1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I put my 37" Spare Tire ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
4x06
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I put my 37" Spare Tire ???

I am running on 37" and it's time to consider replacing my stock spare tire for I wouldn't want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere and I really don't think I'll be able to drive on just one stock tire....but I hate to waste my bed space with a over-sized spare...any suggestions ??? Anyone, tried to move their tow/hitch bracket outward to fit a bigger tire under the bed ???

Old 11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
There was fair amount of discussion in this thread regarding your subject. If that doesn't answer your question possibly someone else will post up another solution for you.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:52 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to waste my bed space as well. . .But that's what I do when I'm not in town (in town I leave it at home). Another option is a TireGate (http://tiregate.com/). I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I like the way it looks though. I thought about trying to move the trailer hitch, but that's one of those things that I'd rather not do for safety reasons. Not that I know it would be unsafe, I'm just erring on the side of caution, since I really don't know what the effects would be.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Customz
Postmaster
I'd leave the hitch alone. You'll load up the back half of the frame too much and it will adversely affect the handling and probably tweak the truck. The tiregate is the must functional item on the market for this dilemma, but I am unsure about the look.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:32 AM
bigskymt
Senior User
What do you guys think of this, I just purchased the flat mount spare tire carrier:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/p...are+Tire+Mount

I removed one of the rear tie down brackets and drilled holes and mounted a 6" piece of 2x4 in it, and then took a longer piece of the 2x4 and ran it parallel to the bed towards the cab, I then mounted the tire mount and mounted my tire that way.

Now.. it is extremely weak and there is no way it will hold, I just wanted to get a template of it. Now I want to take it to somebody that knows how to weld and have him weld me up the same thing in metal. I will probably have him weld some sort of triangle shaped mount or something with some braces in the middle for strength.

I think it will be nice and fairly inexpensive, with the added benefit of not having to drill any holes in the bed. I will probably get it powder coated as well.

If it works I will post some pics. Just need to find a welder.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow Keep on dreaming . . .

If you run that big a tire and want a spare there is only the bed to throw it in (or the back seat if it's a CC). It is too dam big to fit anywhere else . . .

Old 11-30-2006, 11:07 AM
travis dasher
Senior User
Tire gate seems to be the best option if you still need/want bed space. As far as the looks of it goes IMO it looks 10x's better than the prerunner tire carrier that mounts in the bed. I personally like the look and function of the tire gate. all depends on what you want. Hope this helps

Last edited by travis dasher; 11-30-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Customz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by travis dasher
Tire gate seems to be the best option if you still need/want bed space. As far as the looks of it goes IMO it looks 10x's better than the prerunner tire carrier that mounts in the bed. I personally like the look and function of the tire gate.
I agree. I have a feeling i'll end up with a tire gate. I like turned in prerunner look the best, but not as much as the bed space.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
There is the option of a bumper swing out mount, but I doubt you could do it to the stock bumper. You would need a heavy duty bumper to mount that to similar to this:

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 AM
travis dasher
Senior User
I have seen a larger spare tire placed up against the cab of the bed and a ratchet strap holding it up. Doesn't look bad, and still gives you plenty of bed space

Old 12-07-2006, 07:15 PM
USCG Auxiliary
New User
Originally Posted by Ronin007
There is the option of a bumper swing out mount, but I doubt you could do it to the stock bumper. You would need a heavy duty bumper to mount that to similar to this:
What did you use as a hub or pinion? Was this a kit? If you designed it would you elaborate please?

I own a Tiregate prerunner style and it does look amazing, however, I need to run my spare vertically due to some work issues

Old 12-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by USCG Auxiliary
What did you use as a hub or pinion? Was this a kit? If you designed it would you elaborate please?

I own a Tiregate prerunner style and it does look amazing, however, I need to run my spare vertically due to some work issues
You would need an heavier duty rear bumper than our stock bumper to start with in order to do a swing out bumper mount. The picture that I attached is the Road Armor bumper. Some guys in some of the off road clubs I belong to have made their bumpers with a swing out bumper mount using a either a trailer or wheel spindle. I was going to make one for my Range Rover, but never got around to doing it.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:11 PM
PHWLEE
Posting Guru
Anyone thought about a safari type roof rack with the spare in there? Might not give you the look you want, or take the look away from what you already have, but the roof is wasted space mostly.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Paul - as I had posted in this thread the issues with putting a big tire up on a roof rack is it raises your COG so high that when you do off camber stuff off road it makes your vehicle really tippy. The other issue is it is a real PITA to get the tire up and down from there. I agree with you it is just wasted space, but there are a few things to consider before you just throw a tire up there.

BTW, you should join the NY Chapter. Several members around where you live. Just click the link under my name for directions. Hope to see you there!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Talking Huh???

I thought they put them on the hood when they went on safari . . . cause they cut the roof out for the tourist to look out of and take pics?

Quick Reply: Where can I put my 37" Spare Tire ???