1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How many panel owners are there

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
The way I describe driving a panel truck to people is to say it's like driving with a 5 gallon bucket on your head with a slot cut in the front. I made some vintage looking 5"X7" mirrors with 2" convex mirrors stuck in the corners so I hopefully can see what's in my blind spots.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM
telefunkken
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotta ''57'' panel , c-6, windsor bought a set of 4'' peeps from whitney they look cool but you gotta have one eye shut to use'em

Old 05-02-2009, 06:25 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Originally Posted by kmule
To All with suggestions on the windows
I appreciate the advice. We have just had some good rain and two of the windows leak a bit. I could talk with my Glass man and see if he has some good rubber seals. Just can't figure if I like the windows or not. I restore old 40s warbirds and have done a lot of english wheel in aluminum. I certainly am paying attention to the forum members. This is a really great place to learn about this machine. I feel lucky to have found the forum
Another suggestion depending on the finnish colour you plan on painting your panel would be to have the side windows tinted or silk screened like they do to the side of the big coach line buses. From the outside you would hardly know the windows were there but you would have all that great visibility from the inside. That's the approach I'd take. I think it would be better than risking the chance of a lot of warpage and creating much more work for yourself, just a thought.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:05 PM
kmule
Freshman User
56panelford,
I think that might be the ticket. I just have to talk to the guy who does glass work for me on some cars that I am restoring for a couple of different guys. (not ford truck people)

Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 AM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have ole Lazeras. a '59 panel. He's in moth ***** for now, while I work on the 48 F1 but if I keep him, he will be terrorizing the streets one day.
Mike

Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
56panelford,
I think that might be the ticket. I just have to talk to the guy who does glass work for me on some cars that I am restoring for a couple of different guys. (not ford truck people)
I hope it works out for you, they have moldings now that look much better than the old rubber ones and believe the silk screening could go over them as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
To All with suggestions on the windows
I appreciate the advice. We have just had some good rain and two of the windows leak a bit. I could talk with my Glass man and see if he has some good rubber seals. Just can't figure if I like the windows or not. I restore old 40s warbirds and have done a lot of english wheel in aluminum. I certainly am paying attention to the forum members. This is a really great place to learn about this machine. I feel lucky to have found the forum
A good glass shop that works on older vehicles (check for a local "drive in" or hot rod show and ask around for the name of the best glass guy) should be able to take care of any leaking of fixed glass, it's not a difficult "fix". Non molded rubber glass gasket like for a windshield should be able to be used if the glass is cut to the right size. I drove a cargo van for about 10 years starting in the late 70s and pull a 24' enclosed car trailer for our race car. you get used to it pretty quickly. There is a trick to adjusting the side mirrors tho. The most difficult situation is when the street you are on intersects another at an angle. It helps then to have a copilot or you learn to try to straighten the intersection as much as possible at the end of your approach and lean way over to look out the pass window.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 AM
eshaver
Junior User
Well gang , count me as one of the few! I have owned a 1953 Ford Panel Delivery since 1982. I lived in Arlington Texas then and I got it via a Iraian student that had been deported from cheating on his finals at U T Dallas , Supposedly he was going to make it into an ice cream truck !
Look, theres way more to this story but suffice to say Had it not been for the members od the Lone Star Early V-8 Club, and Antique Auto Supply, I cou;d have never gotten this truck ever on the road . I will be forever in Stacy Browns debt as well as Chris Morrow with the club! Together , they lent me too;s that I didn't have , shop manuals and even helped me learn how to rebuild the transmission .
By the way , Frank Palmer , whereever ya are in Arlington Texas you deserve a special thanks as you saved me when we had to do a 12 volt conversion , Thanks too to Bob Reams electric who deserves a specia thanks for all the week-end advice he was able to provide as well.
Anyone in the Dallas - Fort Worth area should support these folks as they have always jumped to my aide at all times with this truck . I moved away from Arlington in 1985. Sadly , I had to return here to Richmond Virginia and I miss everyone there but thats another story. Still, I have been to Dakkas and returned five times now on the 100 Horse Mercury F;at head Frank Palmer helped me install in the 53! Try that Volvo, Toyota and Subaru! Ed Shaver

Old 09-14-2009, 01:25 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was pleased to see (briefly) a 1960 Ford panel truck in a TV news segment about a couple of local car shows. It's about 46 seconds in, on-line at:
http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip212795#clip212795

Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I'll add my buddy Rusty's panel to the discussion I guess. It's a '59 that's been renosed as '57. It was originally a service truck at Universal Studios in LA and appeared with Jack Nicholson in the movie "The Border" in 1982 or so. Here's the pics from the movie, and a pic of Rusty and the truck at the Knoxville show a couple years ago. Since then it's been renosed again after we/I hit a deer driving it to West Virginia. I was sick about that move!! Stu

Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
I'll add my buddy Rusty's panel to the discussion I guess. It's a '59 that's been renosed as '57. It was originally a service truck at Universal Studios in LA and appeared with Jack Nicholson in the movie "The Border" in 1982 or so. Here's the pics from the movie, and a pic of Rusty and the truck at the Knoxville show a couple years ago. Since then it's been renosed again after we/I hit a deer driving it to West Virginia. I was sick about that move!! Stu

Nice to have a truck with a good story behind it, thanks for posting.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 PM
jbrittonjr
Junior User
I have two Ford panel trucks.
One is a 1949 panel with what appears to be the original 8 cylinder flathead and manual transmission.
The second is a 1950 panel that someone stuffed a late model 6 cylinder engine & automatic transmission into.
Neither is road worthy, though both will start & run around the yard.
Rear doors on both are in poor shape.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a '59 panel. Always liked them, but just never was sure why. I think is just because they are rare. I see just a few at shows here in N.C.
Mike

Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 PM
fomocokid
New User
57-60 Ford Panel Truck weight

Hello, Does anyone have the specs or know where I can find the curb weight of the 57 thru 60 Ford panel trucks?

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I bet Stu will have it

Quick Reply: How many panel owners are there