Sometime ya just gotta look through a pile of stuff, to find what you've been

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 05:07 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometime ya just gotta look through a pile of stuff, to find what you've been

beating the brush for.

Over the past year or so ive been to a few swap meets, many online auctions, posted ads all over the place for a pass side running board for my '36. I even bought a raggy one just to have something to start with.

So today, I'm out back and decided to pull my other '36 (which has been on an old flatbed trailer my dad built since the '70's) up closer to start pulling afew things off that I'll be needing.

Under about 30+ years of accumulation of iron,walnut leave, branches, etc...I found...

The original rearend and wishbone setup---great swapmeet/trade material, another frontend axle with the linkns and tierod--again, great swapmeet stuff, many odds and ends...and...my passenger side running board...along with the spare tire bracket!

It's got some rot, but between it and the other one I have, will make one nice one.

Also, (keep in mind I haven't looked at this truck in 20 years) I blew the leaves out of the engine bay area to see of there was any frame left on it so i could slide and axle under it to roll it off the trailor.

Not only is there a frame still there, but also a Flat head V8, still sporting it's read colr, albeit mossy...called my dad and he said yeah, that had a "Mercury FH in it".

I'm sure it stuck from the years of sitting, but no direct water could have made it in with the hood and hood sides on...my dad also told me he drained the block before he parked it (how's he remember stuff like that is beyond me) so hopefully the block won't be cracked.

Heck, the material on the seats still has some good blue color to it.

I guess parking things under trees has it's advantages!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
wow, what a nice find Twenty years? I could never keep anything for twenty years that did not run. I would have to junk it, or fix it.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:10 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 years ago was probably the last time I poked through it...
More like 30 years at my dads place, down at the neighbors for 10 before that.

20 years to me is almost brand new

Heck, most of the iron/steel I use to make stuff was smelted before I was born.