6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Question for the Tuner Program Writers out there

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 AM
n6nfg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for the Tuner Program Writers out there

I have read here that tuners with multiple settings typically have at least 3 choices, tow safe, economy, and performance (or something resembling these three types). I have also read that the best MPG gains are typically had at the higher (highest?) settings of performance (as long as you keep your foot out them). Something about the fuel burn efficiency being better at the higher performance settings.

Can someone explain to me why the MPG gains at the higher settings cannot be available at the tow safe (lower) settings? Seems like if your foot wasn't into the throttle, you should be able to have the benefit of higher MPG tuning, which could be matched with performance limits during heavier throttle to keep the tow safe still a reality.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Talking

It was explained to me that the tow programs develop TQ and uses more of the power for that vs. the performance programs develope more HP and IF YOU DON"T PUT YOUR FOOT IN IT, meaning staying south of 2,000 or 2,100 rpm, it will provide better MPG.

It is really all about how you drive it but the performance program is efficent and rewards for non aggresive driving habits.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Enomra
Elder User
I think this is a great question. If they could write a safe as stock program that would increase fuel efficiency (even at a lower power rating) for general driving I for one would be interested and I am sure others would also. I hear people all the time state I put the programmer on for MPG reasons not for the power increase and in some cases that may very well be the case.....

Old 12-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow

I am from the school of liking to have options. I don't typically drag my F250 around town. There are times I like to have the get up and go and do use it. Like when some dick refuses to let you merge on the on ramp to the hwy or when passing on 2 lane roads. (maybe once in a while when another brand seems like they have the power when they don't).

IMO, the programming options are nice as well so you have more of what you want when you want it. Stock towing is good but tuned towing is better I think. You can ask to have a custom tune for the driving you like as the programmers can do pretty much anything, you just need to ask about it up front.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by n6nfg
I have read here that tuners with multiple settings typically have at least 3 choices, tow safe, economy, and performance (or something resembling these three types). I have also read that the best MPG gains are typically had at the higher (highest?) settings of performance (as long as you keep your foot out them). Something about the fuel burn efficiency being better at the higher performance settings.

Can someone explain to me why the MPG gains at the higher settings cannot be available at the tow safe (lower) settings? Seems like if your foot wasn't into the throttle, you should be able to have the benefit of higher MPG tuning, which could be matched with performance limits during heavier throttle to keep the tow safe still a reality.

Search my posts (over the last 3 years, lol).

I've answered this in depth, but in short, the higher HP programs make more power available with less calculated engine load, as long as you dont step on it all the time. (Speaking of the Superchips Inc tuning only, which is what I did for several years)

It's just a phenomena associated with the injection timing, fuel and boost changes. It's more aggessive on the Performance program, so to the disciplined foot, it's often the most fuel efficient program too.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:08 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vic_Ferrari
It's just a phenomena associated with the injection timing, fuel and boost changes. It's more aggessive on the Performance program, so to the disciplined foot, it's often the most fuel efficient program too.
I think Jim's got this one covered pretty well.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
I think Jim's got this one covered pretty well.
Matt!

When did you start working for LIPD???!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Matt!

When did you start working for LIPD???!!!
A little while ago.

Jeremy is moving down here in January and we are opening up shop together.

Custom tuning, custom engine building (dry sumps for the 6.0, ect), among other things. Hopefully looking for a dyno, and my engine test stand is almost done

You've got the number, give me a ring when you get time.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:43 PM
juniorf350
Senior User
looks like i will be calling you for some tunes.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:03 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by juniorf350
looks like i will be calling you for some tunes.
You've got the number

Old 12-07-2006, 08:15 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
so matt ( sorry dont know you personaly), what would you recomend for a tuner that would be for a guy with a f350 sc 6.0 4x4, that doesent tow to often , hardly at all but wnts to see better mileage and a little more power , for when you need it, i already have a mbrp cool duals system and would love to pump up my truck , but dont want to worry about twisting my head gaskets....

Old 12-07-2006, 10:58 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by slowmans
so matt ( sorry dont know you personaly), what would you recomend for a tuner that would be for a guy with a f350 sc 6.0 4x4, that doesent tow to often , hardly at all but wnts to see better mileage and a little more power , for when you need it, i already have a mbrp cool duals system and would love to pump up my truck , but dont want to worry about twisting my head gaskets....
Jeremy or I can take care of that, just give one of us a call. Contact info is in my signature; feel free to PM me if you like.

We've got some street/econo tunes with low peak injection timing and mild boost that should fit your need well.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 AM
n6nfg
Senior User
Search my posts (over the last 3 years, lol).

I've answered this in depth, but in short, the higher HP programs make more power available with less calculated engine load, as long as you dont step on it all the time. (Speaking of the Superchips Inc tuning only, which is what I did for several years)

What you are saying makes sense, but I still can't help but wonder why the characteristics of the high performance settings can't be applied to the first 1/3 or so of throttle position, and the tow safe characteristics couldn't be applied to the last 2/3 of throttle position. Or maybe it would be the two different characteristics could be implemented based on %engine loading instead of throttle position.

Is there no way to mix the two?? It would make lots of people happy

Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by n6nfg
What you are saying makes sense, but I still can't help but wonder why the characteristics of the high performance settings can't be applied to the first 1/3 or so of throttle position, and the tow safe characteristics couldn't be applied to the last 2/3 of throttle position. Or maybe it would be the two different characteristics could be implemented based on %engine loading instead of throttle position.

Is there no way to mix the two?? It would make lots of people happy
If only it were that simple.
T/P is only one of many many variables.

Nearly everything runs on a curve, fuel, injection timing....and the Y axis can be anything from Calc engine load to throttle position to desired fuel, etc...

Injection timing is also a strange animal, and even the rate it increases throughout the entire curve affects power everywhere.

The fueling at heavy throttle could be lessened, but this will still affect power levels everywhere and usually translate into more calc engine load at cruise.

I'm sure, through months of R&D fuel mileage could be maximized if that was the main goal, but in general, with these tuners, power is the main goal.

Mileage is simply a benefit and is factored in when the truck is tuned.

In short. The driver needs to learn discipline.
If they want max power, step on it, if you want the best mileage, don't!

To gain power and mileage at the same time is almost like a deal with the Devil....too good to be true.

Luckily, it is true in most cases =o)

Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Enomra
Elder User
As always thank you Vic for your educated posts, "you da man"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Question for the Tuner Program Writers out there