Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:14 AM
truckhound
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Squeal

Ok I figured as long as I was asking for help here is another one. I live in Michigan and bought a '90 f150 xtl 4x4 during the summer. I did not try the 4 wheel to see if it worked. I know that was my first mistake. Recenly with the snow here in Michigan I thought that I would give it a try. When I lock in the hubs and drive I get a very loud squeal from the front end. I did not put it in 4 wheel because I did not know what was wrong and I did not want to do any more damage by putting torque through the front drivetrain. My question is what could this be? I have not taken the hubs apart to check anything, no garage and too stinking cold. I have taken hubs apart before so that would not be a problem but could it be in the transfercase? I could not tell where it was comming from. Since I have to do somthing with the front end anyway, see my wearing out tires post, I thought that I could take care of everything at once. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 973 Likes on 768 Posts
It's could be the U-joints in the front axle. These need replacing on a regular basis, I find even with greasable joints that are greased regularly they still tend to dry up in a a few years. You'll need to completely disassemble the front axle to do all 3, plus there are 2 more in the front driveshaft so it's not a 5 minute job. Your front tire wear is likely due to sagged front springs and it likely needs a wheel alignment. If this truck was ever used for plowing then the springs are done, these 1/2 tons are not built to carry a plow.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:50 AM
truckhound
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know of it was not used for plowing but I never asked, mistake number two. I figured it was possibley the u-joints but I have had dry ones on previous trucks and they never squealed. I guess I will start there, it will not hurt to replace them all. I am planning on a suspension lift in the summer so that will take care of the sag in the front. I'm sure it does need an alignment and I will try that first to see if it helps some. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:40 PM
alz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you have manual locking hubs, you may want to lift the front end, and lock each one independently. Then turn the locked wheel to see where the squeal is coming from. Left or right axle shaft joint or from driveshaft? Maybe save yourself some work until the weather warms a little. I'm in MI also. North of Ann Arbor.

Al