1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Info on flathead inline sixes

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 03:15 PM
DonF
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JML,

I checked out the Web site and it looked great. So were the pictures that Johann5 posted. The pictures and the site are proving very helpful in getting my truck back to were it should be.

JML, you said the following in you message:

>The M and the H
>are close in looks....remember, the numbers on top of the
>cylinder head do not mean that it is a H series
>motor....only the cylinder type.

Cylinder type? There's more then one type of cylinder? Are do all H and M's have the same cylinder head numbers. Not certain by what you mean in the above.

BTW, I use the baffle on my engine. I don't think it does much but I have it and the factory must have put it there for a reason. They would not have spent the money if it didn't do something. It would appear that it keeps the front of the intake manifold a little warmer. Perhaps it helps provides more even combustion in the cylinders under certain circumstances.

Old 01-07-2002, 09:58 PM
jml
Senior User

Yes, the 6 cylinder 226 came with three types of cylinders. The types are stamped on the top of the motor...they are the 7HA-6050 ( from what I gather to be the more abundant of all three), 0HA-6050 and the 1HA-6050 (interchangable with either of the above two types). I really do not know that much about the M series but what I gather there is only one type of cylinder head for the series. Don't know why the difference. I too have always presumed that the Mercury line of F-1 or whatever M...... they named it, came strictly with a 8 flathead motor.......can't say why I presume this or where I read it at.
...........The baffle...now this continues to baffle me. I have never seen one in all of the trucks I have seen in my part of the territory. Was this some midwestern thing? Was the baffle installed purely for cold weather climates? This baffles me. jim
www.48f-1.com

Old 01-07-2002, 11:14 PM
50F2
Junior User

I think the baffle was a stock item, that just got broken off or left off many engines over the years. The bolt securing mine to the cyl head snapped off during removal, so I just left it off. The 51 I had years ago didnt have one on it, either. Mustve been there for a reason, though, huh.

I noticed on Johann's head (cyl head that is) there is an extra bump in the front right corner.

How do you post photos to the message board? I have some photos of split exhaust manifolds for the flathead 6, and a photo of a souped up 226 with dual carb intake that might be of interest.

Old 01-07-2002, 11:53 PM
johann5
Senior User

Jml – First I have to praise your web site and Rosebud. I hope to get there someday. Is Rosebud vermillion? Looks sharp.

First, about the baffle. It is attached with one bolt on the head, as you can see and under the top nut of the front motor mount. Here are some guesses as to its’ purpose. It would keep the front intake manifold warmer under cold weather conditions. It would protect the heater hose and/or the fuel line from contacting the exhaust manifold. It would shield the fuel pump from the radiant heat of the exhaust manifold, which might help prevent vapor lock in hot weather. It does provide a great tool resting place and, when removed, a great tray to store parts in. These are my primary guesses. BTW, I think the original owner took delivery just west of you in Stevenson, WA., although the 254 would have come from an F6, not an F1. I’m pretty sure my passenger side wiper is factory, which was required in Washington, Virginia and D.C.

The 254 gains the 28 ci over the 226 by means of a larger bore, 3.5” vs. 3.3”. Stroke is the same at 4.4”. Most of the auxiliary equipment is interchangeable, so I assume the center-to-center distance is also the same. I’m pretty sure my manifolds are from a 226. The head and head gasket would have to be different, I think, to match the bore. My head has 8MTH-6050-B forged on it. Both have 33 head-bolts!

I know the green color is not original. The spark plugs I just replaced were over sprayed in green, as were the hoses and belts. I shouldn’t complain, the rest of the truck is over sprayed in yellow. Hey, most of these emoticons match my truck!

My head had a few extra bumps too. Which one on the cyl head is extra?

Pictures have to be previously uploaded to the net. I think this site will allow you to do this if you ask for the space. I created a tiny web site on my ISP (AT&T broadband) and uploaded them there. Then you type that entire address (URL) into your message and they magically appear. Right click on one of my pix and look at properties for an example. They should show when you preview your message. Hint: The file name is case sensitive, so ".JPG" works but ".jpg" does not.

Johann5

Old 01-08-2002, 11:02 PM
50F2
Junior User

Johann, are you and your truck still in the pacific northwest?
Where did you find your 254 engine? Does it have the large sump oil pan? What tranny, rear end are you running?

And as for posting the pix, sounds like more work than I have time for right now, but I can email them to any interested parties, and I also have some wav files of my truck starting and driving, which are pretty cool, love that crashbox gear whine. Its actually what made me fall in love with the 51 I bought when I was fifteen back in HS.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:58 AM
edselwagon
New User

Hey everyone,
I was just searching the net for anything on flathead sixes and came across this thread. I have a '50 Ford Tudor with a 226, that I've got a dual intake and split exhaust on. I'm looking for a 254 to build up, I figure if I remove the sleeves and stroke it I can get close to 300ci. California Bill's Speed Manual has a section on hotrodding the flathead six, and shows different speed equipment. The only brand I've got is Knudsen (a dual and triple intake) but Edmunds, Cyclone, Nicson, and Ellis also made stuff for em. There are apparently two different intake dimensions between the 3 series, but I'm not sure exactly where the division is. I'd guess between the G series and the H and M series. Just something to note when looking for speed equipment. I'll see if I can post a pic of my engine. I detailed the engine compartment, changed the gaskets and painted my engine but didn't do anything internal to it. As such, it's a little overcarbureted from take-off but I noticed a big increase in the top end capabilities with the dual intake. A Pertronix for a 170-200 six cyl should fit right in the distributor, I've fitted one but have yet to run it. http://photos.netclubs.com/live/photos/photocenter/3/m/0/o/0orbitec0sm4j1iaj57naf9ppk/104-0420_IMG.JPG
http://photos.netclubs.com/live/photos/photocenter/3/m/0/o/0orbitec0sm4j1iaj57naf9ppk/104-0421_IMG.JPG

I hope the pics come out.

garrett

Old 01-09-2002, 01:27 AM
johann5
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-02 AT 02:29 AM (EST)]I bought the truck with the 254 in it. When I found out it was a 254 I asked the previous owner if he had any history. He knew nothing so I suspect he thought it was a 226. (He was more into yellow paint than into the engine.) I'm in Vancouver, WA.

It has the large oil pan, a 3 speed and I'm not too sure about the rear end. It's Ford, but has a ratio of about 2.55:1 vs. the stock which was something like 3.94:1. I can do 65 at about 2300 RPM.

Although the yellow is growing on me, any suggestions for a color? I'm thinking a red or maroon.

BTW, I found I share a birth date with Edsel. I guess I was destined to own a Ford.

Johann

Old 01-09-2002, 10:35 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-02 AT 11:37 AM (EST)]Ken gives some space for pictures on this site in your personal Gallery if you want to stick them there. You may be able to link them to the message like the above pictures but I haven't tried it.

Old 01-10-2002, 10:21 PM
50F2
Junior User

Edselwagon solved my picture posting problem with the pix he put up, they show everything I had, which incudes a shot of his engine!!
Nice looking 226, huh?

Note his front exh outlet is turned up, to clear suspension, in a truck, this isnt needed. I have a couple shots of just some split manifolds if anyone is interested.

Johann5, 65 at 2300 rpm? I think my F2 with 4.86 rear end is doing about 40 at that engine speed, maybe even slower! Of course you have the 'big block' with lots and lots of torque!

Old 01-11-2002, 06:16 AM
wosborn
Senior User

Old 11-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Anybody know of any sources for the intakes parts for the straight 6? I would like to get a head and dual carbs for the 6 cylinder

Old 11-29-2004, 02:01 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an "H" series 226 in my 51 F1, I hope to have it back on the road by the end of the year. I'm intrested in exploring some transmission options as the non-syncro unit is just too out of date for a daily driver. I was reading about adapting a C-4 to the flathead. The article said the converter stall speed really helped the Flatheads come alive. Has anyone put an automatic, or a T-5 behind a flathead. My truck has the 4:27 differential gears in it, has anyone installed a 9" rear end with the 3:50 gears behind the H series and the stock 4 speed tranny. Iif so, how much difference did the higher gearing make.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I am not sure what you are trying to figure out. If you look up an RPM calculator you can figure out what the changes will do to the RPM with various tires and rearend gears. You can even change the transmission gear ratios on some calculators.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:05 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
I was asking if anyone has installed a C-4 or a T-5 on their Flathead 6. And if so, I was wondering how they liked the combo. I feel making a trans conversion on the Flathead would probably cost me about as much as installing a late model V-8. And I'm pondering which way to go, and if the Flathead 6 is worth the hassel. I was reading a post about the C-4 installiation and how the author said the stall speed made the Flathead come alive.
As for the rearend I was also wondering if anyone had added a higher than stock ratio to get better highway crusing rpm. If someone had made this switch I was going to respond to there post as to how they liked the higher gear ratio. Sense the power range on there 6 cylinger Flathead engine is around 2200 rpm it seems to make sense to me to change the ratio. Sense I stumbled across you Flathead 6 cylinder guys I thought I would throw out these thoughts that have been nagging at me for the past year. And attempt to get some dialog going back and forth.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
50F2, I would like to hear more about the 5200 Holly carb installation, and the exhaust manifold split. Could you post, or e-mail me some pictures of the exhaust manifold split. And let me know how it worked out for you. I purchased a Flathead speed manual that talked about the exhaust split. I'm a little concerned about putting that truck on the road here in the Seattle area with these speed demons.
it still has the non-syncro 4-speed in it. I came close to getting run off the road down in Graham trying to drive it home. I'm on the fence at the moment as to weather I want to put some money into the 6 or put it towards a later V8.

Last edited by 51ford fan; 12-15-2004 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Info on flathead inline sixes