1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Info on flathead inline sixes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 03:23 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in information on the Ford flathead I6 engines (1941-1951?), both the 226 and 254 cid versions. Particularly at this time I am interested in obtaining photographs of the motor and what is the inatke and exhaust port and manifold configurations. I suspect there were some siameezed ports/manifold runners.

Also, I understand the only other flathead I6 Ford ever made was in 1908. Anybody know the basic stats on that engine?

Old 12-08-2001, 01:09 AM
johann5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 254 6 in my '49 F1 and am interested if anyone else out there is running one. There seems to be a big following for flathead V8's but not much of one for the 6's. If my 254 was from a truck, it would have been an F6. Does anyone know if the used the 254 in passenger cars? I thought this might be the case because I found a few 254 parts listed under the Ford "Big" car on one web site.

I have no photos at this time, but when the weather clears I could probably come up with a few. Here's the little I know about manifolds. When I bought my truck it has a carb from a 215 or 223 ohv engine. I was able to find a carb for a 254 but discovered the studs on the manifold were 0.25" too close, so I had to do a little machining on the carb to make it fit. My manifold is definitely not from a 215 or 223. From this I surmise I have a manifold set from a 226. The engine port layout must be identical between a 226 and a 254, but the carb end has different bolt centers between them. There are numerous parts that are the same for the 226 and 254.

Hope this helps.
Johann

Old 12-10-2001, 11:18 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Post Info on flathead inline sixes

Thanks,

I am not running a flathead six, but dream of it. I would prefer a 254 as my research indicates that came with a syncromesh tranny, though only in heavy trucks like F5, F6. Besides, the 254 has more power. I did a lot of research. Mayby this will be of interest to you:

I don't think the 254 was used in passenger cars. Yesterday I was at the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village bookstore and browsed a '49, 50, 51 passenger car shop manual. It had a nice section on the 226 I6 (appears to be detailed info on rebuilding the engine), but I saw no mention of the 254.

Interesting that my research indicates (and this would need to be verified) that the H series, which was late 40s thru 51 and had both 226 and 254 (I believe same block) had beefier bearings. My notes show (approximate) the G motor (1941 thru late 40s) having 2.5" main journals and 2.25 rod journals, whereas the H motor is 2.87 main and 2.30 rod. I suspect if this is true it was to accomodate the larger 254 and heavy duty truck use.

The passenger car manual showed three manfold gaskets, front, middle, and rear. the exhaust has six separate ports, but the intake only four ports with the 1-2 and 5-6 siameezed.

I found some info, photos, and diagrams for all Ford inline sixes including the flatheads on a website: http://www.geocities.com/edwins63/I6ID

I'm still interested in any photos as those on the website are not that good.

Thanks, Paul

Old 12-10-2001, 01:26 PM
adbecker
Freshman User

Here is a picture of a '51 H-Series flathead showing the manifold on the engine: http://home.rconnect.com/~51fordf2/images/engine_2sm.jpg
(Sorry about the heat shield and battery tray blocking some of the view )
Here is the manifold assembly removed showing the surfaces that attach to the block:
http://home.rconnect.com/~51fordf2/images/manifold.jpg
You can see that there are six exhaust ports but only four intake ports. I also have some other engine photos [link:home.rconnect.com/~51fordf2|on my site.]

No, I didn't take the manifold off; it's an extra. If someone wants it, contact me.

The truck shop manual (available as a reprint) shows the same gasket set (Part # 1GA-9433) for both the H and M engines. Like the car (which used the H) it's three pieces: front, center, and rear. However, I think the manifolds are a little different and may not interchange. The shop manual implies the carbs are the same but it may really mean that the carbs are the same design but not interchangeable.

Tony
F2H1SP24002

Old 12-10-2001, 01:53 PM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Post Info on flathead inline sixes

Thanks Tony,

Great website. Love your FAQs for owners of similar vehicles. ROTFL.

Love the flathead's simplicity. Also gear driven camshaft and lots of low end torque. Max torque at 1200 rpm.

Paul

Old 12-10-2001, 05:58 PM
DonF
Junior User

My H series flat head (226 I assume) also has a one single holley that I had always assumed was from a later Ford 215 or 223 over OHV six. I'm beginning to wonder, however, if some of these H and M series engines might not have had the latter model holley carb.

My truck is a 49 F1 but I don't believe the engine is original There is a plate on my engine that identifies the engine as "Ford Industrial". It is on the front left, just under the head. The other thing that is different is that the cam gear housing and cover is extended on the right well past the cam gear and fuel pump. On the front and to the right of the cam gear cover (the extended part) there is a hole that looks like a place to mount a hydraulic pump that would drive off of the cam gear. What ever was there is long gone and the hole is now covered with a home made plate. Mysterious engines.

Old 12-11-2001, 06:28 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend

According to the website I gave above the G series is '41-47, the H series is '48-51. Both are 226 cid. The 254 was the M series, which may not have appeared until '50.

BTW, I saw a book last night that has a nice full page photograph of the flathead I6, presumably the 226. If anyone is interested, the book is "Classic Ford-F-Series Pickup Trucks 1948-1956," by Don Bunn ($24). Even without the engine photo, it is a nice book and has some id codes in the back that may help tell who has what engine.

Old 12-20-2001, 09:44 PM
50F2
Junior User

The Ford Flathead 6 is a terrific old engine. I have a 226 in my F2, and I have converted the Holley 847 1bbl, to a Holley/Weber model 5200 progressive 2 bbl. Hopefully over the Xmas holiday period I will be able to pull my manifolds and have the exhaust split.
The H series has the side mount distributor, wheras the G series has the 'crab type' distributor in the front of the engine. The 254 has a 3.5 inch bore vs 3.3 for the 226. The 254 was used in F-6 and F-600s from 1950-1954, and was derived from an engine used in the Ford transit bus in the 40s. 254s are the hot ticket for hopping up your Ford flattie 6. Some speed parts are available for the engine, the most common are 2 carb manifolds. No headers were made, but the exh is relatively easy to split, I have some jpg photos if anyone is interested. I have been in contact with a few other guys who have hopped up their 226s also.
Nick

Old 12-20-2001, 10:53 PM
50F2
Junior User

Oh one other thing, the intake ports are not siamesed in the block itself, the intake manifold has siamesed runners on the inner pairs of cyls, but the block has six intake ports, and six exh ports.

Old 12-21-2001, 11:26 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend

Thanks Nick, Great info. I just determined siameezed from the few photos I could get at. So it is possible (though maybe not practicable) to actually have six separate intake runners on a custom manifold. Regardless, the siameezed is likely not a big problem unless there is an awful lot of valve overlap. Splitting the exhaust manifold is a great idea.

I wonder what would happen if you split the exhaust and put an intake setup like the EFI 300 I6 has and then fuel inject the flathead and add electronic ignition. Maybe I am off in space, but I really think modern tech could make a flathead engine that would work in today's trucks. Just think, a SuperDuty style truck with a 300 cid flathead. Perhaps a modest supercharger too!

Old 12-22-2001, 03:56 PM
tcw
Junior User

i have been playing around with the same ideas. i'm building a 254 for an 51 F5 truck. i've got a fuel injection system planned and have been playing with the idea of a mild turbo [ 3-5 lbs boost ] i'm afraid that the rods are not strong enough. the standard compression
of 6.8 would be just right for a turbo or supercharger. i have an electronic ignition system planned also. if i leave it as a natural i need to figure how much to mill off the head. any thoughts?
tcw

Old 12-22-2001, 08:05 PM
jml
Senior User

I have a 48 226.....great motor, purrs like a cat. Send me your email and I will send some pictures of my motor. Just go done painting it and sprucing up the interior compartment. The truck was recently completed so am proud of it....thanks joim

jimlehmann@altavista.com

Old 12-23-2001, 01:51 AM
50F2
Junior User

Dont forget about the hi-comp aluminum head option, they are rare, but available if you look long and hard enough and have enough cash.
Pertronix and Crane have electronic ignitions that are adaptable to the 226/254. There is a fellow on the Inliners B-board who is working on F-I for a Mopar flathead six, should be adaptable to the Ford. Also, there is a website by a guy who is doing a lo-buck diy turbo on Studebaker Flathead 6. I have the link somewhere, I will post it when I can find it. Also, cams can be reground for these engines, for more mid-hi end powere, but in a truck, especially with the awesome sounding 4 speed crashbox, who needs rpm??

Nick

Old 12-23-2001, 02:24 AM
50F2
Junior User

http://www.cancermn.net/TS/TURBO.html

Is the link to the turbo-stude. Pretty cool stuff!!

Old 12-31-2001, 07:46 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend

>BTW, I saw a book last night that has a nice full page
>photograph of the flathead I6, presumably the 226. If
>anyone is interested, the book is "Classic Ford-F-Series
>Pickup Trucks 1948-1956," by Don Bunn ($24

Correction, the engine photo is only half page.

Quick Reply: Info on flathead inline sixes