kb pistons and hbeam rods

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:28 AM
backwoodspuller
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kb pistons and hbeam rods

i am putting together a stock pulling motor just a low cost fun build and i picked up a set of kb part # 401 dome hypers and i was gonna use a set of old hbeams i have laying around and WTF? the rod wont work the piston must only be desigened for ibeams now what to do mill the piston to get the hbeams to fit? or mill the rod? or is the best bet to buy a new set of sir i beams and not dop any milling ?

Old 11-25-2006, 12:20 PM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just buy a new set of I beams. You can get them for about $125 now.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:32 PM
backwoodspuller
Senior User
true but i orders the pistons for floater rods i kinda wanted to get away from press fit i have some trouble with the last press fit i did so i am kida leary about them

Old 11-26-2006, 09:51 AM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Why won't the rod fit? Does it hit the underneath side of the piston?

Old 11-26-2006, 10:30 AM
backwoodspuller
Senior User
the hbeam is 2 wide at the top the kb piston and i have looked at other kb pistons seems like they are only made for ibeams i never had a proublem like this befor but i will say this is the last time i deal with kb's it is a dumb design in my opion every hbeam i have seen is a bit wider and the kb's are to narrow the fit the rod a i beam fits just fine it suxs case i dont know if i should mill the rods or the pistrons but i dont wanna cut into eather and sacrafice and stringht

Old 11-26-2006, 07:45 PM
greenhighboy
Elder User
That does suck! Sounds like a BAD design. Can you return the KB's and get a set of SealedPower domes?

Last edited by greenhighboy; 11-26-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
backwoodspuller
Senior User
well i bought the set from a seller on ebay that was selling a bunch of set's and is no longer on ebay and of course i cant find the number so i dont know how to return them i found a set of sir rods cheap so i think that is what i am gonna do a frend of mine has a set of kb's that are 6 yrs old and same dang thing i my personal opion is what a horse poop design like i said that is the last set i buy

Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 AM
darrin1999
Posting Guru
i wouldnt have even bothered with hyper pistons... i dont like the idea of a piston that can shatter... id either go forged for performance or stock cast for price

Old 11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
backwoodspuller
Senior User
alot of ppl say that but honestly i havent had any proublems with hypers i got a frend that run's hypers and hit 8000 rpm's + but i am waiting for that motor to go snap boom but like i said it is a cheap build up for a stock pulling truck in my mod i run forged srp's but the stock motor most likley wont see over 6000 rpm's in stock class you have to run factory heads intake and manafolds and carb so i think hypers will work fine i just bought a set of sir rods and called it good but still not happy with the kb design