Sponsored by: Moser

Column to floor shift ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:28 PM
PITMAN_MM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Column to floor shift ??

I just picked up a 73 F-250 with a 360/3 speed and the three on the tree shifter and linkage is totaly shot. I am installing a Hurst universal 3 speed shifter and have a question for you all. I have all the brackets bolted up to the tranny and it looks like the stick will barely make it through the hole in the floor pan, you know where the tranny hump unbolts from the rest of the floor. So maybe I did something wrong or is that the way they line up? What about a boot to cover the goofy hole I need to cut if that is the way they come out? Any and all advice I thank you for. P.S. Just found this site and it ROCKS!!

Old 11-25-2006, 05:49 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
What do you mean stick will barely make it through hole? Maybe hole is not big enough. My universal shifter came with a boot. I got rid of my universal shifter and bought a hurst specific for truck. You can get a boot from pep boys or autozone though. i had to make a pretty big hole for my universal shifter and when i put my good shifter in i had to buy an oversized boot to cover hole.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:19 PM
PITMAN_MM
New User
I mean that the stick is so far over to the drivers side that it rubs against the floor. I havent cut the hole in the tranny hump yet. it is still off the truck. I just thought that the stick should come up more centered with the hole left in the floorboard when you remove the trans hump. Hope that makes sense, I am not sure how to describe what I am saying exactly.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:05 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
Have you adjusted brackets to try and center shifter a bit more. I remember cutting mine to apoint where i cut over the part where it curves down in hump. My shifter boot bends over side to cover hole. I'll take a picture tomorrow when it is light outside.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:14 PM
PITMAN_MM
New User
Thanx alot a picture would be a big help. Sounds like you had to do exactly what I was thinking by cutting down into the area where the trans hump curves down.

Old 11-26-2006, 02:37 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
Here is a picture with good hurst shifter installed and how boot had to cover side where I cut down for universal shifter. Truck had universal indy shifter before i owned truck with a butchered hole. I had to make hole even bigger for Mr. Gasket universal shifter. By the time I got good sihfter hole was pretty big. I needed a large boot to hide hole. Hole follows curve in hump my to right above where screws are on the side.