Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 12:55 AM
squeaver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with few questions.

Hey, all.

Im new to these forums, but not to forums in general and I know about search buttons and all of that jazz. I just had a few questions about my future truck. I will include a picture, (if I can with so few posts under my belt) but first the explanation/questions. Some background on myself. I am in the Air Force, stationed in North Carolina. Originally from Arkansas. I got married last year. I currenty drive a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon, but a few years ago had a 1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 4WD, blah, blah. Well, my wife and I are trying to pay off some credit cards, and had this great idea. When her grandfather died a few years back he left a couple of his farm trucks to my in-laws. Her dad gave one of them to us, but since we are in NC we didnt want to bother with it and gave it to her brother. Well he is done with it, and I am getting tired of my little car, I need a truck again. This truck is a 1988 F-150 4WD with the 4.9l. A few questions I have about this particular truck are. Could this be a 250? Or back then, could you get a suspension upgrade for your 150s and give them beefier axles? I know I am from Arkansas and all, but I am pretty sure I can count, and this truck looks like it has 8 lugs to me. And I thought 1/2 tons only came with 6. Please correct me if I am wrong. I know the body needs some attention, but some of the money we are saving with not having my car payment anymore, will go into fixing this old truck up. Thanks for reading my uber-long post. Lets hope this picture hosting thing works, if not, I will feel pretty retarded.

Enjoy.

Parker

Old 12-23-2006, 12:55 AM
squeaver
New User
Sweet, I can see the picture, can any of you?

Parker

Old 12-23-2006, 04:17 AM
Galizien
Senior User
Yeah looks like an F-250 3/4 ton to me. 8 lugs and all

Old 12-23-2006, 11:07 AM
SilverSport
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a 250 to me also .... 150's had 5 lugs. F250 has leaf springs in front and back, 150 has coils up front. But it could have been upgraded. Looks like you will be using the HobbyShop a bit ... hopefully there is a paint booth where you are stationed.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:30 AM
squeaver
New User
Hey thanks guys. They don't have a paint booth here, so I will probably just gt a cheap-o Maaco paintjob for the time being to prevent anymore rust. And since it definitely isnt going to be a show truck, there really isn't any reason to get a super expensive paint job done on her. My plans are to get all new trim, all around, new grille, emblems, etc. . Clean up the engine bay, im sure it's dirty. Some performance mods, like intake, (been reading, and looks like the most economical thing is to get an airbox from a 460 and put it next to the radiator for cooler air), headers, and exhaust. I just plan on running maybe a 2 1/2in from the headers back to a flowmaster or similar muffler, single in, dual out, dumped at the axle, or should I say, "turned down" at the rear axle, I guess there is another term for dumped exhaust that I am not familiar with. I am going home on leave in a week and will get to see the truck in person then, and drive it, so I will have more of an update concerning the condition and general drivability of the truck later. Plus more pictures.

Parker

Old 12-24-2006, 01:19 AM
squeaver
New User
Shamless bump for myself.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
squeaver
New User
Well, I went home this past week and got to see the truck in person, I am stoked to get this thing out here with me so I can start fixing it up. I got some more photos too. Turns out it has the 7.5l 460 so, I have some learning to do. Anyhow, on to the pictures.

The only major concerns that i have with the truck are the fuel guage, speedometer, and the doors will lock, but wont unlock with the key. Some other minor stuff. Anyhow, I can't wait to start working on this truck. I am so excited. I am definitely going to have to read up on how to fix up the motor so I can squeeze the most fuel mileage as possible out of it. Ok, let me know what you all think. When I get the truck out here in about a month, I will post some more pics as I go through it and fix her up.

Parker

Old 01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
looks like a good old work truck, that little basket on the seat really helps with the image, haha.

looks like theres no bad ford cancer over the wheel wells. the paint work will be cheaper if you can do some work your self, pull the trim and side steps ect ect. sand down the worst of it. every little thing that you can do is one less thing they wont charge you for when they have to do it.

those 460s arnt know for their gas mileage, any mod you can do to it should help ya out. headers and free flowing exhaust will help alot, once you can stop flooring it to hear the noise it'll make.

good luck with your new project truck

Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Yeah seems like a great truck especially one to fix up and work on yeah dont got to much off that typical ford rust over the wheel wells and what not great find

Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
SilverSport
Elder User
Well .... That 5th picture settles it .... it's a 250. Get it to the base .... hopefully it's not just an AF base .... Go to the hobby shop and see who is there that has done projects like this .... At the base I work at the AF Flew Away, no more A-10's in Southern Louisiana ... but the Marines are the guys that like working on their trucks. Hook up with some of them.

And the First thing you need to do is to remove Cecil's sticker ... might even find the original paint color under there.