Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rear Engine Oil seal leak - common?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Flywest
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Engine Oil seal leak - common?

Is it considered common to get the odd drop of engine oil leak past the rear engine seal on the 7.3PSD and show weeping out from under the auto trans TC inspecion plate on the bell housing?

Doesn't seem to drop on the garage floor - but theres a drop hanging when I get under there and if you push the plate you see oil weeping out from under it where it joins the bell housing!

It's not ATF - it's clear (yellow) engine oil!

Should I worry at 60,000 miles / 2004 Yr? about a hanging drop?

Previous owner said only problem he ever had was an oil leak (didn't specify where tho).....fixed under warranty!

While the 3 years 60,000 Mile warranty is expired, I have a further 3 year extended warranty, I could claim it under!

Just not sure it's worth worrying about, never seen a ford yet in 30 years didn't leak round the rear graphite rope crank seal!

Cheers!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:03 PM
lethal5point7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Flywest
Is it considered common to get the odd drop of engine oil leak past the rear engine seal on the 7.3PSD and show weeping out from under the auto trans TC inspecion plate on the bell housing?

Doesn't seem to drop on the garage floor - but theres a drop hanging when I get under there and if you push the plate you see oil weeping out from under it where it joins the bell housing!

It's not ATF - it's clear (yellow) engine oil!

Should I worry at 60,000 miles / 2004 Yr? about a hanging drop?

Previous owner said only problem he ever had was an oil leak (didn't specify where tho).....fixed under warranty!

While the 3 years 60,000 Mile warranty is expired, I have a further 3 year extended warranty, I could claim it under!

Just not sure it's worth worrying about, never seen a ford yet in 30 years didn't leak round the rear graphite rope crank seal!

Cheers!
These leaks are commonly assumed to be from the rear of the engine, when most times they come from the top of the engine. The turbo pedestal has o-ring seals that go bad quite often, and the leaks usually start small and grow with time. The oil that leaks from these will run down the back of the motor. Another common culprit is the HPOP seals.. Get on top of the motor and inspect the turbo pedestal, there are 4 o-rings (two at the where the turbo mounts, and two underneath where the pedestal mounts to the engine).

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:05 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, i was about to say to make perfectly sure that it is indeed not coming from the top of the engine, going downward, and dripping off the inspection plate.. Turbo pedestal o-rings when they leak only leak a small annoyingly amount of oil, just enough to coat the back of the engine and transmission in oil but not necessarily enough to puddle on the ground.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:17 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by flywest
never seen a ford yet in 30 years didn't leak round the rear graphite rope crank seal!
Then it's fortunate that your International 7.3 doesn't use one.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Flywest
Senior User
So

I'm back to checking the turbo pedestal and rear of engine at top, for source of oil leak huh?

I'll take a looksee and report further!

No rope seal on the crank huh?....well IH did make some good agricultural gear in times past - maybe thats a saving grace!

So....who made the turbo pedestal with the leaky O rings? Garrett? Ford? IH? Jethro Clampett?

Man, I hate oil leaks!

Cheers!

Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 PM
84deisel
here sometimes
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
we use synthetic oil in our trucks and on some we have noticed some seepageon the rear main seal.Although it doesn't leave drips it is noticable when we do our oil pan inspections. Ford says this is normal when using synthetic oil ,so they say.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Flywest
Senior User
Good Call

It would appear that you've all called it correctly!

While we couldn't detect oil behind the turbo pedestal from the top, (pretty hard to reach in there) the valley of the V8 does have a nice clean pool of yellow engine oil sitting in there which appears to be draining down the back of the engine to the bell housing inspection plate!

I am to assume this is from the Turbo Pedestal O rings gone bad or the High Pressure Oil Pump (wheres that located?)!

I figure since I have a 3yr extended warranty I might as well get it repaired by the dealer eh?

Course - how am II to know for 100% sure of they don't just staem clean the engine and say - there you go....without doing the actual work...

Is there any way to tell with 100% efficacy if in fact the O rings get replaced, or whether I'm just getting a snow job done on me?

Guess I could always ask to see the damaged O rings that are removed!!

So - why do these O rings regularly fail?..any idea's!

Cheers!

Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Flywest
Senior User
How does one know

How does one know if the leak is from HPOP or turbo pedestal O rings?

All I know is oil pools in the valley and drips out the transmission TC cover plate!

Is there any easy way to determine if it's HPOP O rings rather than Turbo Pedestal O rings!

As stated - we tried real hard and got hands around behind Turbo, compressor wheel, and pedestal etc and didn't come up wet with oil (just greasey/dirty with dust and old oil)!

As a last resort, poked finger down thru wiring harnesses on top of valley and came out wet with clean oil... The oils clean coz the trucks only done 1000 km's since it's last service and the sump oils still clean!

I have no manual - and don't know where the HPOP is located...

How hard is a HPOP replace O rings task?...it has to be easier than a turbo pedestal tear down doesn't it?

I've read about some special thin spanner tool and using same from small grinder / dremmel tool...to hold the body...

Whereabouts does one actually see this HPOP and whats it look like - I presume it's somewhere in the valley if the oil pools there?

Just from what I read here, it sounded more like HPOP to me than a Turbo pedestal base O rings leak, but I could well be wrong!!

I would just like to know what to tell the Ford Dealer mechanics to look for when I take it in (and be right about same)!

Cheers!

Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If you look below the fuel filter housing at the top center of the engine, you will see a wierd looking thing that certainly does NOT look like a pump, that has two hydraulic hoses coming out of the left side. Well at least here on the LH drive trucks, the HPOP has hoses coming out of the left side ( ) and sometimes just tightening the nut will fix it.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:51 PM
lethal5point7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Flywest
How does one know if the leak is from HPOP or turbo pedestal O rings?

All I know is oil pools in the valley and drips out the transmission TC cover plate!

Is there any easy way to determine if it's HPOP O rings rather than Turbo Pedestal O rings!

As stated - we tried real hard and got hands around behind Turbo, compressor wheel, and pedestal etc and didn't come up wet with oil (just greasey/dirty with dust and old oil)!

As a last resort, poked finger down thru wiring harnesses on top of valley and came out wet with clean oil... The oils clean coz the trucks only done 1000 km's since it's last service and the sump oils still clean!

I have no manual - and don't know where the HPOP is located...

How hard is a HPOP replace O rings task?...it has to be easier than a turbo pedestal tear down doesn't it?

I've read about some special thin spanner tool and using same from small grinder / dremmel tool...to hold the body...

Whereabouts does one actually see this HPOP and whats it look like - I presume it's somewhere in the valley if the oil pools there?

Just from what I read here, it sounded more like HPOP to me than a Turbo pedestal base O rings leak, but I could well be wrong!!

I would just like to know what to tell the Ford Dealer mechanics to look for when I take it in (and be right about same)!

Cheers!
If you're taking it to the dealer and you have less than 100k on the truck, that is a warranteed item. You truck is a 2004 right? You should only pay the small deductable charge (it's 100 bucks here) and they should fix it under 5year100k engine warranty.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Flywest
Senior User
Warranty

You guys may get 5 years or 100,000 miles, but downunder we only get 3 years or 100,000 kilometers (60 000 miles) warranty from the Ford dealer!

Mines done 104,000 km's so is outside factory warranty, but I did buy a factory extended warranty, for another 3 years, so they will end up doing it anyway, unless it's something as simple as me tightening a loose nut or something!

I'll have to try and identify this HPOP thing....it's not the black round black plastic flying suacer shaped thing right in the middle is it?

I am spending a fair bit of time with my head under the hood - but it seems i ain't understanding a lot of what I'm seeing just yet!

Believe me it ain't for the want of trying!

I'll take a photo in the morning....

Cheers!

Old 12-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Directly under the flying saucer (Fuel Fileter Housing) is the HPOP

You cant really see it but that Black loom in the center is one of the HPOP lines

Old 12-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Highmark18
Senior User
After reading this thread I was checking mine as well, and found a yellow o-ring laying in the rear of the valley pan a little smaller than a quarter. Does anyone know what this would be from? In July the dealer had fixed the exhaust valve linkage because it was leaking, and not sure if the o-ring is from that or something else-Thanks