Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Code Scanner Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Wheatina
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code Scanner Recommendations

Thinking about getting a code scanner. Have a few different vehicle brands; Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Subaru are the main ones. Is there a reasonably priced good code scanner that will cover both domestic and foreign, or do you have to buy two different ones??

Posting this in the 7.3L forum mainly because I'm most interested in the 7.3L Ford trucks to scan...have 3 of them. Would be nice to have one that can scan the other brands as well, though.
Thanks!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get Autoenginuity. Runs on a laptop or pda, and you can retrieve codes as well as run diagnostics. There are bundles available for different manufacturers, or you can get the whole thing. ITP has them: http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

Old 12-07-2006, 05:21 PM
bloomy63
Senior User
I agree with Pocket, get autoenginuity.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Wheatina
Senior User
Thanks for the quick replies!!!! But...do I need the extra "Ford Bundle" or am I in pretty good general shape with just the standard OBDII OBD2 Windows Scan Tool Scanner w/CAN?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
bloomy63
Senior User
you will need the ford bundle to read the codes for our diesels.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Wheatina
Senior User
:-x22 Thanx!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ITP Diesel has a forum section also, there is alot of good info and help on using AE.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Wheatina
Senior User
Okay...bare with me...still researching and evaluating. What about the SnapOn Solus scantool??? Is there an advantage to the AutoEnginuity over SnapOn's version?? CHOKE...CHOKE...other than the huge price difference...

Last edited by Wheatina; 12-07-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Solus is a self contained unit, Some functions are a little harder to read and get used to.
AE will need a laptop or PDA but is much much more intuitive to learn to use, and the screen on the laptop is easier to read than the solus.

I looked at Snapon, NGS+, AutoEnginuity, Ease, and one other I cant remember the name. AE was far and above the best bang for the buck. The only thing I cant do with AE is reprogram the speedo calibration and that takes the Ford NGS+

Old 12-07-2006, 11:14 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
I did a fair amount of searching before i bought mine and after alot of reading ended up with autoenginuity for the same reasons as everyone already stated. I love it. I am still learning how to use all the features it has to offer. You will need the enhanced ford version to get the codes for the 7.3 that are outside the normal obdII codes. I don't know about the other vehicles you mentioned, it will read the normal obdII codes but i don't know if those vehicles need the manufacturer specific packages as well. I believe i read that the duramaif thats what you meant by chevy) will need the enhanced package just like the powerstroke needs it to get certian codes. Itpdiesel.com has the best prices and great customer service. Dennis is great to deal with and like mentioned above they have a forum to answer any questions and dennis or alan usually get back to you pretty quick.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Wheatina
Senior User
Okay...I'm convinced. I would guess you pretty much pay for the AE the first time you can avoid a trip to Ford for a diagnosis and repair, so it looks like a good value. Already have the laptop. We have 3 PSD 7.6Ls, so this should be a really good tool to have around.

Thanks Again Everybody!!! This group is amazing!!