1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Research Power Steps Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:05 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Amp Research Power Steps Installed!

Last week a neighbor nearly killed herself getting out of my truck. So, to lessen the chance of this occurring again, I decided to get lower steps and these were my first choice. I won't do an extensive write-up, there are a couple on the Internet, namely Truck Blog, that did a far better job than I could. I'll just give some quick highlights:
1. Very well engineered product. Even the packaging job was exceptional.
2. Comes with everything needed. They give you Posi-Tap connectors (not to be mistaken with T-taps) to tap into the door trigger wires, I chose to solder and use heatshrink. I'm just picky that way.
3. The wiring harness comes pre-lengthened and wrapped in wire loom. These folks did their homework, it fits perfectly.
4. Probably one of the easiest installations of anything I've done in a long time. I have nothing but praise for the folks at Amp Research. Their wiring diagrams were right on the money. Wire color and location were exact. They even include a semi-stiff plastic tube to make running the wire from the driver's door into the cab a lot easier.
5. The steps are butter smooth, quick, and whisper quiet, in both extending and retracting. They are also rock solid when you step on them.
6. They make a phenomenal difference in getting into/out of the truck. My truck only has 4.5" of lift and 35" tires, so I didn't think the step up/down from the factory running boards was that bad, but after using the power steps, wow! What a difference in comfort. Sorry, but I didn't measure before and after.
7. Please don't ask me how much I paid. I bought them from a local shop that has been willing to go the extra mile for me on several occasions, so I try and return the favor buy purchasing from them if they sell the product I need. You could definitely find them cheaper elsewhere.

In summary: These are an excellent choice for anyone who wants a lower step, but can't afford to lose ground clearance. Well engineered and thought out, down to the smallest detail. I can't recommend them enough. And oh yeah! The "Coolness Factor" is through the roof.

Here are some pics:

Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonathan the truck is looking great and the AMP steps look excellent!! So how do you think they would stand up to the NY salt and snow? I have been considering getting these steps after I put 35's on the truck as I think the factory steps will not be low enough.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:26 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that's awesome!

Oh yeah, did you remember to slide the heatshrink over the wire before you soldered them together?

Old 12-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Bear Hunter
Posting Guru
Awesome man! and beautiful truck btw...

Old 12-21-2006, 08:00 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
In summary: These are an excellent choice for anyone who wants a lower step, but can't afford to lose ground clearance. Well engineered and thought out, down to the smallest detail. I can't recommend them enough. And oh yeah! The "Coolness Factor" is through the roof.

Yea and it's too bad that the price is through the roof as well.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:49 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ronin007
So how do you think they would stand up to the NY salt and snow? I have been considering getting these steps after I put 35's on the truck as I think the factory steps will not be low enough.
Darren- From what you've told me about that salt they use, I'm not sure anything can last. But the motors and drivegear are sealed and they are pretty well covered with paint, so I think they might last a good long while, and the way they tuck-up underneath, it doesn't seem like snow would have much effect on their operation. I'm not sure about the freezing temps though, that might be a problem. I'll let you know how they work in deep sand next time I manage to get stuck.
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Oh yeah, did you remember to slide the heatshrink over the wire before you soldered them together?
Oh, it's a lump of coal for X-mas for you buddy! And not a big peice that you can burn for heat either, but a little nugget that's just big enough to make your hands black and dirty up that truck!
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter
Awesome man! and beautiful truck btw...
Thanks Bear. I can't believe you got that new truck looking like that, that quick. I'm guessing there's still some sting from the loss of your other one, but walking out and seeing that badboy has got to help dull the pain some.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:49 AM
metalman1320
Elder User
Man, great looking dually!! Do those steps drop down when you open the door? I see them down but it looks like all the doors are closed. Or am I just a moron? Am I missing something?

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2006, 08:50 AM
PERFORMANCE RED
Laughing Gas
I love mine and wouldn't change anything about them.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:25 AM
sofdchief
Senior User
steps

I have been looking at a set of those for a while. I agree that they are a well engineered design, and a have a very nice look to them. Only problem I have found with them is the cost. It's hard for me to justify that kind of cash for cab steps, but we'll see how business is next year....just maybe!

By the way...the dually looks great with them!

Old 12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Gotta love the AMP steps.

As for the questions on winter weather.....I've had mine through 2 winters so far. They've been covered in road salt for over a month straight, caked in mud and snow and even had the truck completely covered in ice as I was trying to wash the salt off with windchills below zero. Never had any problems with them at all. They work awesome.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Thanks Dan. I forgot that you had them on your truck. Stupid me.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:48 PM
bkmf250sd
Junior User
EnvirCon, any chance you have a link to Amp Research. I'd like to see if they have the steps in chrome. Got a black F350 with Chrome running boards. Like the idea they can retrack. I've got two girls the slide out of the truck, even though I the running boards, they get confused!!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 02:53 PM
PERFORMANCE RED
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bkmf250sd
EnvirCon, any chance you have a link to Amp Research. I'd like to see if they have the steps in chrome. Got a black F350 with Chrome running boards. Like the idea they can retrack. I've got two girls the slide out of the truck, even though I the running boards, they get confused!!!!
just out of curiosity why would you want chrome? You only see them for the time you get in and out of your truck otherwise they are hidden?

Old 12-22-2006, 04:40 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Thank you all for the kind words!
Originally Posted by metalman1320
Do those steps drop down when you open the door? I see them down but it looks like all the doors are closed. Or am I just a moron? Am I missing something?
You're not missing anything. They do drop down with the opening of a door. I had to pull the fuse while they were down to get them to stay like that while I took the pics.
Originally Posted by bkmf250sd
They only come in black. But, minus the end caps, they're metal, so I don't see why you couldn't get them chromed if you wanted to.

www.amp-research.com

Old 12-22-2006, 09:53 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Actually if you stand on the step or just put down pressure with your foot while you close the door they will stay open on their own.

They will close the next time you open and close the door.

No need to pull any fuses.

I normally push down on them and close the door to keep them open for when I wash the truck....that way I can wash off the step too.

Quick Reply: Amp Research Power Steps Installed!