Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Frame Rust?

Old 12-28-2006, 03:23 PM
kkester
Junior User
kkester is starting off with a positive reputation.
Frame Rust?

I have a 2004 Ranger Edge purchased in January 2005 (built March 2004) with about 13,000 miles. Would it be unusual for it to have obvious frame rust in spots without off-road driving or severe winters?

Kent Kester

Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.wendell borror has a great reputation on FTE.
Sure, frames are just painted, any rocks are whatever that knocks the paint off will cause rust spots. The frame is pretty thick metal, so it would take a lot to rust through. Just get a wire brush and hit it with some black paint in those spots. There's also a product called por-15, it's black with a rust inhibitor thats great for frames, you can even apply it right over rust, it's good stuff. I have an 04 4x4 and I have no frame rust yet, I don't drive it in the winter, cause I get laid off. I'm going to spray my frame this summer, just to keep it up and I like the glossey black look.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
Surface rust on a frame is nothing. As Wendell said, you can just brush it off and paint the frame, or you can POR-15 it.

Even with no painting or sealing, it's not going to rust through anytime soon, even in the salt belt. The body will go long before the frame will.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.