General Automotive Discussion

safety ratings

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:48 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 156 Likes on 94 Posts
safety ratings

New safety rating are out -- no US vehicles got the top rating.

Why? -- no stability controls. The insurance folks that apparently control this say that 'extensive testing shows the value of these controls' (paraphrase -- I don't have the article in fron of me)

More complicated systems are being promoted. But wait, reports say that
ABS and other existing systems aren't reducing accidents/injuries.

Well, why not? Apparently, drivers are more aggressive because they feel more invulnerable. So, the more technology advances, the faster and more recklessly people drive.

Add this to the complexity, and maybe we're going the wrong direction.
1. ABS has been shown to be less effective than a good driver
2. Stability controls make some significant adjustments based on their particular criteria. (possibly impacted by rough roads etc)

I'm far from anti tech, but come on. Safety ratings are being assigned to technolgy that is not in common use, and is not regulated. Yes, the 'lab tests' look good -- but, what about the real world.

Also, who knows if the crap is even working. There are no performance tests for ABS -- much less for stability controls. So, we have to rely on self tests to say that things are OK. Self tests in general are not all that effective.

And there is the final human factor. The same morons that think that 4WD makes them invincible will be up to the next level with stabilty control . They'll be trying to hit racing speeds with SUVs -- because they're 'protected'

I don't disagree with including the technology, but carefully. Let's at least insist on an override for when the system encounters an unanticipated situation. And let's not base our insurance ratings on technology that does unexpected things to our cars.

Thanks,

ford2go

Old 11-22-2006, 02:20 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good rant. The Corvette is moving proof that stability control can be overpowered in a heartbeat. A lot of this new technology is trying to make up for a lack of good old fashioned driving skill.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:32 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've not driven a vehicle with stability control, but I do know that both the RABS on my truck and the ABS in our minivan has saved my butt more than once. I did have to learn (teach myself) how to properly use them, but once I did, they are definitely a plus.

Jason

Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
i read the article, i wonder how stability control would effect the cars safety when it gets hit by somebody? my thoughts are not at all.

it seems the only thing stability control does is compensate some for an idiot driver. if this makes it the safest car according to their eyes, so be it.

if i was to be in a wreck, i rather be in my f250 than any of those cars.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:28 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
What exactly does this particular set of saftey "ratings" mean. I have not seen the actual report, but just little radio news items and this thread, incomplete information. I take it that this is not government mandated crash test results, but something else.

Driving skill has never been a big priority for the US "safety" establishment, government or insurance industry. They assume we are all idiots that cant even be skill trained, just memorize a book of regulations and take a test. Canadian members, it it the same there?

Jim

Old 11-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
"The Marching Morons" by C. M. Kornbluth says it all...

We are well on our way and have been for many years.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
The way I understood it was that the vehicles that did the best in other tests (not necessarily the best) and had stability control were the winners. If they didn't have stability control, they were automatically eliminated. Your choses vehicle could be far safer than the winner but the lack of stability control made it "non acceptable". To me, that makes the results meaningless.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Last year 500/Montego got 5 stars and finished in the 1st place. What happened this year?

Old 11-22-2006, 03:08 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> Apparently, drivers are more aggressive because they feel more invulnerable.
> So, the more technology advances, the faster and more recklessly people drive.

If you look at the old 1970s FMVSS and DOT documents you will find the studies they did indicated the "new" disc brakes did not prevent any more fatal accidents then vehicles with four wheel drum brakes. Why?

They basically said in so many 100s of words it most comes down to driver error and a person that is going to cause an accident will do it no matter what vehicle they are driving.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:01 PM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
I see where VOLVO has a new gissmo that keeps you from getting to close to the car in front..shezammmmmm We need to have electronic governors that are controled by signals sent to the car as it enters differant speed zones,,,,,,,Just think everyone WILL then be forsed to stay at or below THE LEGAL LIMIT.......When you have the car inspected any tampering will result in a failed inspection and heavy fine,Tell me this wouldnt save lives .and fuel

Old 11-26-2006, 06:38 AM
Leader
Elder User
If everyone stays at or below the "Legal Limit" then we won't have ANYONE ever killed in a vehicle because *THEY* say that is safe. How are we going to deal with the over population that results?

Old 11-26-2006, 07:22 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
...and police departments around the country would be grossly underfunded. If anyone was actually serious about making sure people didn't speed, then fines would not be $100-200, they would be $2000, $5000, $10000, or whatever is costly to the offender. Harsh penalties change behavior, not laws.

Jason