Sponsored by:

Overhead DVD

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:53 AM
azmeeks
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead DVD

Has anyone installed overhead dvd? My 04 limited did not come with one and wanted to know if it is hard. And a recommened brand that is a good fit.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 AM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by azmeeks
Has anyone installed overhead dvd? My 04 limited did not come with one and wanted to know if it is hard. And a recommened brand that is a good fit.
I have never installed one, no. But my friend just had a nice system installed at Circuit City. They did an extremely professional installation. And it was FREE just for buying the system from them.

The OEM factory system is way too expensive in my opinion, combined with the fact you have to order a new mounting bracket that goes above the headliner.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM
9wire
Senior User
I have an indash unit and installed my own 8",but it was not easy with the rear a/c vents and controls.What I ended up doing is remove the center a/c vent,put up a spacer made of a short piece of 2x4,mount the bracket for the monitor to it.Got 12v from passenger side map light.You have to cut out a piece of the inner headliner above the vent to do this.Turned out nice,but was kinda scary as I did not want to replace the headliner due to a rookie mistake.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:57 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree - go to one of the big box stores...

have the factory one and alll I can say is that's the SMALLEST screen I have ever seen - onlyused it once !

Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 AM
gabeyd
Senior User
I recently did mine myself. I removed the rear A/C controls, so now they have to be controlled from the front. I moved the control from the rear that doesn't have the "rear" setting to the front, so now the front controls just have off, low, med, high, and don't have "rear" anymore. Works great.

I then mounted the DVD over the hole in the headliner that the removed A/C controls made. Seems like the perfect place. I got 12V from the far slide out windows, as it is on a relay that shuts down when the truck is turned off.

I ran audio down to the front and use a casette adaptor to get the sound into the stock radio.

Feel free to ask more questions if you want.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:30 AM
3KIDDAD
Junior User
Would love to see pictures...

Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 PM
L8RG8R
Junior User
While not the overhead variety, I installed a monitor into each headrest and LOVE the setup. They were very easy to install...10 minutes per side max.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 AM
3KIDDAD
Junior User
Awsome setup... I think I like that better than overhead. What system is it and how are the headrest monitors installed?

Thanks for the picture!

Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 AM
L8RG8R
Junior User
I don't have time to do the detailed explaination now as I'm on my wait out the door. I'll post up later today with better detail.

In a nut shell:

The monitors and head unit are Panasonic.

To mount the headrest monitors, you put the monitor frame to the seat and trace the border. Then draw an "X" from corner to corner. With a razor, cut along the "X" stopping about 1/4" short from the corners.

You should now have 4 triangular flaps that can be folded inwards in to the seat (I cut off the top and bottom one and left the sides due to lack of material in the seat) Remove the nessary foam to fit the monitor. Hold the mounting plate in the cut out section, mark your mounting holes and drill your pilots. Mount the mounting plate, feed the wire down the back of the seat (there is a small exit hole at the bottom of the seat back), screw and snap in the monitor into the mounting bracket and snap on the frame.

DONE!

(and yes, I did get a slight queazy feeling when pushing a razor blase throught the factory leather )

Old 12-18-2006, 08:44 PM
L8RG8R
Junior User
To add:

If you decide to go the headrest monitor route, DO NOT try and level the monitor in the seat using the stitched seam across the seat as a guide. I did and got lucky with the driver's side. The passenger side was actually sewn slightly "uphill". You can kind of see it in the picture above. Instead, use a level and your eye ball (or even someone elses).

Each monitor came with its own little control box that provides: power, 2 A/V inputs, and an A/V output (to send the A/V signal to multiple monitors).

I was going to do the overhead video too untill I really started looking in to it and saw how much trouble it was going to be.

The monitors are Panasonic CY-V7100U
The headunit is a Panasonic CQ-VD6503U

Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 PM
3KIDDAD
Junior User
Ok L8RG8R you inspired me! I bought a system and plan to do the installation tomorrow. Any last words of advise? What type of hardware did you use to install the headrest monitors... I think I felt a metal plate in the headrest do you simply drill holes into that and if so what type of screws did you use that threaded into it?

Old 12-23-2006, 08:15 AM
big eddie
Junior User
3KIDDAD - Please post some pics and an idea of how you think the install went. I'm planning on adding a DVD system to my X in the near future so I'm curious to see how it goes.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:06 PM
9wire
Senior User
Here's a shot of the 8" I installed in mine.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:46 PM
ptolalibertad
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i put in headrest monitors and had a hard time with drilling holes in the frame.. i saw on a truck show on tv..that guy installed the monitor brackets with zip ties..took him 5 minutes.. wish i thought of it.. just a suggestion.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:28 AM
L8RG8R
Junior User
Originally Posted by 3KIDDAD
Ok L8RG8R you inspired me! I bought a system and plan to do the installation tomorrow. Any last words of advise? What type of hardware did you use to install the headrest monitors... I think I felt a metal plate in the headrest do you simply drill holes into that and if so what type of screws did you use that threaded into it?
Yes, there is a metal plate in there. My monitors came with the mounting plates and screws. The screws look like sheet metal screws and all I did was drill holes that were slightly small than the diameter of the screw's threads and then used a strong power screwdriver to install them. Good luck on your install and let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply: Overhead DVD