Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Exhaust/Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Bowstring
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust/Horsepower

Looking at replacing my stock exhaust system with a 4" from the turbo back how much will it increase the HP and noise level and what other benifits would it have or is a waste of money if I'm going to keep everything stock.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts
Just adding the big exhaust won't give you any more power - you have to inject more fuel to do that and that is accomplished with a chip or a tuner.
What it will do is to free up that rather restrictive exhaust that Ford put on there and go a long way to lowering your EGT.
You'll never notice any difference unless you have a pyrometer.
Well,.......... It will sound a lot better.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts
And then beware the PMS bug.
But I fear that you are already infected with it because you are considering the big exhaust.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:59 AM
lionsteve
Senior User
I don't mean to hijack this thread but which of the 4" exhaust should we be looking at? I don't want to spend the bank for a stainless one. Should I get one with a muffler of not? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Old 12-30-2006, 11:08 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Muffler is up to you. Some dont like the blab that you get with a straight pipe. Most 4" preformance mufflers are a straight thru design so there is very little restriction in them. Just get a Aluminized system if you live where they dont salt the roads in the winter.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:04 PM
GREGROB
Senior User
An aftermarket feels a tad stronger to me because it allows the turbo to spool up faster, but not any more peak HP really.

I will add that since I have deleted my EBPV 90% of the "flutter" is gone. Actually quietened my exhaust down some too.
I have stock system with straight pipe, and a 5" tipe angled out the back similar to a stock D-max. The sound is nice and mellow.
I think I'm gonna go with a 3.5" dp and call it good unless I really have a problem with egt's. the SS they put on from the factory is good stuff, and costs a pretty penny to replace it.