/FM, CD, Cassette unit. I can't put a subwoofer like I had on my old truck cause the bench is to low and not enough space to put anything under there. I'm considering replacing the 5x7 factory speakers on all 4 doors, what would you recomend and if the head unit is amplified will it sound good with the aftermaket speakers, thanks for any info:

Edgar

Old 10-11-2003, 04:08 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Your headunit in not really amplified, it just has enough juice to run the stock speakers, so if you only replace the speakers, it won't sound better (probably sound worse, because aftermarket speakers need more watts). If you want it to sound better without spending alot, just get a small amp (100 -150 watts should be enough) and hook it up using an RCA inline converter (not sure what their really called) using your stock speakers. The stock speakers actually sound pretty good if you just give em more power. That's one way to go, if you want to keep your stock headunit. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:58 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
I replaced the factory 6x8s with aftermarket in mine. Sounded worse! And I had the 6-disc changer unit. So I had to get an aftermarket head unit to match, and now it sounds like a concert in my truck! But don't expect deep bass...you'll still need a sub to dip down into the low frequencies.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:34 AM
HandOfGod
Senior User
I would have to strongly suggest a new head unit. My '87 rangers head unit couldn't even push the poor factory speakers, i bought a new Premier deck, and the deck alone made the stereo sound 250% better. Todays factory speakers in fords aren't too shabby in my mind, I think you would like it better by getting a new head unit, and possibly sparing your factory speakers, if you are budget concious

Old 10-12-2003, 07:44 AM
wickdgt
Junior User
Thanks guys, I was not looking foward to change speakers, but the unit I think I'm going to replace, for a truck this expensive shure the audio system sucks. I still can not find a subwoofer that can fit under the bench of this truck, the bench is to low, but anyway thanks again:

Edgar

Old 10-12-2003, 03:43 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
If you want subs, go to your local car audio shop and look for an underseat box. There are several kinds, I have one for 2 - 10" There is a lift kit for the rear bench, if you want more room under there. There's also one the uses a sub in the center console. Adding subs can be done!

Old 10-12-2003, 11:20 PM
tkd
Elder User
Here might be some insight.

1. The line level adapter that is used to connect a factory head unit to an aftermarket amp is often times called a "pac" adapter. One note is that you will lose a lot in the transer.

2. WXboy--What might have happened was that you chose power hungry speakers and the factory unit just couldn't survive.

3. Definitly find a good custom shop and have them make you a box. Keep in mind that an enclosure doesn't need to be any special shape as long as the interval volume is correct. You can get subs that need as little as .3cu which is nothing.

4. Finally, I agree, a sub can be added to almost anything if you want it bad enough. When I lived in San Antonio, I saw a Honda Del Sol with 4 10" subs IN THE CAR not the trunk and It was killer. Probably more than most of us are looking for, but the point is it can be done with patience, time and oh yeah $$$$$$$