Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

blend door question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:35 PM
kenderish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blend door question

95 XLT, no heat coming through vents. Control valve seems to be working, hot hoses on both sides of heater core. After reading the posts regarding the blend door, I took off the actuator motor to do the 'free fix' but when I stick my finger into the actuator hole I feel no shaft for the actuator to fit into, even when I use a coat hanger to feel around I can't find anything for the actuator pin to fit into. Any help?

Old 11-22-2006, 12:03 PM
talon dad
New User
Hi Kenderish, sounds like you have the same problem I had.. Take a look at the info & pictures my gallery, hopefully it will help you. This fix is still working for me (2 years later).

Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 PM
erinbarron
New User
If you remove the actuator to check, and find the blender door is broken, you can leave the actuator off and get some heat out until you get it fixed. My wifes was broken and it was putting out no heat. Doesn't work at 20 degrees very well.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:54 PM
kenderish
New User
thanks for the info guys

I just cut the bottom of the blend box to access the door, found that the top part of the pivot shaft was broken about three inches down so the free fix wouldn't have helped me at all nor will I have to reconstruct the part where the actuator fits as it is intact. I did hit it with some super glue and will let it set overnight. I'm not so confident that this will work but I'm going to try it before having to hunt down some superstrength epoxy or even a new door (I hear that Napa sells them now). We'll see how this works before I reseal the box.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:06 PM
K2JJB
Elder User
I like this "plan B"... too bad I do not have the pieces anymore... previous owner tossed them out and also broke the shaft on the actuator... HOWEVER... seeing that you can get it out this way makes me think of a few ways to be able to get the servo motor back in contact with the door.... thanks Talon Dad!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
"I hear that Napa sells them now"

Wow, Napa has them and the dealer cant even get them? If you find a Napa part number please share.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 AM
K2JJB
Elder User
Originally Posted by HomerWinzlow
"I hear that Napa sells them now"

Wow, Napa has them and the dealer cant even get them? If you find a Napa part number please share.
So, I went to Napa online to see what they had.... check this out.... sure does look like it (I might have to try it out and see.... I also now need to get a new actuator motor with a complete shaft).

click here

In case the link does not work... it is NAPAonline(dot)com and the PN is "BK 6601810"

Old 12-07-2006, 06:52 AM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
It certainly looks like a blend door in the picture but it is described as a repair latch? If you get one please let me know if it is actually the full door and if it is just for one model. The only thing I see as an issue there is that the entire plenum still has to be removed to replace the door. You save the cost of the full plenum which is significant but that labor is still substantial. Thanks

Last edited by HomerWinzlow; 12-07-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:54 AM
K2JJB
Elder User
If I get one I will post the pictures of it. Still need to work on getting a new actuator first In any case, if I do use it I am going to go in by cutting a hole in the bottom of the plenum and putting it in that way (as described in Talon Dad's gallery) since I have no desire to pull the dash out on a vehicle with 200k+ miles!

It came up specifically on their site when I plugged in my model year (97) and then did a search on blend door. Others can likely do the same for their model year and see what comes up.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
K2JJB
Elder User
I stopped by my local NAPA today and they had one in stock. I looked at it and it seemed to be the correct one. I bought it. I got the old one out (via the hole cut into the bottom of the box... modified version of what Talon Dad posted - thanks!) and was able to get the replacement in after confirming that it was indeed the same. The "kit" I got for 10 bucks from NAPA also had some other parts in there (another plenum door, likely for the defrost setting and some other parts). In any case.... for a 97 it is the right one. My servo motor had a busted shaft on it as well (previous owner did damage) but there was enough there to engage the door.... so after 4 years the vehicle again has a temperature control! YAY!

Sorry about no pics... we moved a while back and I have yet to locate the digital camera.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:52 AM
tgarci01
New User
Great thread as my shaft is snapped as well... Anyone able to share some pictures or info on where or what to cut? I've got the new NAPA blend door to install...

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:11 PM
K2JJB
Elder User
check the gallery for Talondad at https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...?userid=131456 I found it to be most helpful...

Old 05-13-2007, 06:40 PM
trimman
Senior User
Blend door

Well I changed mine out this weekend. Many thanks for all the input on this matter from the members especially Talon Dad. Mine is a 97 POS that I bought with the same problem. TD's walked me through the first part but, there could have been more info? First of all is how to remove the actuator that just snaps on? TD's pics helped a whole lot in where to cut. I couldn't get the old damaged door out and TD's remedy wouldn't work on my 97 as I would have to cut out the brace AROUND for 5 inches plus? Easier solution is to split the pelumn at the joint with a chisel at the joint just behind the glovebox and pry open and reseal. When installing the new door position the bottom in first and then the top as the cut won't allow it in reverse. Mines done cept for the patch on the pelumn and works great. Be aware, this is not an easy fix as it took 5 hrs. 2 hrs of that was figuring how to get the old door out? TD. you make it sound so easy like the pelumn is out of the truck on your workbench? trimman

Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 AM
K2JJB
Elder User
hmm.... I cut in the area list on TalonDad's gallery and did cut under the pivot and pulled it down carefully to give the clearance (basically made a flap) all said and done I had it out and replaced in about an hour and change. So I guess your mileage may vary... of course I also had another hole in the plenum (from the previous owner) and that might have helped with my putting the thing back in more easily. In the end I did not glue anything back but used the silver (metal) duct tape (like HVAC tape, not the stuff you seel all over the place) to hold it all back together.