N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

4x4 Timeline

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:01 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Timeline

We are all going different directions and looking for parts - yet we need all to pull the same direction.

My thinking was that we should have a truck we can compete with by the first of March - I know we have been discussing a meeting/campout in the Death Valley area then. I don't think that will be too far to ask the wimps in Las Vegas to go. Once we beat them we can move north and spend all summer taking on the rest of the Nevada chapter (somewhere around Reno?)

I thought we could split into three teams - an engine/tranny/xfer case team, the frame and suspension team, and the bodywork/interior team. All three could work at the same time, and combine the results towards the end of Feb.

This, of course, was only if we bought a 2wd and converted it to 4x4. We can save a lot of time if we buy a 4wd with the proper axles already installed, provided we get it purchased quickly.

What sort of timeline were you guys thinking of?

Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
That would be a pretty aggressive timeline, IMO.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:49 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's do-able in the latter scenario, that we find and purchase a truck that's already a 4X4, especially if it's got a good running 460 in it. Leaves a lot less to do...

Even converting a 460-powered 4X2 to 4X4 might be do-able within that time frame, but the situation we're currently facing, I.E. building my truck, converting it to 4X4 and installing the 460, while still potentially do-able within those limits might be such a rush job as to take a lot of the fun out of it for many of us. If we just weren't so damn spread out geographically...

We need to make a decision soon. I made a post in the poll thread...

Old 12-27-2006, 09:44 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
There's a couple of things I see that would make getting it all done (from my perspective anyways) by March, or even this summer.

As Dan mentioned, we're spread out pretty far between each other...so this means one guy does a lot of work on it at his place, or others take a long drive to help each weekend.

Again, from my perspective, I've a lot of irons in the fire, and although I dont mind helping out here and there, my priorites are pretty well set with what I want to get done..so leaves little room to reprioritize things.

2nd thing (again, just from my perspective) is that the shorter the timeframe to complete things, means spending more money in a shorter period of time...i/e if you look at it this way, say it takes 2 or 3K to get a roller to run, that's a grand a month...of which I don't have that kinda play money...a few bucks here and there no problem, but if things are tight (which is usually the case for most folks this time of year) the burden of the $$ fall on one or two guys...those few guys are probebly the ones that will be doing most of the work as well. Might create a hrdship/ill feeling/etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts