1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress, for a change!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:07 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress, for a change!

I finally am making some progress. I put the 69 bronco back together due to the fact I sold it to put the money towards my 51 Ford F6 and the 52 Ford F6 Cab Over I recently purchased. I moved the bronco out of my new garage and into the smaller old garage to make room for the Cab Over. I hooked up my 4 wheel drive ranger and pulled the Cab Over up my alley which has a hill and let it drift back towards the garage door. Guess what it did not drift. We were able to push it closer though. I hooked up a long chain and my trusty come along and began to pull it into the garage. The cement garage floor is about 5 inches higher than the approach. I plan on cementing that next year so the pull was difficult at the point of the wheels going up and over the garage floor. Finally the truck was in. I am glad I made the garage big, but now wish it was twice the size. It is already 26 X 36 with plenty of room. I still wish I would have made it 40 X 40 but it get to be to expensive. Since I am limited on my tool supply due to the fact some one kicked in my garage door took my tool sets, I decided to cleand and sand my oil pan. I painted it deep red, this is the color the chart says the engine should be. I also sanded and painted the oil filter, exhaust manifolds, and the exhaust manifold cover. I painted these black. After that I decided to use a putty knife to scrape all the dirt and oil off of the transmission. It was heavily covered. I spend an hour cleaning the transmission. I sprayed it with engine cleaner and will pressure wash it tomorrow and get it ready for paint. It looks like my engine won't be finished until after the new year, so I have to finish everything else I can. Now that high school football season is over I will finally make some steady progress. I want to take the truck to the super national may 17-20th. I will post some new pics tomorrow. My camera battery was dead. Hope all is well with everyone.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
Feels good to be getting somewhere, doesn't it? Keep going and it'll soon be 'done'. (I use the term loosely, I don't think they're EVER done.)

Old 12-05-2006, 10:21 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
I agree, I always want to do something else to it. Once I get something done, I come up with something else that "needs" done. I want it right, so I keep on going. I love working on these old trucks. This was probably the best day I've had in months.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:23 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Your right, once something is done, I find something else that *needs* done. I love working on my big old truck though. This was probably the most enjoyable day I have had in months.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Your right, once something is done, I find something else that needs done. I love working on my big old truck though. This was probably the most enjoyable day I have had in months.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:56 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ksmith203
Since I am limited on my tool supply due to the fact some one kicked in my garage door took my tool sets
I can feel your pain on this one, I lost all of my tools in a shop breakin back in 85. I went to the shop to change the oil in my mother's car and couldn't find enough tools to do it. They took over $100K in tools and shop equipment. My final tally was somewhere around $15K, and they didn't even get my boxes.The shop had no insurance. If it were to happen today, there would be one less mechanic in the business, I wouldn't try to replace them again. I probably have well in excess of $50K invested now, plus my service truck.
Jeff

Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it home and in the garage and were able to make some progress.

Bobby

Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 AM
DonMckay
Senior User
Great to hear that you made some progress on the beast. It does feel good to achieve some stuff. It makes you want to continue and git-R-dun. Now you just need to post some pics.
Don

Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
I'm putting in bills and paying some personal ones at the restaurant right now. I plan on being in the garage by 1:00 though. Sorry about the double or triple posts, it did not put them up so I entered the post again, now all or the sudden there are three.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kevin--you posted 3 times cause you were 3 times as happy to get so much accomplished.Nationals--here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 06:15 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
NO doubt about it. I degreased the transmission today, 55 years of crud, oil, and dirt turned into cement. I used a putty knife for over an hour to get the most of it off. I then drenched it in degreaser. After letting it sit for awhile, I took the pressure washer to it. The most of it came off. The next step was to take my drill and a wire wheel to it to finish it up. I will wash it down in prepsol and paint it on Saturday. I took the emergency brake off and I have it soaking. One more step closer to Nationals.
Walford's 56 let me know when your going, maybe we can get a convoy from Ohio heading down to Nationals... Whet a site that would be a bunch of old Fords heading south!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:06 PM
create
Senior User
Originally Posted by ksmith203
NO doubt about it. I degreased the transmission today, 55 years of crud, oil, and dirt turned into cement. I used a putty knife for over an hour to get the most of it off. I then drenched it in degreaser. After letting it sit for awhile, I took the pressure washer to it. The most of it came off. The next step was to take my drill and a wire wheel to it to finish it up. I will wash it down in prepsol and paint it on Saturday. I took the emergency brake off and I have it soaking. One more step closer to Nationals.
Walford's 56 let me know when your going, maybe we can get a convoy from Ohio heading down to Nationals... Whet a site that would be a bunch of old Fords heading south!

that is the worst job ever.. I had a c6 that i totally cleaned (mediablasted) and painted. It took forever to get it perfect. Then I found out I wouldnt be able to use it as my brother owned it and needed it back... So, i had to do the whole thing over on a c4 which is now in my truck.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:11 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
It seemed like I never was going to get done. I know what your saying. I noticed your brother waited for you to get it finished before needing it back. I feel for you after doing mine today. Its a greasy dirty job with lots of clean up afterwards. But I think it will look great once painted and in the truck.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:55 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Well I did not leave the restaurant until after 3:00 pm so I was behind from the beginning. Once I got out I went to harbor tools and purchased a pressurized sand blaster. It was on sale for $79.00 instead of $129.00 it was the second one I bought now. The last one must have went with my tools. I also bought some new quick connect air fittings because the ones on my hoses are not the same as on my air tools. My final purchase was a 50 box of glass bead for the sandblaster. Before I left for habor tools I turned on my torpedo heat w/thermostat to get the garage a litte warmer for when I got home. I want to install an electric heater soon. Probably one of the ones that hang from the ceiling. I just don't know which to use. I don't have gas to the garage. Before starting on the truck I cleaned out a 36 inch media blast cabinet that I have had for over a year. I never used on before so I thought it probably would not work that well. I only paid $50.00 for it at a car dealership which was auctioned off. Boy was I wrong. I started blasting all the floor coverings for the pedal and shifter plates. It worked great. I was able to paint them as soon as they came out with some rustoleum paint. I should have put that baby together a long time ago. Once done with that I put together a roll around seat I bought a year ago at harbor tools. Nice to have a place to sit down while working on the parts. Finally I got to the tranny. I wiped it down with prepsol and painted it deep red. It was not totally grime free, but mine is not going to be a trailer queen so it did not matter. It looks pretty good. I would have posted pic, but the batter I though was dead, was actually missing so I had to order another. Progress was good for a saturdau evening. What have you got done on your trucks?

Kevin

Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Kevin,

Wow, you've been quite industrious. It sure feels good when things are movin galong doesn't it?

I've had pretty good luck also. Friday night I managed to finish my other custom tailgate spring pin latch. On saturday I installed them both...woohooo. I am very pleased with how it all came out.

Keep up the good work
Bobby