Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cooling System Drain on Engine Block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:53 PM
bumpdraft
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cooling System Drain on Engine Block?

Hello,

I have a 2001 F-350 Superduty 7.3L Powerstroke with 41,000 miles on it.<O

Is there a cooling system drain on the engine block?<O

I believe the system holds 8+ gallons or so. Only a little over 2 gallons total drained from the radiator and coolant degas reservoir.<O

The OEM shop manuals do not seem to mention or show a drawing of a coolant drain plug on the engine block. I’ve looked on the block, but no luck.<O

<O
There is a plug for a coolant filter near the thermostat, but I was hoping for one lower in the system. In searching, I removed 2 plugs from the block and found oil, but no coolant!<O

I have a case of Ford Premium Cooling System Fluid (E2FZ-19549-AA) and a bottle of F-15 coolant conditioner......but where’s the drain plug? <O

Thanks<O

Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Each side of the block toward the back they have a 1/4" square drive.

On the driverside if you get under the truck and find the oil filter mount, between it and the bell housing. the pass side is in about the same spot above the starter. There will also be about 1 gallon in the heater core.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be sure you get the right plug. There's also an oil plug in that area. Look at this pic: https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...133604&width=0
The one that has the black hose going into it next to the oil filter is the oil plug. The water drain plug is the other plug, above the one with the hose in it.

Also, only 2 gallons from the radiator? I remember getting 4-5 gallons out of my radiator.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can't miss the "handy" location of the one on the passenger side.
Just look at the worst place for it, right above the starter and you're good to go on that side. Out in the open on the driver's side.
When you re-install the plugs, put a little pipe thread compound or anti sieze and they'll come out smooth the next time too.
Make sure you disconnect the batts, the starter wire is all but impossible to avoid.

AustinS

Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 AM
bumpdraft
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everybody!

Only 2 gallons from the radiator seemed strange to me too. I will check to make sure there is no crud blocking the radiator drain. A coolant filter might be in order.

Thanks for the driver’s side picture!

Drain onto the starter? After being resigned to NO coolant drain on the block, I’ll take whatever drain location I can get!

I haven’t done anything for the engine so far, except change the oil and filter every 4000 miles. This pickup truck usually sees very light duty. Now that the “new” is wearing off, it is time to start looking into things.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:05 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Once the "mod bug" bites, theres no cure!

Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Since you are flushing the coolant, I and several others here are using Shell Rotella ELC coolant. It's specially formulated for heavy duty diesel engines with anti-cavitation compounds in the formula. It's good for 300,000 miles. (not a typo).
It's a deep red color and you must flush all of the old coolant out before you put in the ELC.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I put a trash bag around the starter and then just let the coolant drain around it.

Here is a flush procedure http://www.dieselsite.com/pdffiles/evans.pdf its for evans but I used it when i changed to Rotella ELC.

With the ELC a leaky weep hole on the water pump looks like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.