Sponsored by: Moser

Plan of attack

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:26 PM
ellsdemon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plan of attack

I have just bought a 73 Explorer with a 302 and with three on the tree. What I am asking is, does anyone have a plan of attack on fixing it back up. Should I do engine, brakes, trans, rust...etc. or something like brakes, engine, trans,...etc. I want to get this truck in top shape and i'm just wondering what I should attack first before I move on to the next thing and wanted to know if anyone else had good attack plans out there. Thanks
Jason

Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Depends on your budget, time to spend on the truck and what you are wanting to do with the truck. If you are wanting to restore the truck and have alot of time and a good budget, than start tearing down the truck keeping track of all parts, label parts bolts, take pictures, etc until you get down the the bare chassis and then start fixing what needs to be fixed.

On the other hand, if this truck is your daily driver and really are pushed for time and money, than I would start with the mechanical side like brakes and drivetrain first. Then move on to the engine. Get it running well, than move on to the body. Also, when it comes to the body, how bad is the rust? Are you going to have to tear down the truck anyway? or just a little here and there. There are many factors to take in consideration when fixing up a truck. Time certainly is an issue. Good luck with your project.

Welcome to the site.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:11 PM
ellsdemon
New User
No major rust, it is kind of a daily driver but I can live without it for a couple of weeks if I had to. I was not planning on stripping it down, the truck body is it great shape and the engine is ok. I was trying to get a idea on what people thought was the most important area to attack first. I was leaning towards brakes as well.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
Brakes, steering, and suspension should be first IMO.... Once you can run it on the road SAFELY and not endanger yourself and others then making it go fast and look pretty can be done whenever....

Old 11-27-2006, 05:53 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 462 Likes on 337 Posts
Unless you know the person you bought it from really well, you should take a look at all the regular mainenence items. Fluids and lube are a good place to start. Take a gander at the brakes as well, since you'll be able to inspect a good number of the wear points by doing this.

Enjoy the truck.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Daplumma
Senior User
I will echo what the others say.Drive it a bit and fix the brakes and suspension as needed.The motor and drivetrain,then the body.If you have non power steering and brakes and want to up grade them I would recommend that be done before the body work.Drive it some more and then fix the rust.
Joe