Modular V10 (6.8l)  

What's the heaviest 5th wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:47 PM
derrickg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the heaviest 5th wheel?

I just ordered a new KZ Escalade that will probably be around 17,000lbs. loaded. I travel alone and I would like to order an F-350 w/ the V-10, but I'm concerned about the weight. I used to have a F-250 with the 6.0 diesel, and of course it was fine, but I would like to stick with gas for a number reasons. Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

Old 12-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rating for payload is greater with the V10 and the towing is the same. I'd get the 4.30 gearing.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:14 PM
derrickg
New User
Thanks

That's exactly what gear I was going to get!

Old 12-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Geneoh
Senior User
Good question!
I got a thread goin, I hope some of these guy's will fess up their weight.
BTW I looked at KZ Escalade's also very nice rig!
Intrest rate backed me off it at the time
Ended up with a KZ Sportsmen sportster toy-hauler.
Which one did you order?
Gene

Old 12-16-2006, 04:57 PM
derrickg
New User
Kz

37REB (Rear entertainment center w/ 40" LCD HD TV)

Old 12-16-2006, 07:13 PM
azdrawdy
Senior User
Not so sure on this one...

Where are you planning on towing? I love my truck with a passion, but if I was going to pull another two and a half tons, AND I was going to consistently tackle serious grades, I would want at least another hundred or so lb/ft of torque, and whatever else I could muster. Don't forget the V10 is a naturally aspirated engine.

You are going to be pushing the SD to (or beyond) its limits. No matter which engine, or which axle ratio you get.

Have you looked at the actual Ford towing guide for 2007? I am looking at TrailerLife's 2007 Guide to Towing and I don't see where an SD is rated for 17,000 lbs.

Are you a frequenter to RV.Net's forums? The people there are not, for the most part, gasoline fans, but there are some folks on there called, not affectionately, the Weight Police. There are some very knowledgeable fiver pullers in there. You may not like what you hear, but you may need to hear it.

Michael

Old 12-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Everybody always wants the most bang for the buck

With a Ford Gasoline powered Tow rig you have three very good choices

I do not have the order guides in front of me but here are my thoughts based on my 2005 V10 powered F350 4 door Long bed 4x4 with 4.30:1 axles Single Rear Wheels (SRW)

You NEED a LONG bed for the KZ Escalade 5er (plus this is how you get the 38 gallon fuel tank)

I recommend the DRW (dually) version for added safety in mountain passes with a lot of hair pin turns.... If you tend to stick mostly to interstate roads int he tall mountains then the SRW axle has enough weight capability for that trailer

The F350 F450 V10s have a slightly higher payload and tow capacity because the motor is 400 pounds lighter

You can get a F350 SRW 4.30. or the DRW version or new for 2008 is a F450 SuperDuty PICKUP body...in the past the F450 and up be mostly Cab Chassis only where you have to order a separate cargo bed of some sort

The F450 Pickup in Lariat trim is not significantly more cost over the F350 dually and has a BUNCH more load capacity for the extra safety that means. Physically the truck is not much different from the F350

The 3v V10 F450 with 5R110w TorqShift will come standard with a 4.88:1 axle with the option to get it in LS or get a 5.38:1 in LS also... I recommend staying with the 4.88:1 and upgrading to the LS unit

The other MUST have option on a F350 or F450 is the Tow Command Package that includes the Integrated Trailer Brake controler...Fords built in factor Trailer Brake controller is the very best unit I have ever towed with and I have bought and installed all the high end systems out there

I also recommend the factory installed "upfitter" switches... a set of 4 switches mounted on the dash that the owner can connect to any 12VDC accessory like fog lights, winch, radio amp, etc.. very good utility and they provide 2- 10 Amp and 2- 30 Amp circuits. One of these switches can be set to kick on the Stationary Elevated Idle Control (SEIC) a system built into the PCM so the idle can be set higher to charge batteries or control the PTO (if equipped)

http://www.sunrisefordfleet.com/08_order.htm

These are the order guides...unfortunatly they do not have the tow haul weights

Old 12-17-2006, 08:08 AM
derrickg
New User
Thank you!

Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking about the SRW as I will be mostly stationary. (4 mos. here, 4 mos. there, etc). I will get the tow command, even though Ford says it won't work with disc brakes on the trailer. I ordered the Escalade with the standard elec. brakes. I will also get the XLT ext. cab, long-bed and the 4.30 gears.

I am also a ham op. (K8IEL) since I was 12 yrs. old (1955)

Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For a 17000 pound Fiver, you need an F450 or a MDT . IMHO

Old 12-17-2006, 08:46 AM
azdrawdy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
For a 17000 pound Fiver, you need an F450 or a MDT . IMHO
WT, you put it in a much more concise and blunt manner than I did. I was thinking Volvo MDT (or similar) for that much weight...Basically a mini semi...Not a SuperDuty/V10, SRW or DRW, as much as we all love them on this forum.

You need to consider dry weight and pin weight, then add at least a couple thousand pounds for RV options and clothes/drinks/food/etc. Now consider the GCWR. You will probably find yourself well over Ford's ratings.

Michael

Old 12-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Smile

Yes I spend a bit of time on RV forums and it is amazing how people try to justify pulling great big fivers with GMC HD 2500s and F250s.

Chev does not make a SRW 1 ton with a short box so the Chev's are abused more than the Ford. The Chev has a 9400 GVWR but it is so much lighter than the Ford F250, even though the Ford F250 now has a 10000 GVWR, they both have around the same payload.

Many of the guys I talk to are pulling Fivers with 3300 pounds of pin weight with these light payload pickups. Some rear load to lighten the pin weight, I do not agree with this weird logic.
Never mine all the rest of the stuff we put in the cab, wives, dogs, tools........ The Pin weight is only part of the payload,

These SRW trucks are all well over their GVWR and some are even over the axle rating in some cases.

I have said this many times , to take full advantage of the 23000 pound combined rating on a SRW pickup, you probably have to be towing a conventional tow-behind because most big fivers will put a SRW truck well over it's GVWR.

In my own case, I have an 11200 # GVWR and I have the smallest Montana model you can buy, It is called a 2955RL but it is just over 33 feet long, 13 feet high and weighs 12300 pounds loaded. 2600 pounds on the pin.

This combination puts my GVW at 11080 pounds. So yes folks, If I had a PSD in this thing, I would be overweight and I live in a looney Province that has Weight police so here is another reason to own a V10.
I researched my Fiver purchase to get the biggest unit I could get and still be legal with a SRW pickup because I don't want a dually. Take care.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:26 AM
derrickg
New User
Thanks again

I guess the bottom line here is;
Can I tow a 17,000lb 5th wheel with a DRW, V-10 with a 4.30 gear safely (LB - super cab)?

If it any consolation, I would purchase a F-350 with the new 6.4 diesel if that's what I need to do. I'm just trying to "get away" with a gas engine if possible, as I won't be towing for great distances (I will be based in N. AZ for 6 mos. and the Phoenix area for 6 mos.)

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I really do appreciate them.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by derrickg
I guess the bottom line here is;
Can I tow a 17,000lb 5th wheel with a DRW, V-10 with a 4.30 gear safely (LB - super cab)?
Bottom line is "NO".

Buy the new F450 pickup with the diesel. You'll be a lot happier with the performance and handling... especially in the mountains.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
While I tend to agree with NoMo on the bottom line BEST package out there is the F450 6.4L diesel........I think that Fords last two attempts at a diesel powered tow rig were dismal failures

That said, I would not be in a hurry for a first year 6.4L diesel truck from FoMoCo

I certainly hope it turns out to be a winner

I also know that the 3Valve 6.8L V10 mated to a 5R110w twisting 4.30s will get the job done ....even up and over Vail pass 11,000 feet ++ with a full Gross Combined Vehicle Weight of 22,847 pounds... I have done it several times and the motor and trans love to pull and I was more then able to keep up with, and frequently pass, all the turbo charged diesel tow rigs out there

For that 17,000 pound (DRY??) trailer the F450 is the MUCH better choice and is only slightly more cash then the similarly equipped F350...

Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM
azdrawdy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
I also know that the 3Valve 6.8L V10 mated to a 5R110w twisting 4.30s will get the job done ....even up and over Vail pass 11,000 feet ++ with a full Gross Combined Vehicle Weight of 22,847 pounds... I have done it several times and the motor and trans love to pull and I was more then able to keep up with, and frequently pass, all the turbo charged diesel tow rigs out there
I certainly look forward to doing this! I have been concerned about the lack of forced air when hitting Molas Pass next May. The Smoky Mountains can be steep as all get-out, and my truck has ZERO problems pulling my fiver up the "hills", but I don't lose HP at the elevations I have been climbing.

I looked at KZ's website and will tell you that if I were pulling something with that much weight (and at those dollar figures), it wouldn't be with a 250/350 SD...

Quick Reply: What's the heaviest 5th wheel?