1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Disc brake help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 03:24 PM
58_f100_4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disc brake help

I have a 58 f-100 custom cab that is riding on 71 f-100 4x4 axels sitting on 36.5 tires which are turned by a 429 CI motor. I have just recently bought the truck and am in the process of putting it back together. It has been sitting in someones garage for almost 10 years. I have almost everything ready to hit the streets exept the brakes. When I bought it it was missing the master cylinder the past owner said he took it off and was going to replace it with a new one, only never did and now has lost the old one. So now I am faced with the problem of just replacing the master cylinder with the original 58 or doing something different. It does still have the original 71 drum brakes all the way around. I am not able to just buy a conversion kit because the axels are different. I have read that 69-70 mustang master cylinder will bolt right onto the 58's? I don't know if any master cylinder will work with any disc. I could probley switch the front axels with a 76 witch does have disc's. Only what about the rest of the set up?

I have never worked on brakes to this extent only once I find out what to do I figure it couldn't be that hard (I could be totaly wrong also). Any advise that you could give me would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Erik

Old 05-20-2002, 05:49 PM
hirschi
Senior User
Disc brake help

SOOOOOOOOOO.... You're asking what exactly? You just want to change the master cylinder or change around the the whole setup to discs? For discs, any master cylinder (newer) setup for front discs should work as long as the calipers are relatively the same size. Just get the proportioning valve assembly with it.

Otherwise- Just get the best one for drums you can get and make it fit.

Others probabley know more in this area. I just finished replumbing mine for disc/drum. 97 t-bird master with 85 suburban proportioning valve. Works great!

James

Old 05-20-2002, 08:09 PM
tdrotar
New User
Disc brake help