1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

76' Mustang II parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 07:34 PM
pademc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 76' Mustang II parts

I own a 48 F1 w/a flatbed(for now), stock suspension with a 351W and a 4 speed stick. I also own a running 76 Mustang II. I would like to put the front suspension from the "II" under the F1. I've seen articles about putting "custom" units in an F1, but nothing about putting in a stock unit and steering column. Does anyone have any ideas about doing this? Also, I checked the width on the two rear ends and the "II" is four inches narrower. Since I don't have a bed will the "II" rear end fit after I get a bed? Any help would be appreciated.
Dennis

Old 12-19-2001, 09:43 PM
tkbowman
Senior User
76' Mustang II parts

If you decide to use your MII front end, you'll end up needing to split it and add a section in the middle. I'd recommend at least putting in an aftermarket crossmember (TCI, HEIDT's, FATMAN, etc.). It's a much cleaner installation.

Also, there's been a lot of discussion on this forum re: using VOLARE or AEROSTAR or DAKOTA clips on F1's and F100's. Check them out. The Tech articles cover a volare installation. I can give you a link to a site which pictures installation of a MII front end on a pickup. Contact me offlist for the link.

I'm putting a TCI MII in my '56 after owning a stock MII front end.

Tim in Burien
tk56f100(No Email Addresses In Posts!)
:-X12

Old 12-20-2001, 12:25 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
76' Mustang II parts

The must II truck crossmembers also come with special extensions for the rack and pinion steering arms. Nothing is as simple as it seems sometimes.

Old 12-20-2001, 08:00 AM
darkman
Posting Guru
76' Mustang II parts

After looking a long time and then finding out I really only had one option, I have decided to use the Fatman Fabrications Mustang II kit. I like the company and the product. I also like the thought that I will be able to purchase replacement parts easily and cheaply. Anything else you use will eventually become obsolete and hard to find parts for(ie Volare, Dakota, and most other junkyard clips). I will be able to use the factory power steering pump and that appeals to me since I am trying to retain a stock look under the hood.

Thanks,
Charles

Old 12-20-2001, 09:04 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
76' Mustang II parts

Your MII rearend will be too narrow unless you plan to tub the box or do something else with the wheels.
There are a lot of donor third members out there. Any 9" from a 57 thru 72 half ton is already the right length and only needs minor fabrication. Allows you the option of picking up whatever gear ratio you decide to use. Stock measurements are 61 1/4 axle face to face (or 57" axle housing tube to tube).
Some have used rears from various year lincolns and others may work. You could probably use an axle an inch longer or shorter, but I doubt that you can make up 4". If you want I'll measure exactly what the stock box measures. Just give yourself enought room for tire flex and movement from the spring shackles on turns to keep things from rubbing.
Have fun with your project!

Old 12-20-2001, 11:15 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will want to junk the MII rearend. It is too small and weak for anything other than a Pinto or Mustang II. Get a 8" or 9" Ford from a car and the wheels can match the front after you get new rotors with 5 lugs. The aftermarket crossmembers should include an extension so tha you can use the MII parts you have. Spend $89 on new rotors with 5 lugs and the corrct pattern to match the front end.
As far as getting replacement parts, the Pinto/Mustang II was only used for 6 years,74-80. The streetrod aftermarket does reproduce alot of it and some are shiny and pretty too.

Old 12-20-2001, 07:38 PM
pademc
Freshman User

First off thanks for all the replys. What made you decide to change the MII front end after it was installed? I read somewhere that I could unbolt the MII front end, cut the F1 frame and weld the MII in its place. It sounded to good to be true, and we all know the rest.
I was looking for an inexpensive way to change the front suspension and since I had the MII sitting in my driveway I thought I could use it.

Old 12-22-2001, 11:23 AM
tkbowman
Senior User
76' Mustang II parts

The Mustang II does NOT unbolt from the Mustang. It is welded in place. I used a torch and a drill to strip my clip down a manageable size before I replaced it with a TCI unit.

Tim in Burien
:-X12

Old 12-22-2001, 01:59 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
76' Mustang II parts

The Mustang II kits are inexpensive so I would not give up on that idea. Once you weld the kit all the donor items will bolt on. Of course there are many options that can increase the cost i.e. p/s, tubular A frames, Bigger discs, etc.... but you don't have to have them or can add them later.

Thanks,
Merry CHRISTmas
Charles Buzbee

Old 12-22-2001, 08:25 PM
jml
Senior User
76' Mustang II parts