Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Camry named car of the year

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:21 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
That's about as shocking as Jimmy Johnson and Kevin Havick winning their NASCAR championships last weekend.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Not a fan of Toyota, but Camry probably did deserve to win.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:09 AM
Electro
Junior User
It's a pretty nice car.. alittle gutless compared to the nissans but ok.. My friend has a camry and it has 325,000 on it in 5 years.. he does sales in multiple states and has to drive.. In the shop once.. so far a nice buy.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:50 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing significant about the latest Camry is the hybrid model. Styling is subjective, but driving one puts you to sleep. Having said that, they are overall very reliable and long lasting. Dad is closing in on 200,000 miles on his 1999 Camry with no repairs other than an IAC valve.

Jim

Old 11-23-2006, 08:22 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
i hope they are nothing like corrollas, because i am renting one right now and that thing feels like a cheap lego set.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:48 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Wife's car is a Solara (Camry based). It's great and has been very reliable and fuel efficient. Only problem was water pump went out and it was replaced under warranty no questions asked at 58000 miles.

I drive it a lot instead of my F150.

She's now a loyal Toyota buyer, and I can't blame her. They make very good products and then stand behind them with courtious service people.

Mike

Old 11-23-2006, 03:10 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An who says Ford cars will not give just as good as service or more. Tell your wife to try a Ford car. Maybe save some American jobs in the meantime. The gap between the american cars an the foreighn ones has closed. Toyota has had a bunch off a recalls on there vehicles. Isnt that something though it seems liike its not as public as much as Ford or GM when they have a recall.
As for curent cars Ford has rated higher then Toyota an Honda in the relaibility department Nuff said. The Toyota superiority is not there anymore.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Recalls doesn't have to be a bad thing. What's wrong with company admiting they have problem and then fix that problem at no cost for customers? Would you rather have company ignore problem and do nothing about it?

Old 11-23-2006, 05:25 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Red Star
Recalls doesn't have to be a bad thing. What's wrong with company admiting they have problem and then fix that problem at no cost for customers? Would you rather have company ignore problem and do nothing about it?
I thought Toyota solved a recent recall in a creative way. They neglected to put a baby seat retainer in some of their regular cab trucks (Tundra I think) and it had the air bag deactivition switch. Rather than installing the required retainer, the recall called for deactivating the air bag cutoff switch so you couldn't use it at all to transport a baby. They met the letter of the law but not the intent.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:19 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No surprise here. It has to be a new of redsigned model. Ford didn't even have a car in the lineup and Chevy only had one.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:52 PM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't care what a bunch of journalists think, do you? Bet very few on the Motor Trend staff have bona fide engineering degrees. Seems to me that for a highly complex electro-mechanical assembly opinions on design integrity should come from people trained in those areas. Winning an award because of the cup holders or other such nonsense is just not important in my purchasing decision.
In fact, I went and looked at new Camarys a few weeks ago, just another boring, jelly bean, 4 door family sedan. Hard to tell the difference between the Corolla, Camary and Avalon, they should just have sizes, small, medium, and large, no need for model names. If that's what you need, go for it!

Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 150ford
An who says Ford cars will not give just as good as service or more. Tell your wife to try a Ford car. Maybe save some American jobs in the meantime. The gap between the american cars an the foreighn ones has closed. Toyota has had a bunch off a recalls on there vehicles. Isnt that something though it seems liike its not as public as much as Ford or GM when they have a recall.
As for curent cars Ford has rated higher then Toyota an Honda in the relaibility department Nuff said. The Toyota superiority is not there anymore.

Interesting.......last time I checked, it took more Americans to assemble the Camry than it did a Fusion........unless Mexico is part of the US now???

Old 11-26-2006, 02:59 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Red Star
Do you understand a lot, if not most, recalls are FORCED by the Gubment???

If anyone cares, just got my class action lawsuit thingy in the mail concerning V6 Toyotas sludging up......used to own an '02 Lexus.

So yeah, Toy isn't perfect either.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:14 AM
moldman7n
Senior User
Originally Posted by osbornk
I thought Toyota solved a recent recall in a creative way. They neglected to put a baby seat retainer in some of their regular cab trucks (Tundra I think) and it had the air bag deactivition switch. Rather than installing the required retainer, the recall called for deactivating the air bag cutoff switch so you couldn't use it at all to transport a baby. They met the letter of the law but not the intent.
Imagine if Ford or GM did something this ridiculous on a recall? You would never hear the end of it from the news media.

Quick Reply: Camry named car of the year