Sponsored by: DP Tuner

turbo bark?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 AM
crack
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo bark?

ok...so my dodge buddy claims he gets this "turbo bark" when hes hard on the throtle and lets off...and it does make a gross noise....so we were trying it in my truck, and sure enough it makes a similar sound....and aparently one guy broke his shaft dealio...anyone heard of this?

Old 12-22-2006, 12:12 PM
bill99psd
Freshman User
I have the same noise with my turbo so I replaced the turbo and the new one still does it when you are in it hard. When I first put the turbo in brand new from Ford I put a banks compressor wheel in, that stopped it. It really spools up fast with the banks wheel but you get a lot of whistle noise. I ran the truck with bankswheel and no noise but lost 2 mpg. Still trying to determine why I lost 2 miles to the gallon so I put the old original wheel back on the new turbo and MPG is back but now I have the noise from the new turbo again. I think it has something to do with the performance chip. The noise is the most noticeable when the truck is under a load.

1999 F250 Superduty Powerstroke 7.3L mods:T/S 6 pos chip, Banks wheel, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Volant Cold Air intake

Old 12-22-2006, 12:32 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new compressor wheel flows less air, and that means less power. Turbo runs at lower boost.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The "Darth Vader Breathing" noise when going to a higher gear is excess boost bleeding off through the intake. The "Whata,Whata,Whata," or "Chuffa,Chuffa,Chuffa," (as Kris explains it) sound is turbo Surge/Stall and can be damaging to the turbo.

The banks wheel is really nothing more than the wicked wheel for a higher price it spools faster but overall produces about 2psi less boost on the top end.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
bill99psd
Freshman User
Yea I noticed less power at low end, then hits a point an takes off. Are these wheels bad for the engine? When I run the truck in th 140hp pos I keep it under 1500 rpms I get 18 mpg or better, is this position hurting the engine?

1999.5 F250 Superduty Powerstroke 7.3L mods:T/S 6 pos chip, Banks wheel, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Volant Cold Air intake

Old 12-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It shouln't as long as EGT's are managable. The turbo surge/stall is hard on the trubo but you will know it when you get it and can back out of it a litle. The ATS Ported housing is the cure for Surge/Stall the wheel only moves the point at which it occures.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:08 PM
2danglong
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bill99psd-

you interchange the turbo from stock to banks and blame the chip for the difference ???

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2006, 05:15 PM
bill99psd
Freshman User
Not blaming the chip for the surge the surge is more noticeable with the chip because of the more power. I only changed the compressor wheel as said earlier to banks.

1999.5 F250 Superduty Powerstroke 7.3L mods:T/S 6 pos chip, Banks wheel, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Volant Cold Air intake

Old 12-22-2006, 05:43 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sound when you let out of the throttle that can be considered "turbo fart" among the 6.0 guys, (or "SSSSSSSSHHHHHEEEEEEEWWWWWWW" among me and my goonie friends "Powerstroke Buddies") is normal and i believe it won't hurt anything. It's just like surge on the compressor side, but since you let out of the pedal, there is significantly less engine RPM, which means there is alot less exhaust flow wanting to keep the wheel spinning. Therefor the wheel easily slows down against the compressor backpressure, and makes the noise as it "burps" the air back out of the intake. Mine doesnt get quite that bad, but i do get a loud (see loud sound above) when i let out of mine. I have only had the chut chut chut sound once, and that was at Fall Brawl, i was warming up the engine to get in line at the dyno, (and if any of you have been there you know the really sharp turn at the turnoff on rt 15, there are several black marks there) and i came around that sliding, and i let off and got the chut chut chut sound as the turbo burped out the excess air. I thought it was pretty cool. My 6.0 does it all the time, and when i drive it to school i speed up and let off just to hear it, hell it's under warranty....

Old 12-23-2006, 09:23 AM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
It won't hurt it, all turbo's do it. You don't hear it with a stock exhaust system and stock filter housing. The only way to keep that from happeneing is to install a blow off valve - which as we all know is for a manual transmission vehicle - and Honda's.

As long as you maintain your oil, take care to warm the turbo down, and have good filtration you will not harm anything. You would need to be running massive ammounts of boosts with out the supporting parts to run massive ammounts of boost to hurt things.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:30 AM
bill99psd
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. Am I better off using the banks wheel or the stock wheel? Does the banks wheel have any impact on fuel mpg?

Old 12-23-2006, 02:26 PM
crack
Elder User
on the dodge forums they say its from the compressor wheel tryin to slow down to fast or something, and it snapped his shaft.....I know the PPSSHHHHEEW noise your talkin about between shifts, but since I installed my ATS it doesnt do that...

Old 12-25-2006, 11:20 PM
GREGROB
Senior User
The noise you hear when you let off, or after shifts is turbo stall, or getting close to it.
When you are under hard accel and let off, the turbo has created a vacum in the intake, when you let off the compressor wheel slows WAY down and that air hits a brick wall. The sound is it rushing back around the compressor wheel, and back through the intake.
Harmless, every turbo is going to do it to some extent.

Turbo surge, is repeated barking/chirping noise, most noticeable on a 7.3 btw 1600-2000 rpms.
This condition IS rather harmful and will kill the thrust bearings in the turbo in short order.

A banks 1.0 exhaust housing and a wicked wheel cured it for me.

You could also go to a ported compressor housing, or a different turbo altogether.

....and for the comment that the new compressor wheel flows less air, and runs less boost, therefore makes less power is totally false.

1) A lower number on the boost gauge does NOT mean that less air is being moved.
Many times if you add an intercooler, larger turbo, etc boost will drop, but power can go up because more air is being moved more efficiently. When a turbo runs out of its map, it begins to just heat the air up. That causes the air to spread out and may show a higher reading on the gauge, but the actual *volume* of air being pushed into the engine is less.

2) the wheel did NOT cause my truck to lose on ounce of boost anyway.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GREGROB
....and for the comment that the new compressor wheel flows less air, and runs less boost, therefore makes less power is totally false.

1) A lower number on the boost gauge does NOT mean that less air is being moved.
Many times if you add an intercooler, larger turbo, etc boost will drop, but power can go up because more air is being moved more efficiently. When a turbo runs out of its map, it begins to just heat the air up. That causes the air to spread out and may show a higher reading on the gauge, but the actual *volume* of air being pushed into the engine is less.

2) the wheel did NOT cause my truck to lose on ounce of boost anyway.
I will not say you are wrong, I will say I disagree with you when comparing a wicked wheel to a later model one. There is a definate loss of low end IMO based on simple physics when the only difference is the wheel itself in the stock housing. Of course the WW will go a long ways toward reducing surge issues up top. I do not believe it will produce any more power up top though.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:09 AM
bill99psd
Freshman User
Great information everyone! Does the WW wheel have any impact on the MPG? When I put the new turbo on with the wheel I got about 2 MPG less could be because of winter fuel also?

Quick Reply: turbo bark?