Old 11-24-2006, 11:46 PM
slpin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought a 99 psd!

i just got one
it is such a nice truck!
i got a few questions, mainly about maintainence

what do i do? i want it to last half a million miles.

also, is there a water/fuel seperator like on the old cummins? where is it? how do i empty it?

Old 11-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Yes, fuel/water drain valve is at the back of the filter bowl on top of the engine valley in the front. Small lever, 90* turn and it drains out the front side of the block via a stupid tube that you ought to put a hose on so you can direct it into a suitible container. As for common mods, you can do a search here or it is conveniently compiled at 7point3.com. Maintenance items are covered on the main home page.

Congrats on the ride.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:11 AM
spunks00
Senior User
They are fun arnt they.. i have had mine just a little over a month. I feels so big and the power is awsome (i had a 6.2L Diesel before) so it is a big step up. what cab did you get and is it stock or lifted or tuned in any way that you know of. mine was a old work truck body damage, no chrome, no power options, or chrome, soon it will be a new beast. good luck and i have learned alot form these guys, and am glad i waited on what seemed to be good tuner for cheap they can be IMO a wasted stepfor some truck owner that end up thowing them away.
anyways congrats and enjoy

A guys page on his mods/mantince http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/index.html
Common mods and mantince thread links http://www.7point3.com/Mods.aspx

Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Every time I get into my truck and drive it around a bit, I cannot get the grin off of my face.
And I've owned it for nearly three years now and it's my fourth truck.
Congrats on your new aquisition, with the proper care it will be as loyal as man's best friend.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 PM
slpin
Senior User
I am smiling just looking at the truck and when it is started... I just LOVE the sound!
its a 99 Reg Cab, Long Bed, XLT, 6 spd, and of course, 7.3
I believe I am going to leave it stock, and just do what I can to make the motor last forever.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 11-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh just wait till PMS sets in. There are so many mods to to to help the life expectancy of the motors.

Bypass Oil filtration, Coolant filtration, Intank and pre-pumps, 6637(Kwikk Filter) or AIS intake, just to name a few.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Routine maintenance (as I have learned with my '99 PSD) is key with these trucks. I just got back from Wally world and the Ford dealer and spent about $180 on oil, oil filter, fuel filter, coolant for a full flush, and coolant additive.

-Read the forum for common problems and to boost your general knowledge
-read your owners manual
-make sure your truck gets its routine mantenance
-never run her out of fuel
-give her diesel kleen with your fuel fill ups and anti-gel in the winter
-always ask these guys if you have any questions they are all real smart

and you'll be doing just fine.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Congratulations and welcome to the club. In no time at all you'll be doing the mods like the rest of us. Beware, P.S.S. is incurable.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:38 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Talking Congrats!!

I just bought a 99 myself about 6 weeks ago and LOVE IT!!! She's an all black Crew Short Bed and these guys are 100% right - mod fever is impossible to resist!! She was 98% stock when I got her (only a K&N panel filter, air bags, and leveling kit) but now has the AIS, an MKO 4" full exhaust, UnderCover bed cover, Randy Ellis Design light bar (soon to have 4 8" Hella 1000s!!) and I also have Pyro, Boost, and Trans temp gauges in an A-pillar mount waiting to be installed

Here's what's still to come:

SS HPX
Hutch mod
Harpoon mod
FS2500 bypass filter
6.0 intercooler
5R100 tranny cooler

and I'm sure that the more I read on here, the more mods I'll make!! I will say this: my focus is to keep my baby reliable and to improve my mileage. More power will help, but I'm not racing a 7,000+ pound truck - I've got a 160mph+ motorcycle for that

OH, and I named her Nyx - goddess of the night that is older and more powerful than Zeus himself!!! THAT'S MY KINDA WOMAN!!!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:45 PM
shenders99
Senior User
Welcome to the club.

Hide your wallet, cut up your credit cards, and have the wife/lady friend take care of the finances!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:55 PM
papadelogan

Thumbs up Good advice....

but I don't have a wife/gf... just me & the pup!! 6 weeks of ownership and with new tires, extra wheels, & other stuff I'm out an extra $2500+ on top of what she cost me!! and i just got paid on Friday, so there's no hope... but thanks for looking out for me!!

SLPIN - I haven't looked yet but put some pics of her in a gallery so we can see your new baby!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
We named ours too....her name is Jezebel. She's one bad b*tch!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:10 PM
papadelogan

Talking Kid's naming trucks...

I think it was on here, but I remember reading about someone that had their friend's young daughter name the truck "Rattletrap" from the noise!! LOL

Old 11-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, congrats on the purchase. My Dad has a 99, it pulls good to say the least.

This past summer I convinced him to do the MBRP 4" Turbo Back and Bilstein shocks. I think he thinks I know a thing or two about these trucks now.

If you don't want mods, stay off of here until you have a problem and then use the "search" option. Otherwise you will break like the rest of us...

Last edited by Orezona; 11-25-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Wheatina
Senior User
Me too!

Just bought my '99.5 too!! So far it's so nice I'm holding my breath...feel like the just has to be something wrong with it, but I haven't found it yet. Runs llike a champ and everything seems perfect.

Got the 5th wheel hitch in it this past week, hitched up the 5R monster (37.5ft. Montana) put her in gear and idled it out of the shop....was like it wasn't even on there. Our poor old F350 1979 crewy gasser struggled to even move the trailer. Backed the 5R into another shop with ease. MUCH, MUCH easier to back in with the extended cab over our old crew cab!! Will have to wait until spring to make a real trip, but so far we're very pleased.

If everything goes well, we won't do a lot of mods, but we live out on a very dusty farm and will be doing the 6637 filter mod. After that, we'll have to see how it does in the spring with the 5R before we'll move into all the mods.

Thanks to everyone on this forum!!! You helped a great deal with our decision to go with the older 7.3L over the 6.0L!!! We a very happy!!

Oh...put a couple of pics up in the Gallery of "Big Red", if you want to take a peak.