Burning out Glow Plugs 6.9

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Dogs-in-the-back
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning out Glow Plugs 6.9

Hi,

I burned out a new set of beru's. The controller is not connected, I'm using a pushbutton. While working on a fuel problem I was doing a lot of cranking, but only using the plugs 10 to 15 sec at a time. I dont know if this burned out the plugs, or if it occured the last time the engine was running.

The plugs looked undamaged when I pulled them.

I'm not familiar with this motor or how the controller would normally cycle the plugs vs temp. (This truck is a junker I rescued)

How long should I heat the plugs on a cold motor?

How long do I need to wait before a second attempt?

How far advanced does the IP timing need to be before this will eat up the plugs. (I know its been messed with)

thanks,
Jason

Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dogs-in-the-back
Hi,

I burned out a new set of beru's. The controller is not connected, I'm using a pushbutton. While working on a fuel problem I was doing a lot of cranking, but only using the plugs 10 to 15 sec at a time. I dont know if this burned out the plugs, or if it occured the last time the engine was running.

The plugs looked undamaged when I pulled them.

I'm not familiar with this motor or how the controller would normally cycle the plugs vs temp. (This truck is a junker I rescued)

How long should I heat the plugs on a cold motor?

How long do I need to wait before a second attempt?

How far advanced does the IP timing need to be before this will eat up the plugs. (I know its been messed with)

thanks,
Jason
Where'd you buy them? I bought a set off a guy on eBay and, best I can figure, they burned out the first time I put voltage to them. Truck never did start with those GPs - not even once - and they were still being controlled by the controller. Got a replacement set from Autozone and they worked perfectly first try and have been working just fine for going on three months now....

Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Dogs-in-the-back
New User
These were from one of the big online stores and were in the sealed motorcraft bags. I tested them before installing and they were ok. I'm pretty sure burning out was a result of me on the button too long or the IP timing.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:11 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dogs-in-the-back
These were from one of the big online stores and were in the sealed motorcraft bags. I tested them before installing and they were ok. I'm pretty sure burning out was a result of me on the button too long or the IP timing.
The ones I bought off eBay were new in sealed bags too. I never tested them before putting them in though.

Incorrect IP timing wouldn't cause them to burn out - but powering them too long with a manual pushbutton will.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
10 seconds is what I heat mine for.

They cool off almost as fast as they heat up in a cold engine.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:34 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
...They cool off almost as fast as they heat up in a cold engine.
Well heck yeah! They may get white-hot, but they're still just 8 little pieces of steel - each about the size of a 10-penny nail - attached to an 800 pound steel heat sink