Sponsored by:

Oil leaking into valley

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:42 PM
LeeroyDiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leaking into valley

I've done some searching on the forum to find out specifics on this problem and i think i've narrowed it down but i'm looking for advice on this topic. I have oil leaking into the valley and in turn runs down the back of the block and is dripping onto the pavement. Probably 1 drip on the concrete every time I park for any length of time. I'm not loosing a lot of oil, i've got 3500 miles on the truck since the last oil change and it is still measuring at the same level so the oil is not being lost at a significant rate but anyway here is the question.
From what I have read it sounds like the seals on the turbo are bad. What I have seen on my engine is the air tube going to the passenger side of the truck for intercooler has always dripped ever since i've had the truck (about a drip a week but is almost always wet). Recently though, i've found oil in the valley on top of the block and the Y junction into the turbo has black soot on it. The driver side valve cover is wet and I can see that side of the engine is wet with oil. The passenger side is dry. So does this sound like the turbo seals are bad or could it be something else. If it is the turbo, how hard is it to take that out and change the seals? i.e. how long will it take? Also, is this something that needs to be done now or could it wait 5 months. I'm deploying and I need to know if I need to take the truck in to get this fixed if it is going to be over my head to fix it or if it can wait until i get back when I have more time to fix. This truck is my daily driver and the wife will be carting child around for the next 5 months, don't want to leave her with a timebomb. If you need any other amplifying data let me know, like i said i'm on a timeline and want to get this fixed ASAP if it is a time critical repair.
Thanks for the help.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:58 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife just pull her turbo this weekend... Installed a Wicked Wheel and new O rings on the turbo ped. Took her 6 hours to do it! She is going to built it up to a 13 sec 1/4 mile rig!!!

Sounds like you have leaky O rings... They will not hurt anything, you can fix them or leave it for now.

You also have leaking up pipes. You can replace just the "dougnuts" or both them and the up pipes. Not that bad but the turbo has to come out and its hard to do both from under and above the rig. This too can be left for awhile, MPG might go down a bit because you are loosing Drive pressure = Lower boost... Ford will hit you for about $900 to fix it... Parts are about $30-$150...

The Oil on the IC pipes is from the CCV (crank case vent) they route it to the Intake tract, which causes the Boots to leak oil. Stock this doesnt hurt anything persay, but as you mod and raise boost pressures, this oil can cause the boots to blow off.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:40 PM
LeeroyDiesel
Senior User
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any advise to help diagnose this. What exactly would be a sure clue that it is turbo oil leaking and not something else. The turbo itself looks dry but the the main junction of air tubes to the turbo is wet underneath. The turbo has to come out to change the dougnuts? or is that for the seals. I'm assuming the seals but just clarify.\
thanks

Last edited by LeeroyDiesel; 01-02-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-03-2007, 01:04 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For both the turbo needs to come out. Its not that bad of a job... Look at the turbo Pedastil, see if there is oil running down it. I will bet 90% its the turbo.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
LeeroyDiesel
Senior User
Turbo pedastil, you mean where the turbo mounts or where all the air tubes come together?