Golden Fuel Systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Golden Fuel Systems

Have been doing some research on using vegtable oil and noticed that golden fuel systems has had some issues with the 6.0.....specially the newer 06 model. They said it has something to do with the computer. They also mentioned that conversions are on hold for now for newer 6.0's. Below is the link to the spot on their website where they discuss the 6.0 and vegtable oil. They also discuss a number of other motors so you can see how the they are doing....good or bad.

http://www.goldenfuelsystems.com/res...ordpowerstroke

Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plant drive has a kit for the 6.0. I have one on emy truck. I have just about 30,000 miles on the kit. All is working great

Erick
2005 PSD
WVO Converted at 3900 Miles

Old 11-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
From what I have read, it sounds like there may be an issue with doing the vegtable oil on the 06 6.0's.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:01 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
An excerpt from your golden fuel system link.

"6.0 Liter Powerstroke.
The 6.0 unfortunately, is not as reliable as its older brother the 7.3.
The overall concept of the injection system is the same, but the physical size of the unit injectors is much smaller. Sometimes putting 15 pounds of potatoes in a 10 pound sack, isn’t a good idea. The other thing they added was an HFCM, or Horizontal fuel conditioning module. This is located in the frame rail, and consists of a pump, that pulls fuel through the filter, a fuel heater, and a special valve that loops the return fuel when it is cold out, for the express purpose of heating the fuel. Interesting that Ford is now doing it. We have been doing it for years now,
From its release date the 6.0 has been plagued with injector failures and little black box computer issues.
Some people go for a long time with no issues, and some are in the shop in less than 5K with major problems.
Mechanically there is not an issue running veggie in this engine. The problem is the inherent computer glitches, and the tendency for injector issues.
We have converted quite a few 6.0 Powerstrokes with varying degrees of success. For the most part they do fine, but we have had a few people have to get injectors replaced. The good news is that in all those cases the dealerships looked at them and said they were the same issues they were seeing across the board so they provided warranty service.
The lift pumps are also a weak spot on these engines.
With the newer 06 6.0, we have had a unique issue with the computers on them that we have not pinpointed yet. We are continuing to dig and see if we can get to the bottom of it.
Overall, I would not go out and buy a 6.0 if I still had a choice, they have been plagued with to many inherent problems that Ford has not really fixed yet. If you already have one, it can be converted, but you will need to go in with your eyes open that there have been some issues with this engine, and your warranty may not be in affect if the dealership chooses to get nasty about it. I strongly recommend you talk to them before converting a 6.0. The new 6.0 conversions are on hold for the time being, until we figure out what is going on with the computer issues, and if they are even veggie related."

I find it incredulous that a company would recommend against purchasing a particular vehicle simply because they can't figure out how to adapt their product to that vehicle. I also find it interesting that they admit that "a few" of the kits they installed have resulted in injector failures and they consider themselves lucky that they were covered under warranty.

Personally, if I were looking for a WVO kit for a 6.0, I'd be looking somewhere else.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:22 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pickupman2004
From what I have read, it sounds like there may be an issue with doing the vegtable oil on the 06 6.0's.
I know for a fact that 6 other trucks are setup like mine. All have had no issues since converting. I still drive my truck round trip to work everyday on WVO. That's 62 miles of driving about 52 of it is done on WVO 5 days a week.

I've read all the threads about not running WVO in a 6.0. I'm still waiting for my truck to brake due to WVO. When it does I'll let everyone know. But, in my mind a 6.0 is a perfect engine to run WVO it runs hot, it has fuel rails that run through the heads, and it's high pressure.

Erick

2005 PSD
Plant Drive WVO kit

Old 11-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
With regards to Golden Fuels comments on the 6.0, I read it as they have seen to many issues with the 6.0.......none of which were really related to using vegetable oil. I also talked to the owner of Golden Fuel today.....he said that they have done a number of conversions and many of the trucks ended up having issues.....but none of them had the same issue. Their feeling is that the 6.0's just have inherent problems and adding and aftermarket vegetable oil fuel system doesn't help people when trying to get warrant work done. Oh, by the way, greasecar says they are still doing research on the 6.0.....so it sounds like they have the same take on things as Golden Fuels.

leskwvo......glad to know that you have been running your 05 6.0 on vegetable oil with out any issues. I am going to go and check out Plant drive right now.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:05 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting how so many conclusions can be drawn from the same little bit of information.....ain't life grand.

Anyway...what's all this legwork for? Are you getting a 6.0?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
I currently have an 04 6.0 with over 101,000 miles on it. Have been thinking about buying a new 07....or possibly a used 02 with the 7.3 (ran accross a decent used one recently). Anyways, no matter what truck I am going to drive, I would be interested in running it on svo.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:34 PM
willbd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pickupman2004
I currently have an 04 6.0 with over 101,000 miles on it. Have been thinking about buying a new 07....or possibly a used 02 with the 7.3 (ran accross a decent used one recently). Anyways, no matter what truck I am going to drive, I would be interested in running it on svo.
Why not convert your 04 with the 6.0? If you are putting on 50K miles a year you will save a ton of money running WVO.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Pickupman2004
Tuned
I have actually had my trucks since Nov. of 03.....so it is more like 35,000 miles a year....but still, that is above the norm. One reason why I have thought about getting another truck was becuase I have had some issues along the way and am not sure if I trust this particular motor. I also am with the impression that trucks do not seem be selling as fast as dealers would like....so I thought I might be able to get a good deal on an 07.

Since this thread was intended on discussing Golden Fuel Systems (and any other systems for svo/wvo) I will try to get back on topic......anyone else out there with a 6.0 running on vegetable oil?

Old 11-28-2006, 04:29 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
I have only read of a few other 6.0 trucks being converted. Of the four major kit builders 2 of them have kits for the 6.0. Most 6.0 owners are reluctant to convert a truck with a warranty still intact. Others can't believe it can be done.

You are in a perfect position in my mind, you've owned the truck since new so you know the truck, you are out of warranty, and you sound mechanically inclined enough to do the conversion yourself.

Taking a new 6.0 and converting it is not for the faint of hart. You will have fuel system warranty issues, or worse. You won't know if you got a good motor or bad motor since it takes 30-50K for anything significant to happen. Don't get me wrong I did mine at 3900 miles and so far I've had an alternator go bad and the EGR valve plug up. The alternator was replaced under warranty with the WVO system intact, the EGR valve I replaced with Ebay parts for $37.

I still drive with my sphincter puckered thinking something is going to happen that will cost me far more then I saved in fuel so far, but what he $ell that is why they make preparation H right.

Erick
05 PSD
WVO kit with over 28K on it